Wild Scallion, Middletown

Hi there. Does anyone know when and why Wild Scallion in Middletown closed? A colleague at The Asbury Park Press is looking into abandoned buildings in Monmouth and Ocean counties, including this one.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Start with Wild Scallions and move immediately to what was supposed to be The Mad Hatter in Sea Bright.

1 Like

Having worked in Atlantic Highlands for years and passing by on an almost daily basis, I’ve always wanted the sign!

They’ve been closed for at least 15 years. It was The Lobsterman (and probably at least one other place) before the Wild Scallion.

People forget that when the Wild Scallion was in operation, most of its parking was where Wawa is now. As it stands, the current lot has room for maybe 4-5 cars (and zero street parking) forever preventing another restaurant from moving in.

3 Likes

Two woman owned it , they were a couple and one got cancer and passed away the other woman couldn’t bring herself to sell it she’s died now and someone has brought it

I would just go and take it if you really want it. There are two of them and will probably be trash soon.
One or two quick reconnaissance runs and then bam, it’s yours. Volunteering my services.

2 Likes

Since I pass it every day, I’ve noticed something: the Wild Scallion sign is starting to slip down and there is a green sign behind it which I believe is the sign for The Lobsterman. The historical society I volunteer with is the next town over but I’ve been pushing them to get the sign since Middletown Historical has no storage. I’d love to be a renegade and just take it, but then I could never write about it and there’s no fun in that! :rofl:

2 Likes

You would then be a part of history that others will write about. The great Wild Scallion Sign Heist of 2023.

3 Likes

I gave it a hard look yesterday. It’s a three person and a pick up truck kind of heist. But I think you’re right about The Lobsterman sign.

4 Likes

I would never say this publicly, but I fully support this effort.

3 Likes

I stopped by today.
3 bolts on the West side, think 3 on the East side but that side the long bolts are loose. Very wobbly.
There was one guy working inside the shell of what is left of the building. Didn’t seem interested in anything happening outside the building.
Can be done in a few minutes, preferably in daylight so we may get caught. Probably 1 person best to carry out the cutting job with grinder and extra batteries just in case, and some spotters on 36.
Profit.

3 Likes

Have you considered dynamite, just to increase the cost/benefit ratio?

1 Like

Maybe if you go in the middle of the day, with tools and a “crew” if anyone even pays attention will think you’re supposed to be taking down the sign(s).

9 Likes

That sounds like a great plan

3 Likes

GENIUS!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

No worse than the kids who stole a huge tray of crumb buns from the back of the Colonial Bakery in Lavallette.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve been known to have devious side

1 Like

It’s kind of funny but I had a business lunch on Wednesday at the Proving Ground, so I passed right by this. I too gave it a preliminary inspection, I noticed the side visible while traveling North on 36 is hanging “lower” on one side, indicating some of the screws or brackets came lose already.

If you seriously want it, I’ll grab it with you. Not sure if it would fit in the back of my Navigator but my son in law has a pickup I can use. (FYI I’ve stolen a lot worse, for a lot dumber reasons so let me know, plus I wanted to pick your brain about offering internships at Brookdale too. Multi-purpose theft is always the most desirable. FYI #2 You kind of know me, so you know I’m not kidding.)

5 Likes

Well, it would not be for my personal collection. I was going to give it to the museum in Atlantic Highlands. Let me ask if they want stolen property. :joy:

1 Like