Which Red Wine Vinegar do you Enjoy?

I’m trying out different Red Wine vinegars.
What do you recommend and
which brand is your favourite?

I really like this one . Seems for my taste . Smooth and balanced.
20220324_161315

2 Likes

I confess to only ever buying whatever is cheapest at the supermarket - almost invariably their own label product.

2 Likes

Pompeiian, inexpensive and at one time won America’s Test Kitchen’s taste test or Sclafani because they are from my hometown Stamford, CT

1 Like

Welcome Zackly !

So nice to see you here and looking forward to reading your topics and contributions to other’s posts.

I don’t have a fav. Wine vinegars in my cabinet are currently Star and Colavita… both are fine. In addition to those, I keep rice and white distilled vinegars on hand.

For me, vinegars are acid, and can break down/meld with a lot of different ingredients/flavors, so I don’t keep alot of them around. Exceptions to this may be balsamic, if you’re into it (I am not), and sherry (but I can replicate with real sherry and almost any vinegar), plus I like a good sherry on hand for cocktails.

1 Like

Pompeian red wine vinegar is best, I recommend you to try it.

1 Like

@Anthony323
I’ve only ever tried Maille and Bertolli.
Thanks for the recommendation and
Welcome to Hungry Onion.

Home made is easy and worthwhile.

2 Likes

@Vecchiouomo,

Do you happen to have a recipe that you might like to share?

I would like to know how do it as well. First problem is having leftover wine, but after that, I have tried several times. I ferment sauerkraut, pepper sauce, and do sourdough bread, but I have never felt that I was successful with red wine vinegar, which I chose to blame on the sulfites

Sure. Add some vinegar mother to red or white wine. You can use a cloudy organic brand like Bragg. The cloudy stuff is mother. It only takes a little. Put it in a loosely covered jar and leave it alone for a few months. The things in the mother will turn the wine to vinegar. You can, from time to time, feed your jar with a little more wine. Sometimes a disc that looks like some sort of organic matter will form and cover the top. I understand that to be a cellulose byproduct of the process. I just scoop it out. There are also places, like beer brewing suppliers, that sell mother.

2 Likes

Thank you all I had to pick up red wine vinegar, at the store, to pickle some red onions.
It was slim pickings, should have headed to the Italian shop.
So, settled on Bertolli this time round just because it is familiar to me.
I plan to try Tim’s homemade method next.
Thank you for taking the time to post your recipe Tim.
It is very much appreciated to get a recipe from a trusted source.

There may be better explanations if you Google how to make wine vinegar.

1 Like