Worst smelling foods

Of course you know that this is why you’re a happy satisfied vegetarian.:smile:

Do you hate the smell of fish cooking in something other than a microwave? If a coworker were to cook some other animal protein in the microwave would that affect you in the same way?

Me neither but somehow when I read jcostones original post I could instantly smell the corn nut smell in my mind and it made me laugh.

2 Likes

It’d probably be less of an issue these days, that was back in the mid-90s, when the Web was young and, er, “food enthusiasm” (to paraphrase that blog article posted over on CH) hadn’t quite hit the Big Time as a mainstream “hobby” yet… Knowing the tuna-salad-sucking co-workers (thanks to the shared workspace, knowing them a little better than I’d have preferred :rofl:), I suspect the worse of the two wouldn’t be caught dead eating anything as mundane as a tuna salad sandwich in public these days.:wink:

1 Like

I suppose durian is the easy answer. Can’t stand the stuff and my mom would think it was funny to eat this while I’m home every so often- friggin gross!

On a more day to day basis, I do love Chinese chives which have that distinct garlicky smell… Which some might describe as “garbage-y”. Even I admit that I catch a whiff of it when it’s in my fridge and it can be a bit overwhelming.

1 Like

Yes, and asafoetida (hing). But corn nuts are a funnier answer.

I have never smelled or eaten durian, but it looks similar to jackfruit. I love sweetened canned jackfruit though I admit it smells funky. I offered some to a friend, who found it completely repellant.

Asparagus smells fine, but I hesitate before buying it, when I think of what it does to the smell of urine. Wish I were someone who lacks the genes enabling perception of that odor.

1 Like

I’m fine with most any cooking fish smells, and although not my favorite i can deal with about any other cooking meats smells as well.
i think the extended time of the salmon in the microwave makes it especially, um, fragrant, nothing like the way that seared salmon smells (less bothersome)
Just something about those few absolutely take me down. Like I can’t go into bodegas in the morning cuz they all smell like cooking bacon.

1 Like

Actually, I can’t stand the smell of many things as they are microwaved. Those lean cuisines that many ate for lunch at work - the smell of the plastic was just awful!

2 Likes

Limburger cheese and raw red onions on toasted pumpernickel. My Daddy loved this combination and every Christmas “Santa” would leave a pound of Limberberger and homemade bread in his stocking. It was his breakfast for the next two weeks and I will never forget that smell.

1 Like

Durian for sure. The scent is awful, like a cross between something rotten and onions. Ugh!

Re: jackfruit, I once made jackfruit jam at home and my husband was horrified at the smell emanating from the kitchen. So that definitely qualifies for this list as well!

1 Like

If you have ever smelled dried Bombay Duck being deep fried, everything else forever after would smell like roses (ok, maybe not, but nothing after could ever again be the worst thing you ever smelled :roll_eyes:)

Glad I did a check on Google, I learned that the duck is in fact a fish.

I have heard this, yes, but I’d still like to try it. Why does it smell worse than other dried fish being fried (like bacalao)? And it was on the endangered list in recent years, yes? is it still?

Why it smells worse I can’t tell you… but it’s distinctive.

Not endangered as far as I know. Delicious fresh, and completely different. And pickled (indian pickle, not brine). And delicious deep fried too, btw… just that smell…

1 Like

I think Fritos smell worse than Corn Nuts …

Definitely agree with durian.

Raw onions, especially onions that have been sitting for a while, they get this old sweat funk to them.

And then there was the time the line cooks made black garlic in the dehydrator over several days, that got hard to handle. Like, couldn’t really breathe and felt nauseated.

Brussels sprouts or broccoli roasting or searing on high heat.

Some cheeses like Roquefort and Epoisses.

Kimchi.

Many of these things taste better than they smell - I love cheese and kimchi. Just can’t do durian though, I’ve tried a few times and that’s enough.

If you want to include (not intentionally) spoiled foods, I nominate burnt garlic and rotten potatoes.

And for anyone who’s worked in restaurants, grease trap.

1 Like

I used to live in an apartment building in Flushing, NY where most of the tenants were Korean. The kimchi odor started in the lobby. Ugh!

2 Likes

Blockquote
Durian for sure. The scent is awful, like a cross between something rotten and onions. Ugh!

Haha, that’s kind. I always described durian as rotting onions and the worst farts blended together.

1 Like

Back around 2003 - 04 I did a lot of renovations/upgrades in grocery stores. There were some appalling smells in the back ends of some of them. I especially remember one in Brooklyn…

1 Like

I would happily eat many things mentioned here and have eaten some revolting stuff you people would turn your noses up at.

What I can’t and won’t eat is Indian food, curries, and things containing coconut cream/milk. My system reacts negatively to this food. Even the smell triggers my gag reflex. When certain chemicals in these foods are released into my system I feel physically sick. It’s especially bad when my system rejects and wants to get rid of the “bad stuff” to protect me, so it thinks. Some people are hypersensitive to certain foods and textures.

This thread is more about (well, at least it started as :smile:) foods that smell bad, even some foods you like eating, not about foods you don’t like at all.

I understand a sensitivity/allergy to coconut, but ALL Indian food? India’s a big, big place with a huge variety of cuisines. It’s like saying you can’t deal with European food. It must be some specific ingredient or ingredients your body has a problem handling.

2 Likes