Your Favorite Way to Cook…

Favourite way to cook fish - filet or whole fish.

Pan in the oven, drizzle with oil and pepper. Depends on style, can be either ginger, garlic and fish sauce or soy. Herbs with lemon. or spices and shallot.

7 Likes

I have no “favorite” way to cook - but I don’t do frying. Just oven-fry.

As for Bacon - :bacon: :bacon: :bacon: on weekends, mostly, with a splatter screen. (Which don’t work as well as I’d like them to. So my “hanging-in-on-Sunday” weekend clothes have a tendency to have grease splotches. :woman_shrugging: )

Everything else - still, mostly on weekends. And seasonally - I’m mostly into roasts and braises now. My personal Thanksgiving turkey breast meal on Saturday will give me plenty of convert-into-other-recipes (chili or turkey pot pie) once I’ve had it up to my eyeballs with turkey day dinner leftovers.

But I love making a composed salad in the summertime when I have access to fresh local veg - although I’m still usually using up some leftover chicken or steak on said salad. Can’t have gas or charcoal grills in my complex, so I’ll use a grill pan if I gotta have a boigah.

For quick meals during the week - there’s always something in the downstairs freezer like meat sauce for Prince Spaghetti Day on Wednesdays, or earlier leftovers from cooking larger meals (i.e., mac & ham and cheese or lasagna), or sometimes I plan and I actually pull something out to defrost for dinner that night.

I’m just cooking for myself, so if I want cream cheese scrambled eggs and a toasted English muffin, I can do so. I can pivot easily enough if I decide driving home from work that I really need a steak and cheese and stop and get appropriate sub rolls and shaved steak, if there’s none in the freezer.

And I’m not so proud that I can’t say that a weeknight meal has been a glass of wine and cheddar goldfish, with the crackers artfully arranged in a contrasting color bowl. :wink:

8 Likes

Just make sure to cook bacon fully clothed…otherwise - ouch.

2 Likes

Interesting - re method #2, do you then boil/simmer the water off until bacon is done? Is there still enough flavor left? Never done it that way…

1 Like

I’ve tried this method, and can’t say I really care for it. Just takes longer than necessary, Ave student really make it any simpler, in my opinion. I much prefer to stick a few slices in my counter top oven.

I’ve read the few comments about not enjoying cooking, and I realize I like eating far more than cooking! :joy:. So I enjoy cooking food that I like, and this is usually on weekends or holidays. The daily grind of cooking can be such a chore, especially after long work days. While I don’t mind cooking, and I still prefer cooking most nights than just doing take out or delivery, I would also totally opt for a personal chef if I could afford one.

With that being said, I do love cooking for Thanksgiving, making roast or braised pork belly, or roasting whole fish, and steaming fresh crabs, amongst other dishes. I’m all in to learn how to make my favorite for myself (though agree on keeping frying to a minimum).

7 Likes

I cook to live . I live to eat . Cheers :wine_glass:

5 Likes

Favorite way to cook?

I’d have to say at … oh … about 0.15% BAC. :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

I don’t notice any loss of flavor. The water results in more even rendering of the fat, which is good for thicker, fattier bacon.

2 Likes

Diced and oven roast with chopped dried dates until semi-crisp and served with whipped goat cheese smeared on sliced ciabatta bread.

2 Likes

Word!

2 Likes

Ugh mobile phone autocorrect strikes again! That should read “…and doesn’t really make it any simpler…”

One note I will add is that while I’m not a baker by any stretch of the imagination, when I do successfully bake something, it’s probably the most satisfying, if only because I’m the astonished at being able to do that. I used to be so happy with every loaf of milk bread that came out of the oven.

3 Likes

I love BBQ

1 Like

Braised, grilled, roasted, stir fried-in that order. Fwiw, straight up oil frying is my least favorite.

My favorite way to cook is by frying or baking.