Why is it so hard to find Manhattan Special soda in CNJ

I am not someone who drinks soda. However my one true vice is Manhattan Special soda . Not the diet version, the full blown espresso based mildly carbonated drink.
I have scoured every where in Monmouth County & occasionally find 12 oz bottles tucked away in some obscure spot in Tuscany or Livotti’s. Haven’t seen the larger bottles in years.
Does anyone maybe in Ocean or Middlesex County know if anyone stocks this.
If you haven’t heard of this specialty drink it’s truly an acquired taste but it’s truly better than anything other so called energy drinks on the market.

2 Likes

I’ll certainly start to keep my eye out, but I’m in Monmouth County. That said, I wonder if ShopRite or even one of the big liquor stores might be able to order it for you…? And/or have you tried the company’s website? If nothing else, you should be able to find out who the distributor is.

2 Likes

Shoprite & all the usual suspects don’t carry it.
Too much of a niche brand for the mass market.
Locating the distributor is an idea.
Thanks

So I went to company website I can order the 12 oz bottles directly but not the preferred 32oz bottles . I sent them a note regarding local retailers.
Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Shop Rite in Middletown and Hazlet both carry it, as does Livoti’s in Middletown. Not sure about large bottles, though.

Not a soda drinker either but remember being introduced to Manhattan Special by my dad as a child and it’s always been accessible (though I haven’t had it in years).

2 Likes

Livotti’s & Tuscany don’t have a regular supply always hit or miss . Smaller bottles only.
Never saw it in ShopRite in Freehold or Marlboro. Time for a ride I guess. Really hope to find the 32 oz bottles. Now that I can order the 12oz online I am ok hopefully can find a source for the 32 oz bottles.
It’s been around since 1895 & since I can remember I have always had a supply on hand but lately it’s been hard to find.
Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Also Shoprite in Aberdeen, though again, only the 12-ounce bottles.

Yea that’s what I have been finding in my travels

I haven’t been there in a while, but they used to have both the large and small bottles at A&S Salumeria on RT33 in Millstone.

2 Likes

Thanks that’s my go to for bread they never have large bottles & when I ask about the 32 oz size I get a very polite shoulder shrug.

We used to get it at Shore Restaurant Supply (now closed). Maybe another restaurant supply?

1 Like

That’s a thought . I was at Corbo awhile ago didn’t see it.

Corbo in Asbury Park? Do they sell food? I primarily thought of Shore Restaurant Supply for food and paper goods, with a smattering of other things and Corbo for equipment. But riffing off of them, maybe Restaurant Depot in Neptune?

@Patadux - I drove by Shore the other day and the building is gone. I’m assuming it will become just another strip mall.

Yes my bad when @patadux said restaurants supply places my knee jerk reaction was Corbo.
I will ask my 2 pals who own local places about their supply resources.
Neither place offers Manhattan Special though.

1 Like

I have an RD card - If you find out they carry it, I’d be happy to meet you there

2 Likes

Thanks that’s great

No worries - I was just hoping Corbo expanded their wares as it is the closest place to me.

2 Likes

Same in Shrewsbury Shoprite: only 12-ounce bottles.

1 Like

I’ve never seen big bottles, but my local bagel shop carries the small bottles. I’m in Barnegat. Have you checked Taste of Italy in Tinton Falls or Joe Leone’s?

Yes , they exist in reality.
Very dedicated consumers from the old country Brooklyn & Bronx) snap them up.