Why are there so few English or British restaurants in the US?

No need to read everything, of course, but I think it’s a bad idea to make a comment without knowing exactly what you’re commenting about.

1 Like

With all due respect, your comment

was directed at me, whether you realized it at the time or not. So I was not the first to snark.

Nope.
The bread in a sandwich, or a tortilla wrapped taco, is sometimes the equivalent of the utensil. I often toss out the bread or tortilla after using it in a very similar way as one would use injera.

The crust on a Cornish pasty or a Jamaican patty serves the same purpose. A way to eat lunch when one has no utensils or can’t wash one’s hands. Leaving the starch touched by dirty fingers behind.

You can nitpick 'til the cows come home, but I still stand by the point I made upthread - the one you probably haven’t read.

1 Like

Okey dokey.

2 Likes

FWIW, I doubt whether a British (or, more generally, European) sandwich would have too much appeal in America. A considerably smaller filling to bread ratio. If I buy, say, a ham sandwich, it’s likely to have a single slice of ham on it (unless it’s that sliced wafer thin ham which is becoming popular here in recent times) . At home, if I make one, I might add add a second slice. And, unlike my general experience with American sandwiches, not every British one comes with cheese.

So what were you responding to?

Yes. When I refer to something I myself have posted, I know exactly what I wrote.

1 Like

I quit reading reviews and paying attention to TA reviews when they marked the Sunshine Skyway bridge over Tampa Bay as the #1 tourist destination. Not beaches, or amusement parks, or museums…a hecking bridge. One you cant walk over…and no visitors center. Just a bridge on a federal highway.

I love our bridge…and the views as I drive over it. . But it’s not a tourist destination in any sense of the word

TA also got busted pretty hard for paid reviews. I visit on occasion, but haven’t been a regular in years.

2 Likes

This reminds me of one of the first takeaway lunches I got when I first got to London. I left my desk, walked down the street to this shop that had prepared sandwiches. I picked up a ham sandwich and went back to my desk. Opened up the package and took a bite. I went WTF is this. I opened it up and saw a single slice of ham and butter on the bread. Not my idea of a ham sandwich for sure.

4 Likes

The prepackaged British sandwiches, and the sandwich chains, are quite neat. The prepackaged sandwiches at American gas stations and convenience stores aren’t at the same level as the prepackaged sandwiches at EAT, Boots, M&S, Sainsbury’s.

Can’t find crawfish sandwiches, prawn cocktail sandwiches, coronation chicken sandwiches, etc. I suspect the turnover is better in the UK. The main choices for a packaged sandwich here would be ham & cheese, tuna, egg salad, turkey or roast beef, or assorted cold cuts.

3 Likes

The French jambon beurre and the ham & Brie sandwiches I’ve had, both here and in France, are similar. I think we’re just used to big portions here in the US, but sometimes I appreciate a small, not overstuffed sandwich.

1 Like

No sandwich chains over there ala Subway or Jimmy John’s?

Me, too. El Quinto Pino, a tapas place in Manhattan, serves an uni panini (sic) which is my favorite sandwich - a modestly-sized ficelle with a thin layer of sea urchin and mustard oil.

But I also like a great big tuna salad sub.

1 Like

This is funny. One of our best sandwiches was from the lunch stand in the basement of Grey’s Antiques Centre in Mayfair. Soft but sturdy bread, juicy pieces of chicken breast, salt and pepper, lettuce, onions, mayonnaise. It was the salt and pepper that woke it up. Became my new “how to”.

2 Likes

Maybe not, but I could spend a couple of weeks working my way through these options.

2 Likes

One of husband’s and my most memorable sandwiches was in the village of Bievres, an hour southwest of Paris. Lunch time approaching, I went into the town bakery and asked for a ham and cheese sandwich. The counter lady called out something like, “Maaarie, un jambon y fromage, sil vous plait.” And several minutes later, “Maaarie” toddled out with a warm, floury 12" baguette stuffed with excellent “ham” and cheese. As was our style, we shared the one sandwich, almost duking it out for the final bits.

1 Like

I specially ordered sandwich bread and ate sandwiches for lunch today after this thread made me crave them.

But your link made me crack up:
#1. Shree Krishna Vada Pav

2 Likes

Subway exists. Just as dismal there as it is here…but there are so many better sarnie options that I cant imagine why anyone would go there.

My favorite was a trailer in the back of the industrial park where my business partners office was located near Manchester. They served up a bacon buttie stuffed to bursting with bacon (and HP, natch) that was craveworthy, and it was always my first meal when I flew into Manchester. That buttie and a big mug of builders tea revived me a few times.

3 Likes

Until fairly recently, we travelled to northern France quite often, in connection with my interest in the Great War. This is a very rural area, dotted with a handful of small towns and villages. I also remember going into a bakery in Bapaume to buy a ham & egg sandwich, on baguette. We ate this one an hour later, parked outside a Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery where I’d wanted to photograph a couple of graves of local men who had died near there. It was so peaceful, with no noise other than the occasional bird.

2 Likes

Some years back, I was doing some extensive research at our local history library. Our town centre is desolate with regards to food options and, even more so, near the library. Lunch was either Subway or McD. Dismal is a good word.

In other areas you might find chains such as Pret a Manger or Leon and you’ll always find independents. You’ll also find convenience store branches of national supermarket chains will have ready made sandwiches to take away,

Before retiring, my workplace was directly opposite one such independent. Now, their lunch sandwiches were not that great but their bacon butty was my downfall. Lots of bacon stuffed into a buttered barmcake (our local name for a bread roll) and you could also pay for “extra bacon”. And their sausage barms were not too bad at all. Ketchup on both please. Or “red sauce” as it’s often called in suhc palces to distinguish it from brown sauce, like HP or Daddies.

5 Likes