Worst Kitchen Purchase

Mine is coated with silicone. Happy with its length 42cm. The promise that no dough sticks is false though.

The latest version that they want you to buy includes rings for the thickness of the dough.

1 Like

Yes, my more useful rolling pins are straight wooden rolling pin. What do you mean by poof? And how will the metal one prevents it from another poof?

1 Like

Sorry… by poof I meant it disappeared.

Well, when it comes to me nothing can prevent it. LOL
Actually I think the wooden one was borrowed and if I’m right no one in their right mind will borrow a metal one?

Nice!!!

1 Like

Pretty lucky so far, with exceptions here and there, most bad purchases not too expensive.

Some that come to mind: after KA blender died, was looking for a new one and wasn’t ready to bite the bullet for a VM. Sooo, shopping online, read some reviews and went with a Hamilton Beach that got decent reviews & inexpensive - maybe $49-59, and it looked pretty cool, lighting up with a blue light. Well it became clear almost immediately it wasn’t going to cut it, so I gifted it to DD2’s BF’S frat house where it became an immediate hit - the guys lined up after dinner to make milkshakes in it, and the novelty (in the frat house, anyway) didn’t wear off. So was happy it found a new home, and got a VM shortly.

The other thing was an ISI clear plastic canister for carbonating water or clear liquids; think it was about $59, and thought it would be useful. Used it a few times, and was never pleased with the carbonation levels, even using a couple cartridges. This was at the dawn of the Soda Stream, which weren’t being marketed widely at the time.

Other than that, a few gadgets here and there that have found their way to the donation pile.

As for rolling pins, I have both types, but my long, straight wooden one has tapered ends. I use them for different things.

2 Likes

Go to the Indian grocery store and buy a real spice grinder there. I have a nice stainless steel one that is very easy to clean (the bowl/blades detaches from the motor completely) and the motor is super strong.

3 Likes

Funnily enough, I bought a Vitamix and returned it. I don’t regret buying it because I received a full refund and I learned that its limitations make it the wrong blender for me.

I routinely use my 33 year old Waring bar blender to make small quantities of vinaigrette. The Vitamix doesn’t emulsify small quantities.

I was advised that for small quantities one must purchase a separate jar and tamper. For dry ingredients one must buy yet another jar and tamper. These purchases would more than double the price of the blender not to mention the necessary storage space.

I was also disappointed that Vitamix jars can’t be washed in the dishwasher.

5 Likes

Yes, me too on the dishwasher! PITA, but when you get used to it, v easy. Yep on the accessories being too spendy! Tend to use ours for larger purées, blending ice into smoothies, or drinks etc. I’ve got a mini FP for little jobs, and a stick blender. So, whatever works is good. Sounds like your blender is a good one.

1 Like

Yep, when I posted on Chowhound about my disappointment in the Vitamix, I was told that it’s great for velvety smooth soup, smoothies and blended drinks.

I like chunky soup, don’t consume smoothies and only drink blended drinks in bars.

6 Likes

I was looking at this one, but it was out of stock. The Cuisinart one isn’t much better… it throws spices out of the grinder, and grounds end up under the grinding bowl. I think it’s just a bad design, but there isn’t much competition.

I’d use my mortar and pestle, but not every kind of spice can be powderized with one.

I love my Vitamix to bits but only because its strengths match exactly what I want… I use it for velvety smooth soup and curries.

1 Like

A friend invited us for a dinner in his small studio apartment, he’s much younger than us, and made velvety smooth gazpacho, so surprise and impressive that I sneaked in the kitchen to check out which mixer he had. Just a hand held mixer, not a particularly kitchen geek brand (forgot which one), I believed he mixed in small batch and several times. Also sieve can help.

1 Like

I have a Braun hand blender/immersion blender. I find that it gets stuff ridiculously smooth. And, if I am feeling particularly exacting, yes, that’s why I have a sieve (and a food mill!).

Some day, I’d like to get a Vitamix, but I need to wait until BF’s prized Oster from his grandfather dies.

4 Likes

I suppose, way back before I knew better, a garlic press was a purchase to regret. It’s long gone and my various microplanes serve in its stead.

5 Likes

A set of Cuisinart stainless cookware- everything sticks to it, hate it. Been sitting under the kitchen sink for years.
Corn silk brush- a stiff nail brush works better for me or just picking it off the old fashioned way

2 Likes

I am sorry but that pink one is just too much LOL

2 Likes

I love our Cuisinart Pro SS cookware. As long as it is preheated properly and then lightly coated with olive oil or butter I don’t have problems with anything stick. Well, I don’t cook eggs in it…but anything sauteed or seared is a dream.

1 Like

Whereas my Mr. Coffee coffee grinder is probably 15+ years old and still going strong! Granted, it’s only me grinding/drinking the coffee, so its use in my house is probably less in others.

I also have another one (in white) for spices or nuts as well, but that gets much less use.

2 Likes

I have 2 regretful purchases.
One would be a crank apple corer/peeler as the apples had to be perfectly round to use it.
Needless to say it found it’s way to a thrift store.
Having said that, there are good apple corer machines out there mine just wasn’t one of them.
Second one was an Oster blender.
Originally, I was thrilled that they had done away with the number system.
Loved that the buttons were clearly labeled to crush ice, make baby food, smoothies etc.
That is until it began to leak.
Honestly, who makes a round sealing ring as opposed to a flat one ?
Did the designers consume too many “Everything Bagels” ?
Eta:
Interestingly enough, Oster no longer manufactures that particular model.

1 Like

I used all manner of oil and butter except for 10W-40 Rotella. :smiley:I didn’t try that. I don’t think mine was the Pro line. I need to put mine into the neighbor’s next yard sale.

I should say that I am partially responsible for breaking them at least two of them, so I am not laying all the blames on the product designs.

2 Likes