White vs: Yellow Americans…

I have been known, when I know I’m headed to McDonald’s because it’s the most convenient option to grab dinner on my way to a 7pm weeknight show, to grab an extra cheese slice from the fridge to ADD to my fish sandwich. Beats paying another 50 cents for a measly half slice. And the kraft processed cheese food product is better than McD’s cheese.

Sometimes, we choose violence.

3 Likes

Unless it’s a Philly cheesesteak. Or a French dip sandwich. Or Nick’s roast beef with a good sharp provolone. Or chili with lots of beef and shredded cheese. Or steak fajitas. Or . . .

But agreed, not on a sirloin, filet, strip, etc.

2 Likes

That’s often because the “ground beef” is of not-so-great quality beef, which is generally the case with fast-food burgers. It masks the taste (or makes up for the lack of taste) of the beef, as well as providing for some textural integrity and mouthfeel to the beef.

Agreed, roast beef sandwiches are greatly enhanced by cheese.
Hot and cold, home or cafe, I’m always in on beef and cheese :cheese:

2 Likes

And when it comes to fish and cheese . . . two of mom’s local pub faves are mahi tacos and poke tacos–both have cheese with the fish.

1 Like

Don’t forget the ubiquitous tuna melt at diners all across 'Merica.

1 Like

I sincerely try to forget such a dish exists :wink:

2 Likes

Umm. That’s a new one. Cheese on poke. Does your mom like cheese on her nigiri?

2 Likes

Not sure she’s ever had nigiri, but she likes raw fish and she tends to like whatever cheese is presented. so she’d probably roll with that.

2 Likes

Maybe the difference is Philadelphia versus NY? Obviously cheesesteak. But I don’t recall ever seeing cheese on a french dip. Roast beef in a crusty roll with the dip. No need for cheese. Fajitas are normally not usually served with cheese where I go. No cheese on chili please for me, or tomatoes in it either. Just like the name says chili con carne - essentially the name is the recipe. No queso. Heck where I go to get tacos, there is no cheese in the place.

The default burger at Mcdonalds used to be without cheese. You paid more to add cheese.

Then they changed their default to cheese, but you could ask for no cheese and they would charge you less.

Now when you ask for no cheese (I do not get cheese on my burger, anywhere), you still pay full price.

Cheeseburger as default is pretty standard at many restaurants now, not just fast food.

2 Likes

Odd. I have probably ordered a French dip outside my home territory, but can never recall receiving one without cheese (usually Swiss, sometimes provolone). And Tex-Mex without cheese just seems odd–it’s usually a topping, not melted into the fish, but it 's always there.

1 Like

For me… chili is not chili without chopped onions and grated cheddar.

You cook chili without tomatoes? How is that even possible?

3 Likes

For good french dips, yes. I agree. But not everyone is using rare thinly sliced ribeye. So… cheese doesn’t go amiss.

The Chicago Italian beef sandwich (a sort of bastard cousin of the french dip) is frequently offered with the option of provelone. Some like it, some not so much.

And one of my favorite sandwiches is really rare roast beef on toasted challa w/ garlic mayo and havarti. Maybe some lettuce if I’m feeling guilty.

1 Like

It didn’t used to be that way. The American taste for cheese on top of all kinds of things is now a firm preference, and you can see that on menus even at more expensive places.

This is pretty much typical at upscale places that offer a burger at lunch:

Maison Wagyu Burger* 25
Brûlée Brie, Caramelized Onion Aioli, Dijon, Arugula, Buttered Brioche

1 Like

I don’t think regional differences within the US = national differences in Europe. Again, a large continent with vastly different cultures & languages. And cuisines.

But I believe this thread is about American cheese.

1 Like

Well would it really be a thread if there was no drift?

6 Likes

I do like parm/alfredo sauce on shrimp, and can really dig into some creamy clam linguine. Not to mention I put enough heavy cream in my clam chowder to give a moose atherosclerosis.

3 Likes

Combining seafood and dairy products is what makes America great! :cowboy_hat_face:
We don’t need no stinking badges!

3 Likes

With regards to seafood and cheese, don’t forget the popularity of crab melts in many places. Also crab wontons with (cream) cheese, and ubiquitous crab or other seafood dips with cream cheese. There was a restaurant in my past that served a halibut au gratin that was fantastic. How could I forget seafood quiches or crepes with Mornay sauce? So, there are many delicious exceptions to that rule, but to each their own. The world would be boring if everyone liked the same things!

5 Likes