Worst Kitchen Purchase

I do not have any . The items I purchased. And decided . Ummm I don’t think so Will go into bottom cabinet drawer. Purgatory. It might be 10 years until used . I know they are there.

My worst kitchen purchase was this garlic rocker in steel from Joseph & Joseph.

Each time I used it, dozens of pieces of garlic would block the holes in the rocker and I had to dot everyone out with a fork afterwards.

I had to throw it out and instead bought the far better Oxo garlic press.

billede

7 Likes

Yes that is such a bad design.
My gf bought one so I had an opportunity to try it out at her place and really glad that I did really gimmicky.
A knife does such a better job.

1 Like

Ohhh I’m quite fond of mine.

1 Like

WoW - different strokes for different folks.

I hated mine from day one.

How do you avoid the garlic pieces to get stuck in the holes ?

3 Likes

I tap it on the cutting board and what doesn’t fall out just washes out under water. Kinda no differently than a traditional garlic press. If I only need 1 clove I used the meat cleaver method to squish it to oblivion and then a few chops.

1 Like

I guess I must use very hard fresh garlic then.
Even running the thing under the tap did not remove the garlic residue in the rocker.

But I’m glad it works for you.

2 Likes

Bought a Ninja blender from Costco on a friend’s recommendation. Now, the insert on this one is insane–it has blades running up the middle so you can really crush ice, I guess? Tried making a milkshake and it’s so powerful that it turned the ice cream to liquid almost immediately. I thought I would slice my arm to shreds on the blade when cleaning it. It also weighs almost as much as the KA stand mixer.
Anyway, this is way more powerful that what I need, so it just sits in the closet and I just use the immersion blender to puree.

Maybe we can introduce your Ninja to my toaster and with any luck they’ll elope.

7 Likes

My kitchenaid stand mixer died after quite a few years (ahem, decades…) and I bought a new one a fee years ago. Not the same at all and I still miss the workhorse I had. The changes in motor design and stability make it much less of a kitchen beast. I also dislike the dark oil that sometimes drops into my bread dough.

Also, every single sponge holder and dish drainer I’ve tried. (Probably more of a different strokes thing.)

2 Likes

Viking oven.

1 Like

That’s horrible - ruined bread dough! I’m assuming it’s leaking out of the motor housing?

I got my vitamix-cult SIL a Nutribullet last year (while I was staying with them) and she actually put away the vitamix that has been on her counter for decades… in case you want to dip your toe in at a much lower price point,

2 Likes

Thanks! I will look into it.

When the daughters are home the poor Bullet gets a workout every day - they love their yogurt/chia/frozen fruit smoothies.

I like it because it came with a larger blender-type pitcher. I only use it once a month or so to make epis, but it works at least as well as - and is so much easier to clean than - my regular old (very old) glass-pitcher blender.

1 Like

I got it primarily because most of their household has a morning smoothie, for which which the bullet is great.

But she also finds it much easier to clean, handy for smaller quantities of anything (esp with multiple jar sizes), and I got her extra jars and a blade so if the morning stuff is lying in the sink or dishwasher, the machine is still usable for other meal prep. Also: tiny footprint.

She said her mom had been trying to convince her to get one for years, so it was just perfect because now her mom could say both “I told you so” and “apparently I’m the only one who can’t buy you gadgets” :rofl:

ETA: she’s not throwing away the Vitamix… and I don’t think they’re directly comparable other than by a person’s intended use of them, but I also think Vitamix has an aura that isn’t completely factual (in that all the things it does amazingly may not be things one would actually use it for).

1 Like

Hi Amanda,

My gf bought a Nutribullet and was happy with it while it worked.
She bought her’s at Bed Bath and Beyond where she had it replaced several times because of their store guarantee.
She was gifted a Vitamix E310 and is much happier.

It all depends on if you have room to store the appliance on the counter and your budget.

I have been lusting after a Vitamix for sometime yet ended up buying a Ninja which was on sale.
It came with 2 smoothy cups, blender jug, smaller jug with a dough hook.
Even if it breaks down I can buy at least 2 more for the cost of 1 Vitamix (3 more if I find them on sale).

I’m positive that you will do your homework and compare the 3 models before you buy.

P.S.
Costco offers a Vitamix made especially for them and has it at a discounted price once or twice a year.
Also many of the home shopping channels available in the US might carry it.

2 Likes

I’ll play. I got sucked in with ATK’s garlic press love, and not only own two but gave a bunch as gifts. Well, their best use will be as sous vide weights, I think. They require too much force, are a pain to clean, and my mini FP (attachment to immersion blender) does a far better job with less waste.

Given this, I don’t know why I got suckered into also buying… a ginger grater :woman_facepalming:t2: Still sitting in the drawer. (And i grate ginger for tea twice daily, so it’s not lack of need.)

I narrowly escaped ATK’s recommendation of “best mandoline” which some upthread mentioned - it comes with changeable inserts. By narrowly escaped I mean I asked for it for Christmas and then returned it upon further deliberation. (I now have a fixed-blade Oxo that I adore.)

Other stuff I don’t think of as “worst purchase” but rather “unnecessary but now I own it.” Food processor - used once or twice a year if I make myself, laser thermometer - ditto, and so on.

I really want to know what gadgets people can’t bring themselves to throw away… maybe I’ll start a thread on that.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m pretty happy with Vitamix … when I use it which is rarely.
In my experience Vitamix, iPhones, and BGE all have the strongest hate factor. :joy:
The Prius and now Tesla have a strong hate cult too.
I am definitely in the SMEG hate cult :roll_eyes:.

⚡️ 

SMEG