Which recent food trends make you roll your eyes?

Bowl, as in something that I guess that in restaurant terminology is called a bowl meal. Burrito bowl, poke bowl, power bowl, breakfast bowl, and the like. It appears to have become a marketing hook.

4 Likes

The one time I really enjoyed kale was in a ribollita prepared by an older Italian couple. Most of the ingredients were from their garden and it was absolutely delicious. None of my attempts to mimic it have come close, though they were fairly good by my cooking standards.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
And kale can be in excellent dishes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I even saw a Salt Caramel Panettone yesterday.

I like Caldo Verde a lot. I haven’t met the right Ribolitta yet.

1 Like

I had to look it up and it looks delicious! I am probably going to be in Lisbon in March/April so I will give it a try. My attempts to find a specific type of bacalao was a failure this spring so maybe this will bring me luck! LOL!
I had no idea there are hundreds of types of bacalao until I got to Portugal.
My winter peregrination has started so I am going to at loose ends until April or so. Boarding a ship to Tortolla, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Puerto Princesa and St. Kitts in an hour or so. Then it will be Japan and SE Asia. So no Portuguese until March.

2 Likes

I seek it out in Toronto. Not sure where your closest Portuguese restaurant might be. I haven’t stepped foot outside Ontario and Quebec in 3 years and 10 months, so I find what I need closer to home or make it myself.

Check out the Salt Cod thread.

I didn’t make anything with Salt Cod until last year. That’s also something found at a lot of restaurants in North America if you seek it out. (Greek, Caribbean, Portuguese, French ,Italian, Spanish, New England , Maritime and more)

I made it several ways last year. French brandade was my favourite.

2 Likes

Is that with sausage, kale, and potatoes? I think collards work out as a sub. Interesting “family”, those cruciferous buggers.

1 Like

You’re thinking of Grünkohl mit Pinkel, a dish I mentioned further upthread. I could see collards working in it for sure.

2 Likes

There should be “salt fish” in the Caribbean, but not the kind of choices there are in Portugal!

3 Likes

I had not considered it until now, but i will be on the lookout for it!

That is a caribbean sauteed saltfish dish, looks good!

3 Likes

Ironically, I am making my own right now. To put on everything!

5 Likes

How many Scovilles in that pot and do you need goggles to make that up?

3 Likes

They are tien tsin chiles, so ~50,000 (sometimes more). I didn’t wear goggles, but it did cause some coughing and sneezing!

9 Likes

It was a menu attached as a list of seasonal specials (which might be offered for weeks or the winter months), at least a dozen different preparations. Probably a soup, probably creamed or gratinéed, probably prepared simply. Some dishes with bacon or ham, some vegetarian.

Grünkohlzeit means Kale time, as in, Kale Season.

I will see if I can find a menu online that shows what I’m talking about.

download (1)
download

This is one regional kale dish, that @linguafood mentioned https://baketotheroots.de/grunkohl-mit-pinkel-kale-with-smoked-knockwurst/

1 Like

Yah, that’s just the same kale with different sides/meats. Great winter food. Stick to yo ribs kinda stuff.

2 Likes

I can’t find the kind of menu I saw in Munich

Ahhh! Kale season! That’s pretty awesome. What months is that usually?

My collards are hopefully gearing up for something similar (maybe November through March or April with short, maybe 10 hours sunlight days and 50’s f soil temps)

And Chard . It’s in there somewhere, as is arugula and other “greens”. Chard is certainly different, but same season.

Okay; back OT; eye rolling things. :roll_eyes: :thinking:

5 Likes

that’s very very common, esp. in Asian cultures

4 Likes

Salt on raw rhubarb in Anglo Ontario

2 Likes