Where to buy antique copper cookware in Paris?

We are going to Paris for a week (June 17-24) and I hope to attend one of the famous large flea markets to look for antique copper cookware. Which flea market might be the best for this purpose?

Are there any stores that specialize in antique cookware or used copper cookware?

Since time is limited (and if given the choice) I’d rather spend a day going to a vendor that knows what they have and asks high prices than sort through boxes of junk and find nothing. I realize it’s hard to predict what will appear at a flea market.

I do plan to stop by Dehillerin to peak at the inventory, but my interest is mainly in antique copper rather than new.

2 Likes

The giant marché de puces at Vanves is the first choice.

Havent been there in years, but Im sure there’s a kitchenware dealer there…

2 Likes

Totally this. Mostly Forrest Gump chocolate zonkers at the Parisian marches and brocantes in my experience. There’s one shop/stall in the Puces that has a fair number of pieces, but I don’t think the quality would be up to your standards. But you might get lucky.

You already know two skilled copper scroungers who prowl the countryside: Judy and Carey.

Have you been to Ateler du Cuivre? On the Grand Quai. Maybe a piece with no rivets?

David Lebovitz is a wonderful source of information for all things food in Paris.

This post he did about flea markets is old, but some of the information may still be valid.

3 Likes

This article is VERY helpful. Thank you.

I’m still not sure where to go on my 1-2 days I can devote to hunting for thick French copper.

Tip : For those interested in culinary items, Bachelier Antiquités specializes in copper cookware, pottery, and culinary tools. You won’t find bargains but they stock some rather amazing items”

I couldn’t tell from the link if this is a store or something else. Any insights?
I would imagine there would be 1-2 stores in Paris that specialize in high end kitchen antiques.

Maybe eBay has truly globalized the used marketplace and high end items are brought to the forefront on that medium rather than in flea markets and antique stores.

1 Like

David Lebovitz is on Substack.

You can ask him questions there, although you might need to pay for an annual subscription to be able to chat and comment.

I pay for it. I am glad to support Lebovitz as I’ve gotten so many fantastic recipes from his blog. Also, from time to time he posts recipes exclusively for paying subscribers.

1 Like

In the time I’ve known him, David has shown zero interest in copper cookware. So beyond a general orientation to Parisian shops and markets, I wouldn’t get my hopes up on finding much extra fort vintage copper.

2 Likes

Here is a site showing the calendar of “vide greniers” in the city you wish to go. Vide greniers are people emptying their home, selling what they don’t need, so you might be able to find jewels at good price. You will need to go very very early, as the flea markets shop owners compete with you to get the best stuff and bargain.

1 Like

The cover of Lebovitz’s book, My Paris Kitchen, shows a copper pot.

Here are blog posts where he discusses copper cookware.

2 Likes

Yeah, copper pans get photographed for cookbooks all the time. And David loves to go on factory tours, so hitting Mauviel fits. But he’s just not into copper, that’s my point.

1 Like

Vides-greniers are basically community garage sales (oh how I love them)

1 Like

Doubtless finding copper treasures in France is an ultimate high for a copper junkie (although I have only brought back thick, hammered aluminum, new from Printemps), but for those stuck elsewhere, I have found a few excellent sources on Etsy. Big Copper Kitchen, Normandy Copper, French Maison, and others seem able to find plenty of antiques, including dovetailed pieces, and offer them at decent prices.

1 Like

Not all copper roads lead to Paris, either. Normandy, Alsace, and other regions are rich in copper cookware, as are Belgium, Italy, Portugal and even Switzerland. Germany would be, too, if it were not for the “patriotic” war efforts.

1 Like

It’s been since August 2019, but I remember a couple of shops in Paul Bert Serpette. Bachelier is in Paul Bert (note they are listed as temporarily closed in Google – hopefully that is just a vacation, like I encountered with a number of shops in August). Another, in one of the main buildings, was tiny but packed with well-restored pieces, of varying thickness. There were other pieces scattered about. I did not go to Jules Valles on that trip, as my sole focus was not copper.

I went home empty handed. I do go frequently to other brocantes and vide greniers in the South, but never find anything truly thick.