Who makes the best pancakes in LA?

I’ve taken to using the Morinaga Hotcakes mixes with slight modifications. First, I double it (so 2 of the 150g packets). I also use 2 Mary’s Duck Eggs (from Whole Foods) instead of chicken eggs. Then I use Meyenberg goat milk. I finally add a healthy amount of Mexican Vanilla Extract to taste before putting everything in my Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker and cooking it on the White/Sushi Rice setting.

When done, it comes right out of the nonstick inner pan and I top with a bit of ghee:

…and maple syrup:

Before slicing like cake to serve:

Look at that crumb! Delicious!

2 Likes

Whoa.

I’m speechless

1 Like

I think the next thing I am going to try is to make a breakfast burrito using a large pancake as the “tortilla”

And I’m going to stuff that thing with all the bacon, eggs and avocado I can find in my fridge. And my secret ingredient? Chinese pork floss. :yum:

1 Like

Sounds good. Where do u get pork floss and what does it look like.

I get it at my local Chinese grocery store (i.e. Ranch 99), but Amazon has it as well.

1 Like

Ok cool it seems like the beef jerky “dip” tins you used to be able to get.

Thanks

Pancake? How about a crêpe instead?

Fu or Sung? I’ve always bought Sung because that’s what my Singaporean friend always got, but I don’t think I’ve even tried Fu. What are the differences? Is it just a matter of preference, or is one better for certain applications than the other?

Okay, real talk…this is kind of trashy, but it’s super quick when you’re tight on time: 2 eggs mixed with pork floss and microwaved (I know, I know) for 45-60 seconds.

I believe that pancakes are a complete meal. It is a dish suitable for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Yes, many places in Los Angeles make them. I’ve been to many such cafes. It’s hard to say which one is the best. But you can find reviews on Google, which might help you choose. You can also try making them yourself. Pancakes are quite a simple dish. Therefore, anyone can cope with their preparation. A good recipe you can find here is palačinky. I like to pour syrup over them and enjoy the taste.

They’re the same thing (fu and sung), just different transliterations. Basically dried shredded pork.

You want trashy?

How about a pork floss sandwich. Two slices of white bread, pork floss and some Hoisin sauce. Less than 30 seconds, tops, to assemble.

They look different, though, and the same brands sell both…guess I’ll just have to buy one of each next time I’m at 99 Ranch.

I prefer mine made with a thin layer of Kewpie on two slices of King’s Hawaiian bread.

I’m a Miracle Whip kind of guy.

Duck For Cover GIFs | Tenor

Clutch and Coffee in Torrance has excellent pancakes. To be fair, I’m not a fan of the typical thick and fluffy pancakes you get at the neighborhood diner. C&C’s blueberry pancakes are about 1/2 - 2/3 the typical thickness, have a nice crisp on the edges and just enough texture inside to keep it interesting, without getting too “doughy”. Chock full of blueberries and the service is always friendly and prompt.

If you’ve ever been to Locanda Verde in Tribeca, it’s the closest thing I’ve ever found to their lemon ricotta blueberry pancakes which I love and miss dearly.

1 Like