Will be in the Los Angeles area Wednesday to Sunday.

Hitching a ride !

Will be in the Los Angeles area Wednesday to Sunday.

Not in Glendale; staying at JW Marriott at 900 West Olympic; pretty busy and no car but same food interests. I don’t think I will get to do much.

I used to live in Westwood and West LA, and plan to dine out with brother who lives in Santa Monica.

Sorry @ibuyufo , and welcome!

I should probably start a new thread.

2 Likes

Hi @shrinkrap ,

Oh nice! Hope you enjoy your visit to L.A.! :slight_smile: Is it your first time?

Ah so you’ll be in Downtown L.A. Check out those places I listed above for that section. If you want some of the best Pastrami in the U.S. (and the world), have you tried Langer’s Deli yet? Get the simple Pastrami Sandwich with Mustard, that’s all you need. :wink: (Their Corned Beef & Beef Tongue Combo Sandwich is amazing as well; the Patty Melt, Tuna Melt.)

If you’re dining in Santa Monica, you have access to some of the best Sushi in L.A.:

• Mori Sushi - I posted thoughts and pics here.

• Gjusta - Just south of Santa Monica, but close enough. It defies your expectations for a place that offers so many items (you would think it’s a “generalist” that can’t do anything right, but it’s the complete opposite). Thoughts and pics in this thread. :slight_smile:

There’s a bunch of different things you could try on the Westside, so let us know if you have specific cuisines you wanted to try.

2 Likes

No; I used to live there ( very long time ago) and visited my son regularly when he attended LMU ( not as long ago, but pre-covid).

I also used to live in New York ( a lifetime ago) and love good pastrami! Have not tried Langer’s but have almost ordered it mail order during theis pandemic! Thanks for the reminder. I’ll be sure to check out Langer’s, and some of your other suggestions as well. I’ve read a lot here about Angry Egret, and husband loves meatballs and breakfast so Gjusta might be up his alley!

1 Like

Within walking distance of the JW Marriott in DTLA …

Cabra
Dune
Cara Cara
Woodspoon
Wake and Late

1 Like

Yaay! Thanks.

Is Wake and Late still serving?

Delivery and pickup only.

That will come in handy!

https://wakeandlate.com/home

I couldn’t get that page to work, and their last Facebook post was in November! Glad I have HO!

Don’t overlook their fresh squeezed orange juice.

Pricey, but worth it if you like your Vitamin C in liquid form.

1 Like

Husband does!

Maybe walk up to Grand Central Market.

5 Likes

Thanks @Chowseeker1999 , @ipsedixit , @chienrouge !

Apparently I will be going to Fixins on Wednesday evening with a group. Anyone been?

Fixins

There’s also one in nearby (to me) Sacramento. Slightly different menu, slightly different prices.

I’m also curious about Island To Table Patty Hut at 724 S Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90014 for Jamaican patties.

1 Like

Sorry no

Have fun!

My condolences.

Perhaps a good time to start on a diet?

1 Like

Thank you! I’m thinking you’ve been and are not a fan. If so, I’m curious about what you tried, and didn’t like.

Oh well. Many know I’ve been “sort of” low carb for years, but I’m still going. Sometimes it’s not about the food.

Couldn’t find Langer’s corned beef and tongue combo among the numbered sandwiches online, though we spotted the famous #19, but that’s a new one to us anyway. Of course, no doubt that combo can be ordered and happily served.

Speaking of not on the menu, one time on the road in New York and orders were being taken for lunch to brought in, we asked for a tongue reuben and were greeted with: “that’s a new one, what a good idea.” The deli obviously didn’t blink an eye; we liked it a lot and couldn’t finish, so we had the rest after most everyone left, rummaging through the office kitchen for a few chips or whatever was handy.

2 Likes

Chicken and waffles, fried catfish, okra, collard greens, gumbo.

Everything tasted premade and reheated, like a Swansons dinner party. Let’s face it, no one goes to Fixins for the food. They go for the scene, and to hopefully catch a glimpse of retired NBA players, or local and national radio hosts. Plus, if you enjoy talking to your companions during dinner, learn sign language.

We went to Smashburgers afterwards. For dinner.

2 Likes

Ahhh! Good to know. Thank you.

Holbox - smoked kanpachi tacos, torta de camaron, scallop and spot prawn aquachile (with fried shrimp heads), scallop taco, sopa de mariscos, smoked kanpachi tostada.

They have an assortment of salsas, my favorites are the kut and morita used together. The kut is pretty damn spicy.

A quick uber ride away or a good 20 minute walk (although the walk might be a bit sketch). Definitely check it out, truly a gem for Los Angeles. Located inside the Mercado de Paloma market.

Holbox
3655 S Grand Ave #C9, Los Angeles, CA 90007

5 Likes