Your favorite salad dressing recipe, please!

I make a cup at a time, more rice vin than oil and a nice nub of cleaned ginger in the jar. Shake well. Taste as you pour to see what you like.

1 Like

CREAMY HONEY MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE from Half Baked Harvest

• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • kosher salt

My wife enjoys this dressing on green salads that include roasted cauliflower, roasted chickpeas or roasted beets. Again, small batch in a jar, shake well.

1 Like

Honey Miso
my sisters recipe

• ⅓ cup white miso paste
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • ¼ cup rice vinegar
  • ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil

Add the miso paste, ginger, garlic, honey, sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar and olive oil to a jar. Leave room temp in cooler months. This is delicious on Chinese chicken salad.

3 Likes

"That’s what I lime.

I’ll ask before someone brings it up. Is there a botulism prism with the garlic in oil ?"

was supposed to say

"That’s what I like!

I’ll ask before someone brings it up. Is there a botulism risk with the garlic in oil ?"

1 Like

I figured as much :wink:

2 Likes

Salad dressing for Tomato salad

In a bowl combine:

1 teaspoon sumac
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Add to a 1/2 cup of your fav light olive oil and blend well. Drizzle over assorted sliced tomatoes and top with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 Likes

there was a discussion on that topic perhaps a. year ago
![Be Aware of the Risks of Botulism With Homemade Garlic-Infused Oi

Making your own olive oil infusions at home is one of the joys of experimenting with great ingredients and tasting the delicious results. But when it comes to making garlic oil, many people aren’t aware that there are some very real health dangers that can arise. Botulism is potentially fatal food poisoning, and it can come about when making garlic-infused oil at homeThe bacteria spores that cause botulism are called Clostridium botulinum, and they can spread in certain foods when not exposed to oxygen—as is the case when infusing garlic in oil.
https://garlicmatters.com/how-to-safely-preserve-garlic-in-oil/

Note - this one needs to be used quickly or it goes quite fishy.

1 Like

That sounds fab @Rooster. Trying it ASAP

1 Like

I’m terrible in that I don’t pay attention to measuring when I’m making salad dressing. I make whatever fits into my glass jar that I’m using to hold it.

My go to is usually a sherry shallot vinaigrette type of dressing, but I’ll sub sherry for various fruit vinegars or even champagne vinegar if I have it. I always start with shallots (whatever bulb(s) are leftover) and mince and then I start to pour vinegar and a drop of mustard in for the base - how much depends on how big is my jar. :sweat:. Then I whisk in oil until it tastes good. I start off with half of what I want, and usually will add both vinegar and oil until the balance is there, and then salt and pepper at the end. I also prefer dressings that are more tart and also more liquid-like, than thick ones.

1 Like

I don’t know what the official Food-Safety Authority Word on that would be *, but between heating the garlic and oil together hot enough to brown the garlic even just to “barely golden” (which I can’t see happening below 247F) and the large amount of lemon juice (which is quite acidic, more so than 5% vinegar), botulism should be a total non-issue.

* Probably “absent rigorous testing in a qualified laboratory, we cannot approve the recipe”…:wink:

2 Likes

champagne vinegar or white balsamic, your fav fresh herbs chopped fine, minced shallots, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, olive oil and one anchovy. whirl in blender and toss into antipasto salad.

1 Like

I thought it was just me! Like, why can I cook so many things but can’t do Vinaigrette properly? I can’t even duplicate a plain Oil & Vinegar Dressing from a Peruvian restaurant I like. Salad dressing is one of those seemingly simple things that is actually a tell. Like some chefs say a good tell is whether or not a chef can cook eggs properly. Eggs! Anyway, thanks for posting this and allowing me to vent. Carry on.

…Oh yeah, the reason we’re here. Here’s my only successful one.

• Grapeseed or any Vegetable Oil
  • Lime Juice
  • Honey
  • S&P

I think the difference between good and bad Vinaigrette is proportions. Next time I’ll pay attention to measurements and post them. This is great on Crunchy Romain Salad w/Apples, Robusto Cheese, Avocado, Cranberries, Walnuts & Croutons. Apple Season!

2 Likes

Spicy cashew dressing and fresh shallot vinaigrette. I make a batch for salads and over roasted veg.

If they appeal to you, I can add the full recipes.

3 Likes

Recipes please!

May I ask where you are from? Curious about your use of ‘catsup’ vs ‘ketchup’ and wondering if it’s a regional thing.

my version with amounts:

sherry shallot vinaigrette

1 medium shallot, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
1 clove garlic , minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/3 cup sherry vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil

in a small mason jar or in a bowl add the shallot, garlic, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, dijon mustard, sherry vinegar and olive oil and mix thoroughly — i use a jar (why dirty a bowl and whisk:) put the lid on and shake.

2 Likes

Spicy cashew:
1 cup cashews, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar, 1 – 1.5 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, 1.5 teaspoons fish sauce, 1.5 teaspoons honey, 1 garlic clove, Kosher salt to taste In a fb until blended well. Then stream in 2/3 cup water until smooth.

Vinaigrette from Alexandra’s Kitchen
3 to 4 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup white balsamic vinegar, my preference is Colavita
1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil

Pulse chunks of cleaned shallots in fp until Small dice. Bloom in vinegar and salt for 15 mins in a bowl. Whisk in oil.

1 Like

San Francisco. Always heard, read, said “catsup”.

I’ve often wondered about that as well, and once stumbled upon this;

“According to a Heinz spokesperson, Henry John Heinz first brought his product to market as “Heinz Tomato Catsup,” but changed the spelling early on to distinguish it from competitors. Del Monte did not switch spellings until 1988, after it became clear that ketchup was the spelling of choice for American consumers. Hunt’s switched the name of their product from catsup to ketchup significantly earlier.”

Writing catsup is faster.

Back to the topic; is there a secret to a salad dressing that is good for a week or more? I’d like to make it once, and use it all week. I don’t mind shaking it up, but sometimes it just doesn’t seem to emulsify again. Mustard helps, and maybe honey.