Why are there so few English or British restaurants in the US?

We’ve never encountered a ham & egg sandwich in France. Can you describe?
On the subject of French sandwiches, another fabulous surprise was a “sandwich Lard” at a street fair. → Grilled to order slices of pork belly, tucked into a baguette. Oh, yes!!!

Pork belly sandwich has to be a winner in any language.

My Bapaume sandwich was very simple. Baguette, sliced lengthways and buttered. A single layer of ham topped with a few slices of hard boiled egg. C’est finis.

3 Likes

I was a self-professed Anglophile in my teens/20’s (and even now). I developed my love of all things British as a high schooler/college-aged kid through my love of the Clash and Sex Pistols and all things-punk rock. A Salt and Battery and Myers of Keswick were on tops of the itinerary when I visited my brother in NYC. And my first trip to London was a head-spinner, as I visited the fancy tea shop in Covent Garden, ate at the original Wagamama and Yo!Sushi when they were still novel, had burek at a well-known place that I can’t remember, laughed at my brother who loved a full-on English breakfast (the Brits make the best toast), fell in love with Little Scarlet jam and clotted cream, devoured fish and chips at Rock and Plaice (was that the name?), the best vegetarian food I’d ever had at several places, beautiful Indian food. To me, British food was a mishmash of cultures that I couldn’t get enough of.

5 Likes

That gets my vote for one of the funniest statements I’ve ever read.

4 Likes

That will have been the Rock & Sole Plaice. Geddit?

Unfortunately my only experience of it was mega disappointing.

(for those not immediately getting the pun, Rock is rock salmon or huss).

3 Likes

Believe it or not, the first time I ever saw Subway was on a visit to Dublin. I thought it was a local chain trying to be American.

1 Like

Stay off the interstate highways if you have time. In may cases there are old highways running next to the interstate and will take you into the small towns.

3 Likes

Apologies for my conflating of English/British all over my post. I blame it on jet lag (still waking up at 3.30-4am EST).

I believe there is still a little bit of a grudge going on since 1783 .

3 Likes

We’ve never encountered a ham & egg sandwich in France.

Really? The first time I had jambon oeuf was in France. I dont remember where, but I bought them regularly for my lunch when I was in the 77.

2 Likes

Except maybe Yiddish…

1 Like

And Arabic.

1 Like

Fair point, eleeper and small_h. And also many other languages spoken by Muslims. And no doubt other faiths but I’m not going to try and guess what they might be.

A thoughtless choice of phrase on my part. No intention to be discriminatory but clearly was.

I would happily delete it but it would still remain in eleeeper’s post

Not an issue here. It’s something I’m very used to reading in posts by Americans on various forums. From time to time, I might well comment on it but, on this particular thread, I’d regard the England as one of the three nations of this island and it would be just as valid to discuss whether the distinctive dishes of Scotland and Wales might play well in a British restaurant in North America. I’m assuming the food of Northern Ireland might be subsumed into a wider consideration of the food of the island of Ireland.

1 Like

Not an issue here

Speak for yourself, pal. :slight_smile:
That said, I assumed all of the participants were interested in English cuisine only (save for when you asked me about High Tea up here north of the wall).

3 Likes

OK, here we go with a three course menu of well known (here) and generally available dishes from northwest England. I wonder how easily they’d be identified as English if they were on the menu of my English/British restaurant in the States, let alone folk knowing what they were getting if they ordered. .

Potted shrimps
Scouse
Chorley cake with Cheshire cheese

3 Likes

St Stephen’s Green pub in Mountain View does pretty well. I’m vegetarian, so most of their menu isn’t for me, but they’ve got various meat and fish things, chicken curry, chips with curry sauce, black pudding, white pudding, that sort of thing. Pre-pandemic there was a weekly Irish music session, though I don’t know if/when that’ll restart.
And the previous owners of the place started one in Redwood City; haven’t been to it.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen the words scouse or Chorley before (as far as I know), but I know what potted shrimps are (is?), and I would probably figure out that anything that mentions Cheshire is English.

I think I’ve actually made potted shrimps, come to think of it.

2 Likes

When were you last here? This place is overrun with fried chicken, including all the chippies. Within a few blocks of where I am sitting right now (east London) I could count half a dozen - go a little further and another half a dozen and so on. When my brother visits from SoCal, he loves collecting all the crazy times on the chicken shops. Am I misunderstanding what you said, @pilgrim?

2 Likes

Every time my sister in law visits she sits in a restaurant, modern British, and says ‘I have no idea what this is’ and she doesn’t mean scouse (which i love, having a longterm connection with Merseyside). But the way foods are combined and the very British fusion styles are just bewildering to her. And delicious, as she soon finds out. It hurts me to hear so many countries running down British food. I think they’re eating in the wrong places, to be honest. Or it’s based on long-ago stories or experiences. I’ve had the worst meals of my life in Italy and France yet the whole world crows about them! :wink: So there!

4 Likes