Worst Kitchen Purchase

I’ve seen plenty of favorite item threads so thought we’d go in the other direction with your worst kitchen/food purchase fail.

4 Likes

Without any doubt mine is this Smeg toaster. It’s slow and toasts uneven. I bought two…one for my daughter for Christmas which was stolen off her deck and one for myself. I’m glad the thief got a lemon.

9 Likes

It’s good looking though. What happened, you still have it?

Yes I still have it but it just sits on the counter mocking me. It’s about to go to the Salvation Army. :triumph:

2 Likes

Nice decoration.

3 Likes

:astonished:

And you are mocking me? :tired_face:

I cast a pox upon you!

4 Likes

It was a coffee machine, brought home by H, probably a group discount bulk purchase from his company, pretty cheap and it was before the invention of Nespresso . It had to use a certain capsule. First the thing was huge and plastic. Second, H only bought like 30 doses, after that no idea where to renew the purchase of coffee. Third, coffee was bad. Fourth, that a friend came to visit and destroyed the machine and finished it for good.

7 Likes

@Respectfully_Declined

I’m glad that you started this thread! :rofl:

Zwilling office knife, after a few months, the handle was cracking on its own. I wrote to them to complain of course, never dropped the knife.

8 Likes

Garlic press bought from the shop Habitat. It was mid-price range, so I expected some quality. The silicone handle was peeling changed colour (it was dark gray) and became sticky, and the metal rusted. I wrote a really awful mail to complain.

8 Likes

On top of my heads, the two useless kitchen purchases I made are: stainless steel soup and a hand held garlic press, but I am sure there are more.

To throw a curve ball, there is a type of kitchen gadget useful to me, but break down easily. I tried at least three different brands - small electric coffee grinder (I used them for spices)

7 Likes

Does not work as advertised. Or at all.

4 Likes

Didn’t work for me, sold it in a garage sale.

4 Likes

I had a similiar coffee grinder, the top plastic cracked!

1 Like

A rolling pin didn’t work?

4 Likes

It worked, but I need to use a longer solid one (not 2 pieces). Maybe I have weak wrists. I felt I need more force using this style.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

6 Likes

I can’t remember making a kitchen purchase that I regretted.

However, my husband bought a strawberry huller and an avocado slicer. I pointed out that we have knives that do a far better job than either. After much complaining on my part about them taking up valuable drawer space, he gave them to his mother. She is delighted with them.

For your viewing pleasure, here is Alton Brown’s video about unitaskers.

6 Likes

See. I knew I have more poor kitchen purchase. I also purchase a rolling pin like yours. I forgot exactly why, but It did not work for me, and eventually I tossed it out. Later, I bought a straight rolling pin and it worked better.

2 Likes

Is this a straight rolling pin?

I had a wooden one but it went poof. I was making jaozi and had to resort to buying a metal one.

1 Like