Your favorite savory cookies?

Exactly. In the US, they are an exotic treat, but fortunately very easy to make.

1 Like

Yes, they are easy to make if you have a baking penchant.

I do not !! My Maternal grandmother made those in the photo with my Mother.

The package is what I buy !!!

From the category of “sometimes I like boring food, so sue me”, I bring you oatcakes. I’ve never tried making them at home, but one commercial version lists only oatmeal*, oil, salt, and sodium bicarbonate - so I get the feeling it might be a recipe that even I can try! :slight_smile:
The name “oatcakes” can be confusing in a North American context, because they’re far from our usual definition of “cake”. Instead of cake, it would be closer to the truth to imagine oatmeal cookies, but with no wheat flour (or only a little), no sugar, and no eggs. Or you could just think of “cake” in the non-baking sense: in the same way that fish cakes are flat things made of minced fish, oatcakes are flat things made of ground oats. (I’ve seen them re-labelled as “oat crackers”, but they don’t seem cracker-y in texture at all to me.)

Anything you would eat on crackers, you can eat it on oatcakes. Most things you would put on North American biscuits work well too. (I started to say “anything” for the biscuits as well, but then I imagined a plate with oatcakes and gravy, and… well, I put “most things”, OK? :slight_smile:)

Seeing imported ones in a store, you might say “That’s a pretty expensive little box of crackers” - but they’re much more satisfying than your average crackers in terms of feeling like you’ve really had something to eat.

And if you smell burning oats, that might be me experimenting. :slight_smile:

* (not rolled oats but ground oats, often the roughly-ground type)

1 Like

These show up at our local grocery store every once in a while.
Thanks for explaining them because I never quite understood what they were for.
:cowboy_hat_face:

I’m sticking with cracker. :hugs::cookie:

2 Likes

They’re too crumbly to be crackers IMO. But it still might be the closest “American word” available.