Why is it always NYC?

I have one but I live in Canada.

1 Like

Of course it is!

Sorry, late to the party (not fashionable, for sure), but who can answer why there are letters on the rotary phone (hint: letters are still there, but reason is long gone)?

1 Like

Pennsylvania 65000? BUtterfield 8?

4 Likes

Yeah. I believe one of the reasons is to remember the numbers easier. For example, a classic case is the phone number 1-800-356-9377. For the customer to remember, it is also 1-800-Flowers. F = 3, L = 5, O = 6, W = 9, E = 3, R = 7, S = 7…3569377

1 Like

Nope. 1-800-FLOWERS is a relatively new reason for the letters.

For example, the beginning of my phone number (incorrectly punctuated) when I was a kid in Manhattan was Schuyler4 76…

1 Like

My childhood phone number started with LA for Laurelton in Queens. Back when Queens was still 212.

3 Likes

It’s an expensive way of exposing the fries to an acidic environment that impedes the breakdown of pectin, so they should end up fluffier and crisper. They would get similar results soaking in beer or vinegar spiked water.

5 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Bingo! The exchanges were the outgrowths of so-called “party lines,” thankfully before my cognizant time anyway. Still, when I was a kid, there were still places I went to that used (in-house only) remnants of the city’s pneumatic tube system to move paper around: https://untappedcities.com/2021/01/21/pneumatic-tube-mail-nyc/

2 Likes

@shrinkrap In 1956, we moved from Manhattan to Laurelton and, like you, had a LAurelton phone number. I don’t remember the digits. But what’s really amazing is that I do remember the entire phone number we had on the Lower East Side where I was born and grew up before the move: GRamercy 3-1390.

4 Likes

I used pneumatic tubes( but in in hospitals) and party lines. Well my sister and cousin used them and I listened in.

2 Likes

Those letters and numbers can be turned into part of some pretty handy passwords!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve never heard of that.

2 Likes

I do get the appeal of both confit and white truffles, but I feel like both at the same time are not needed. The picture also looks like the truffles are being used to great excess. One day, a friend and I were at Crispo, and they had a pasta special with white truffles. It was great, and it was expensive, but not like this! Granted, it was several years ago. I think it was $80 a plate, and I had asked for a “primo portion,” but the waitress didn’t understand and brought us full portions, so our meals were expensive, but they were worth it for one time. The truffles were not overused in our pastas.