Your favorite food scene in a movie

How about Today’s Special. Upcoming chef quits his job at fancy restaurant where he is not being promoted and winds up running his dad’s Indian restaurant - the last thing he ever wanted to do.

5 Likes

Love’s Kitchen isn’t in the class of most of your list, but for what it’s worth, a celebrity chef makes a brief appearance as himself. And Pip Torrens also shows up.

. . . what’s also special is the incomparable Madhur Jaffrey.

2 Likes

Good to know.

Memorable choreography.

Three hardboiled eggs came first:

3 Likes

Still ordering:

3 Likes

Thanks Wine - I was trying to remember the name of that movie. That was good.

1 Like

Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe (1980)
filmed at the UC Theatre, Berkeley with cooking help from Alice Waters

from youtube:

In 1979, Les Blank took a detour to film German filmmaker Werner Herzog honoring a vow he made to Errol Morris that he (Herzog) would eat his shoe if Morris ever actually made one of his films he was forever talking about. Stung to action, Morris directed Gates of Heaven and Herzog, true to his word, returned to Berkeley to consume one of his desert boots at the UC Theater. Blank’s film documents Herzog’s strongly expressed belief that people must have the guts to attempt what they dream of.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

I love many of the films mentioned, especially Big Night and Babette’s Feast. What sweet films.

Let me offer a grotesque addition to the list: the whole film “The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover” by Peter Greenaway is food-centric, along with much else, like layered historical references. Conceptually and cinematically, it’s exquisite. But it’s also the first film that nauseated me, and it did so twice in the first viewing. The concluding scene is unforgettable. (It’s a smart film, but edgy.)

Watch if you dare (truly, don’t go there if squeamish; cannibalism is involved):

On looking back to the original post, I guess I should clarify that I wasn’t inspired to recreate the meal.

5 Likes

Still going! What a diverse list of films! Fantastic.

Oh well.

At nbc.com the Blues Brothers are at it:

Jake – search for “snl samurai delicatessen”.

Elwood – search for “snl french chef”.

3 Likes

Someone else remembered Monty Python…

How could we forget this Baron who moonlighted in memorable films when he wasn’t at the House of Lords until legislation took away his seat:

2 Likes

Not from a movie but the last line of this clip is the best!

No line will best “I’ll have what she’s having”!:grin:

9 Likes

Wood May as a cab driver in San Francisco Chinatown explaining that he can get a bigger tip when he explains the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese cooking to his passenger in the first 1:50 of “Chan is MIssing” from 1982. Also the scene with the cook at Golden Dragon starting at the 8:20 mark.

Desk Set (1957); the 10 minute scene where Spencer Tracy cooks fried chicken for Katherine Hepburn in her apartment after they get caught in the rain and she invites him in so he can dry up. Of course, Gig Young (her fiancee) eventually barges in unannounced, and much awkwardness ensues.
deskset

4 Likes

Thanks for introducing this movie. I’ve never heard of it and look forward to watching it. According to Wikipedia, it got 100% approval on Rotten Tomatoes which is almost unheard of.

2 Likes