Yangzhou Fried Rice - NJ/NY

Has anyone seen yangzhou fried rice on the menu anywhere in NJ or NYC specifically a broth evaporation technique? I watched a youtube video that shows a technique of adding in quite a lot of broth to the rice that blew my mind and it looks SO good. I would love to try but wanted to see if anyone had a lead on where we could find this specific style! Thank you!!!

(post deleted by author)

How does the broth evaporation technique work? like with risotto / paella?

Yangzhou fried rice like other fried rice are typically made with day old rice sauteed in a high heat wok with cooking oil. So the rice is already cooked when the fried rice is assembled. Are we saying how the rice is cooked in the first place?

With paella though, once the liquid is gone one can get some soccarat, but its somewhat difficult i’d imagine, to get the pan hot enough at that point to get ‘wok hei’.

That sound a bit unusual of Yangzhou fried rice. Maybe they are trying to mix the concept of “raw fried rice (生炒飯)” with Yangzhou fried rice?
Just curious, is this the one which starts with raw rice or soaked raw rice and then gradually add broth/stock cook and evaporate, add broth/stock and cook and evaporate… This is a laborsome technique and many restaurants no longer do this. They may still use the name in their menu, but not sure how many actually do this

Is it kind of like this technique?

Add raw rice to the wok… and add stock at 5:00, 5:30, 6:12…ec.

Here is a link to the video I was watching: https://youtu.be/xFTXwNIU514?si=QmY9lxKIZh5hcNB0

It’s not raw rice but he adds tons of liquid to it!

2 Likes

Similar I think but the video I posted, the chef uses way more liquid and a more aggressive tossing technique to coat each grain.

I see. He still uses cooked rice. Yeah, this is a small twist of the classic fried rice. He just wanted to add some stocks to the rice. In my opinion, he would need to use rice that is not fully cooked. Otherwise, the double cooking (one from last night and one from the wok) will over cooked the rice and the texture won’t be too good. I know he tried to add a little stock each time, but still.
It is good that people keep exploring the limit of traditional cooking and see where they can modify.
To your original question, no I don’t know many restaurants do this.

1 Like

ah. so the liquid is added as he’s tossing, pretty much evaporating right away, imparting the flavor but not the liquid.

Uncle Roger is commenting on a video from Jiangsu, China. That dish is RMB$268. So that’s high end with some additional labor. May be a top end Chinese restaurant here, but definitely not one of those that serves up $15 yangzhou fried rice. The question is, is any one here willing to pay $50 for a fried rice?

1 Like

Obviously the only correct answer is we need to fly to China to experience this dish in person!!!

6 Likes

I think that’s kind of impossible to know unless you’ve been in the kitchen :joy:

Young chow / yang chow / yang zhou fried rice has been on high end Cantonese menus in nyc for as long as I can recall.

Always more expensive because of the inclusion of shrimp, ham, and probably other ingredients (though I don’t recall dried scallops in every version), and the $36 version in the video probably includes more such ingredients to justify the price).

We had a really fluffy (thai-chinese) seafood fried rice yesterday that reminded me of the best young chow style rices I’ve eaten, and I bet the broth absorption method had something to do with it. (Broth is often in recipes, I can’t equate whether his amount is out of whack given he’s got a huge quantity of rice in that wok).

1 Like