Woo-Hoo!! I just delivered my first two knives! :-)

Thanks gutreactions! I have my domain name, but haven’t created the website yet. (I do have a Facebook “Provision Knives” business page.) I wanted to get a few knives completed and available before I spent the time figuring out how to build a website. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Jimmy, I appreciate the encouragement! :slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely NOT !! :smiley: I’m focusing on this as an improvement over the available engineering jobs in my area, and hoping I might eventually provide employment to someone else in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Nice

You’re not going to need anything more than a Facebook page to sell your stuff Eiron.

1 Like

Spectacular knives. One small picky point- From the photos I’d call the wood tiger maple. Perhaps. Curly and tiger maple are interchangeable terms. The handles are beautiful either way.

My mistake. I was thinking of birds eye maple. Curly and tiger maples are the same thing.
Those knives must be an absolute joy to use.
Can’t wait to see the website when it’s up and running.

1 Like

Thanks carolina1! I hadn’t heard the name tiger maple before, so I appreciate learning about it. :slight_smile:
Yes, the feedback from the prototypes, and now the production models, has been overwhelmingly positive!

What is the red spacer material? How are people liking D2? Nice looking work, BTW

Hi Biscy! Thanks for the compliment! I really love integrating design and functionality into everyday tools that perform better, feel better, and look better!

The red is actually the epoxy bond line. As a mechanical/manufacturing engineer, I’ve learned to favor less complicated designs from a durability and maintenance standpoint. So, if I don’t have to introduce an additional component into a design, I won’t.

Blade feedback has been nothing but positive! One of my first knives (a 210mm gyuto from several years ago) got dropped onto the floor, on its nose. The owner said he was afraid to look at the damage he had done, but when he picked it up there was only a tiny bit of flat spot at the very tip. :slight_smile: Can you imagine the results if you dropped an RC60-62 VG10 knife onto its tip?? (No tip!!) The toughness of D2 in a daily-use kitchen knife is one of my favorite things about it! The other thing I love is its ability to take an extremely keen edge. A new knife I was recently putting the edge on was approaching its final polishing stage. As I turned the knife over, my index finger nicked the corner of the heel. I felt nothing, but immediately knew I’d cut myself. (You know it’s sharp when you don’t feel the cut.) I’m offering 1 yr free sharpening on all of the knives I’m making this year. I’ve checked with the owners of both of the knives in this thread, and neither of them want them sharpened yet. How can you not like a material that’s tough and stays sharp?

3 Likes

Where I’m from, “tiger” usually goes with “eye” when it comes to woods–the larger, wild, random curl that looks 6 inches deep. Tiger Eye lends itself to through-tang handles, although it makes rifle and pistol stocks really stand out, too.

Maybe you all are thinking of fiddleback maple?

Aloha,
Kaleo

Eiron. Do you have a website you can share?

I’m still running with only the Provision Knives facebook page. I’ve been working on a few “secret projects” that I can’t share just yet, but I’ll be updating the page soon with new items, info, and tips.

And I might tackle building a web page this weekend. :slight_smile: