Yes, we are effed thanks to Brexit

Jay Rayner on what Brexit means for food in the U.K.

[https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/15/food-and-brexit-will-the-cupboard-be-bare-jay-rayner?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other]

(John Hartley) #2

You’ve just beaten me to posting that link.

Even Rees-Mogg, the arch Brextremist, has suggested that it’ll be 50 years before the UK could see any real benefit. Fifty years, FFS! By which time, the oldies who voted for it (I am an oldie but didnt) will be pushing up daisies.

(Jimmy ) #3

Might there be a trend here?

(John Hartley) #4

Interesting article, Jimmy. Thanks

What a depressing read but thanks for posting it.

(Jimmy ) #6

“Even as the number of dairy farms shrinks, the milk supply continues to grow as the remaining farms get ever larger. In 1987, half of American dairy farms had 80 cows or fewer; by 2012, that number was 900 cows. In March, Walmart announced plans to open its own bottling plant in Indiana, leading Dean Foods, a major Walmart supplier, to terminate its contracts with over 100 dairy farmers in eight states.” - From the Eater article

I’m not a Brit, but what I’ve read during the Brexit campaign was that it was ferociously supported financially by the international banking community. Crisis in the UK would provide opportunities for immense profit elsewhere.

That’s why I cited the Eater article. It’s a “I’ll drive your family farm out of existence, and benefit my corporation,” strategy. And it’s worldwide.

(John Hartley) #7

Probably not quite as straight as that. But I’m certain in my mind that many of Brextremists see the opportunity to turn the UK in to some form of low regulation offshore tax haven. It is why they advocate a “no deal” Brexit which would mean we had no links to the continent wide regulation of such things as workers rights and environmental protection.

What is also fairly certain is that a number of, erm “shadowy” organisations which had given support to the Trump campaign, also had involvememt with the Leave campaign and, indeed, far right organisations across Europe. My feeling is that those organisations have a profit motive at their core, alongside societal changes.

I have heard that some English want to organise another public vote on Brexit referendum. Will this be happening?

(John Hartley) #9

It’s very unclear at present. What many of us are saying is that we should have the right to vote on whatever final deal the government negotiates with the EU, including an option to vote to stay in. So far, the position of both major political parties is not to allow that final vote, so it looks unlikely. The problem is that those parties are hopelessly split on the subject and I’m not sure that any deal would have a majority in parliament. Every day, it just looks a bigger problem. The Labour Party has its annual conference in a few days and the idea of a “Peoples Vote” is to be debated. If that happens, the pressure in parliament will grow.

(For the Horde!) #10

News articles tend to be more negative than positive. The reason is that a negative news sell better than a positive news. (not saying anything about Brexit, but just in general)