White vs: Yellow Americans…

Further to the fish/dairy thing, since I guess it was I who started it, who here eats lox and bagels without cream cheese? Show of hands! (Yes i know it’s not “real” cheese, but still…)

And as an aside, somebody upthread mentioned the recent predilection for cheese in poke, which brings up thoughts of certain sushi rolls where cream cheese is showing up regularly, and salmon or tuna has been known to show up in those.

Is this a great country or what.

4 Likes

Of course, always eat lox/smoked salmon with cream cheese on bagels. And let’s not forget seafood lasagna and Coquilles St Jacques, along with Drago’s iconic oysters!

2 Likes

Fish and Dairy together is common for those who keep kosher:
From the Russ and Daughters website

Appetizing also originated from Jewish dietary laws, which dictate that meat and dairy products cannot be eaten or sold together. As a result, two different types of stores sprang up in order to cater to the Jewish population. Stores selling cured and pickled meats became known as delicatessens, while shops that sold fish and dairy products became appetizing stores.

2 Likes

Yellow American does have a bit more of a salty taste to me, and I prefer it over white, given the choice.

The color is a regional thing, and I grew up with yellow cheese.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but I remember mentioning the cheesy dishes given as an example of British pub foods on the last Top Chef episode. I think one was a fish pie, and while Gail thought that combination was worth noting, I seem to recall one of the contestants suggesting the more cheese the better.

I have never had fish pie, but I do like cream cheese on my bagel and lox. Well, if I’m being honest ( why do I like that better than "I’m not going to lie?) Nova.

1 Like

Some TV cooking show awhile ago featured a mac & cheese recipe with white American cheese which I was unaware of. I found some at Walmart (of all places). It was terribly lacking in flavor, but made a very creamy cheese sauce. I usually use sharp yellow cheddar in my mac & cheese. I’ve seen “Chedeese”, powdered yellow cheese for sale in a bulk sale package. I think some cheddars use annato for coloring.

Okay, I’m not sure if you are kidding or baiting me. This topic came up often on the old CH about what chili is. My friends from Texas would tell you tomato isn’t used to make chili.

I have collected the entire old Time Life Food of the World series. Its fascinating reading and I recommend hunting them down. There are several volumes for regional American food. In the Great West edition there is a recipe for Chili con Carne. The recipe calls for various dried chilis and carne (options are beef or venison) and spices. No tomatoes or cheese or onions. Its a meat stew. Brick red in color from the chilis. Thickened with a bit of corn which could come from a tortilla. You can serve it with beans or rice on the side.

What we often see as chili these days is essentially a somewhat spicy tomato meat sauce that would not be out of place on spaghetti. Nothing wrong with it. Just not at all what chili was originally if you believe the roots of the dish come from cowboys eating food prepared from a chuck wagon. Another example of food drift.

4 Likes

Clam chowder, lobster bisque, some French fish dishes such as quenelles and fish with various sauces have cream. And then there’s Coquilles St. Jacques with both cheese and cream.

I love the T-L Food of the World series and have all of them. Wonderful gems in each volume, even though they were published when “exotic” ingredients were difficult if not impossible to find in some/many areas of the US.

2 Likes

I used to sell that Time Life series by phone. One of my first jobs. Too bad I didn’t keep any.

4 Likes

I’ve had some lobster melts in the Boston area that were fantastic.

1 Like

Oh jeez, I thought I was on the authentic thread. :wink:
:cowboy_hat_face:
My father’s recipe has beans and tomatoes and he was a native west Texan from San Angelo and environs.
Maybe he wasn’t southwest enough to hit the no tomato and beans region.

3 Likes

Funny I was going to suggest this thread Another nail in the coffin of food authenticity (which I’m not actually reading\following) but then saw it was begun by @BKeats :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

(authentic) chili causes many endless arguments, none ever solved.
You should check out that thread. ,:slight_smile:

No thanks–I’m good. I’m only aware of it because . . . well, whatever.

On the topic of chili, I have a book Marlboro sent me with 50 chili recipes–all different types of meats, beans, veggies, seasonings, etc. Some were quite good. Some had tomatoes. I used to share the recipes with mamachef from CH :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Since we’re drifting, I too love the old Time-Life Series and have them all. As well as the complete TL How to Cook series. Excellent.

FWIW, I also feel there are almost more differences within the US culture than there are between some parts of the US and some other countries. The US is as far from heterogeneous, in almost every aspect, as a single country could be.

Oh yes, sounds just wonderful! Now I want one for dinner, but not going to happen. Waaa…

1 Like

Thank you. This might be a sensitive subject. FWIW, I never lump European countries together. I never lump “America” together. I don’t lump the United States together. I probably never lump things together. I probably avoid lumping at all costs. I might be “counter -phobic” that way, not referring to counter depth refrigerators .

3 Likes

I agree with this 1000%. (I grew up in Pittsburgh.)