Why is it always NYC?

I know, I know, lots of rich people who like to eat live in Manhattan, but even if I had a billion dollars …

2 Likes

Because there’s a lot going on here, the competition for attention is very fierce. So you have to do something really ridiculous to get noticed.

3 Likes

worked for me when I first met my wife. :smirk:

4 Likes

You should’ve seen the stupid hat H was wearing on the day we met.

1 Like

Well, all 5 burroughs make up NYC, and I don’t think that would fly in some of them.

2 Likes

More importantly, why do I not have national french fry day in my calendar.

6 Likes

Very true. I also don’t think restaurants that pull these stunts sell many of these “specials”, and probably don’t expect to.

1 Like

In my house, everyday is national french fry day!
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Agree. It’s about getting media coverage and the resulting interest of customers who will come in to order something else. See also:

Norma’s is closed, now, so you’ll have to get your crazy expensive omelet fix somewhere else.

4 Likes

I’d argue that Serendipity is kept alive by tourists, not folks who live in Manhattan.

7 Likes

Wait…

3 Likes

Upper East Side lol

Just don’t try to charge $1.25 for extra ketsup downtown!

Fries Attack NYC: Lower East Side Restaurant Fight Caught on Video – NBC New York

2 Likes

So you’re saying that the frozen hot chocolate I get once a decade is not keeping them afloat?

3 Likes

Actually, it is not a bad way to make a contrasting point. Fries are one of the cheapest food. We (the restaurant) will make a very expensive snack.

• Upstate Chipperbeck potatoes
  • Vintage 2006 Dom Perignon Champagne
  • J. LeBlanc French Champagne Ardenne Vinegar
  • Pure cage-free goose fat from France
  • Guerande Truffle Salt
  • Truffle oil
  • Crete Senesi Pecorino Tartufello cheese
  • Shaved black summer truffles from Italy
  • Truffle butter
  • Organic A2 100% grass fed cream from Jersey cows
  • Aged Gruyere Truffled Swiss
  • A 23k edible gold dust topping
3 Likes

I feel so little after knowing about the $2000 omelet.

I meant I feel small

4 Likes

Like you feel as if you’re a diminished size, or you don’t feel much of anything?

2 Likes

Nor will that one frozen hot chocolate I got when I took visiting friends there twenty years ago.

Remember the movie? They probably got a nice bump after that.

2 Likes

This one. I should have said “small”. Let me edit it.

1 Like

How much? ETA - right, $200

Yeah, throwing every truffle product on something is a good way to boost price (and kill flavor - half the “truffle” things these days taste just awful).

3 Likes

There was a movie?

1 Like