Why People Eat at Chain Restaurants

To all the other, often negative reasons (e.g., they want something predictable), add two more:
–Chains tend to open for dine-in sooner, and if you want to eat in the middle of other stops, you need that.
–Chains are usually open seven days a week, or at least Monday thru Friday.

I’m trying to find someplace to eat while we’re doing some errands, and most of the “independent” restaurants are either closed Mondays or take-out only.

Why is predicable a negative readon?

4 Likes

People generally want predictability and consistency. Even food snobs. :thinking:

1 Like

Probably because it can be read as “unadventurous.”

1 Like

Personally, I consider it an adventure whenever I go to a chain restaurant…

8 Likes

My recent breakfast at Waffle House was a thrill a minute!

8 Likes

No doubt :joy: :joy: :joy:

We used to regularly attend events on the East Coast. While I would plan for and reserve at destination tables on our homeward leg, usually shortly after landing and while off the beaten track, an Applebee’s type chain would fill the bill. My usual order was either a chicken or steak Caesar, and they were always recognizable, properly cooked as ordered. Nothing grand but no regrets either.

7 Likes

Why?

Because their food tastes good?

I, mean, shit, I love me some “10:30 a.m. Filet-O-Fish” as well as a Spicy Chicken sandwich from Chik-Fil-A and an order of animal style fries with a Double-Double with double onions (grilled and raw) is like wearing an old pair of sneakers – comfortable and reassuring.

5 Likes

Heck yeah. Chicken Fried Steak, biscuits w/gravy at Denny’s = ROAD TRIP!!

2 Likes

FIFY

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Chicken fried steak at Bob Evans.
Chicken & Dumplings at Cracker Barrel.

1 Like

I never understood the appeal of chain restaurants until last year’s endless Thanksgiving week drive from Ashland OR to Port Townsend WA. It took way longer than we realized and we were both tired and crabby to start with. We were also tired of making more decisions about where to stop to eat so we stopped at chains. Normally we try to ferret out the best small local places, but not this time. I can’t even remember where we stopped but the places were predictable, reliable, clean, and fast. Who cared?! Once we got to Port Townsend, we had some excellent meals at our usual small local places, but when you’re pushing it, chains feed you, don’t surprise you, and get the job done. Plus, since we hardly ever eat at chains, they were a real novelty!

10 Likes

I tend to avoid national and multinational chain when there’s an alternative available, and focus on that chains that aren’t at home, on road trips.

I also like trying the limited time only items.

2 Likes

You’re defining “chain” as the same trademark, we presume.

That said, here’s a formidable food business that operates a large number of “chains”, a handful of which we’ve sat down in, a couple more than once, without knowing that our handful had been rolled up into:

3 Likes

I travel for work. There are parts of my territory where chains are literally the only choices near my hotel.

There are so nights when Im just tired and all I really need are some calories that dont completely suck.

If I get to my hotel and have some time I do try to find nonchain places and have found some solid options.

Lunch almost always is a chain because i just dont have time to reaearch and drive out of my way.

I at least try not to eat what has come through a window. Culvers is thr only exception because their food is actually cooked to order.

4 Likes

Before 2020, I often visited family in parts of Canada and the US where chains were the only or the better options. Or a treat for my relatives.
I don’t mind chains.

I also don’t mind drive thru windows. I go through the Wendy’s or McDs drive thru every couple months, and Tim Hortons/ Starbucks more times than I can count.

I have an immune condition so I will choose a drive thru over a busy place where I would have to wait inside in a line. That said, I drive to my indie coffee shop which is not too busy to run inside and buy a coffee partly because it is quicker than the Starbucks drive thru which always has a wait.

Culver’s does have good food. Happy I tried it in 2019, on my way back to Canada from an Ohio wedding.

1 Like

I think it’s also a cultural thing. The whole drive-thru meal is something I can’t wrap my head around, but I didn’t grow up in N America.

2 Likes

For a boy raised down south, Waffle House is a well loved spot. I love the many ways I can get hash browns there. I would so love to have one in NYC.

I don’t mind chains. All depends on what the alternatives are. For breakfast I think Waffle House beats 99% of the fancy independent brunch places.

2 Likes

Ditto for a girl raised on the Jersey Shore. I discovered Waffle House on a road trip and now make it a point to eat at one whenever I can.

2 Likes