Where do you like to vacation?

Where in NC shore? Looking to head down there next year and torn between obx and someplace like Emerald Isle or topsail.

3 Likes

I once had three visitors that wanted to help fill silo. One ate everything. One did not eat pork. One did not eat beef. Husband is not a chicken fan. Talk about trying to please everyone.

3 Likes

Here in DC, the place to take visitors you don’t know well is Clyde’s – actually, there are several Clyde’s locations and they also have the Old Ebbitt Grill. The food is good, and the menu has something for everyone at a reasonable price – by DC standards.

3 Likes

We are regulars at Pine Knoll Shores on the other end of Emerald Isle, near Atlantic Beach and Morehead City. The beach is never crowded, we’ve found great places to eat and to buy fresh local (Morehead is a big fishing destination) seafood and local produce. There are nice places to stay both on the beach and bayside. Some top places to eat are the Island Grill and my favorite food truck anywhere, the Captain’s Kitchen: amazing shrimp burgers, grouper sandwiches, and more for laughably low prices.
Morehead City is developing into a big weekend destination for people in Raleigh and ENC, and the restaurant scene there is burgeoning. Also, it’s near Beaufort, which is a charming and very well maintained historic town with lots of places to eat and shop.

3 Likes

We’re a couple of hours from the ocean but just far enough away we don’t have any cheap/drive-in type seafood places.
Sit down restaurants no problem.

2 Likes

I think my sister is building a place around there! Actually I don’t know what city, but she drives to a beach from Durham. Are there other things to do besides the beach?

1 Like

LOL I went to Clyde’s IN Gtown on my first night in DC.

1 Like

That’s the original - and the smallest by orders of magnitude.

Duke’s BBQ in Beaufort- always a stop on my was to Fl.

Besides the beach, there’s a nice marine museum, especially for kids, and state park with an old fort and trails for walking. There’s a lot of golf (I don’t play) and a whole lot of boating, charter boats, and tours to islands with while horses. The usual shopping, sitting by the pool reading … I spend most of my time walking, reading, and planning my next meal.

3 Likes

We probably should move the Outer Banks stuff to the “rest of the US and islands” board. Doe anyone know how to do that.

You can try flagging it. I think it gives you some choices about why, and if nothing applies I think you can choose “other”.

Back in the day, B and I traveled to Southeast Asia once a year (sometimes twice). We’ve been to every country in SEA and the food is nearly uniformly phenomenal. I remember planning our one and only trip to Singapore and Penang, I picked the destinations primarily to eat - and did we eat well. We’ve always tried to locate delicious food near a sightseeing spot, which was the beauty of Chowhound in its heyday. There were usually several hounds who could offer good advice on-the-fly. Bhutan was a big surprise, food-wise. We were privileged enough to have some extraordinary meals there. Our standout experience was a boat trip we took in the Philippines with a high-end yet laid-back/surfer-ish outfitter. The food was cooked by a 19-year old in a tiny galley who had been plucked from his village for his promising kitchen skills. My gawd, that was probably the best stretch of eating we’d ever experienced.

Nowadays, we do mostly islands (we’re ocean people more than mountain people). We’re doing our best to instill our love of other cultures in Spring Onion. In his little life thus far (7 years old), he’s been to Turks and Caicos twice (where we had good conch), Iceland (6 times, going for our 7th time in June; as I’ve reported extensively here, the food can be hit or miss but it’s almost always expensive…we don’t go for the food but we have found our spots, including Tjöruhúsið, an unbelievable rustic and convivial seafood restaurant which has a well-deserved global reputation), Vancouver Island (great food, sparklingly fresh seafood and beautiful produce), the Azores (again awesome seafood, delicious and inexpensive wine, lovely teas), Canary Islands (on Gran Canaria we had an incredible meal of impeccably fried fish at a humble local place; everywhere we had the most delicious potatoes we’d ever had), Toronto, numerous trips to Maine (some of the best food and beer to be had comparable with anyplace we’ve ever been), Grand Canyon and Zion (an incredible breakfast of pulled pork that we still talk about - even me, who never eats pork).

I have to stop myself now. I’m getting a little misty, thinking about the days of yore on Chowhound but at the same time, I think we’re reaching critical mass here on HO, and that makes me happy beyond words. @johntannerbbq, I love this thread. Thank you!

4 Likes

Tofu! But video their reactions. :eyes:

I must ask…why? :astonished:

I don’t look forward to spending time sitting on a beach. I can sit for a little while, and walk one to get somewhere, but everything my sister invites me, I can’t work up any enthusiasm.

I usually have to choose between that and maybe San Sebastián. I have more time to travel now, but less disposable income.

3 Likes

Only sit for little while on beach? Haiyaa! Uncle Respectful not happy with Auntie Shrinkrap. Not happy at tall.

2 Likes

Same with me, @shrinkrap
I like exploring little towns, markets, go hiking.

In Hawaii, Greece, Jamaica, Italy, OBX, the Lake Huron shore, I don’t spend any time sitting on a beach. I will walk along the beach for an hour or 2.

I will leave my friends or relatives at the beach while I go for a long walk or check out some sights. I might spend half an hour in the water, but I spend no time on the beach unless I’m walking…

I’ll sit at a restaurant or on a patio next to the beach.

I also don’t spend time lying on beach chairs next to swimming pools or hot tubs.

2 Likes

Literally, just back from 17 days in Tenerife. It’ll take me a few dyas to type up restaurant reviews but they will be on the Europe board if you’re interested.

5 Likes

My favourite downtime is at a Spa with Saunas, cold water and salt pools with resting areas. I feel completely rejuvenated and enjoy doing that alone.

Orlando because there is so many different things do there.
Montréal because of it’s charm.
Vienna for the food and attractions.

Would like to visit France, Portugal, Spain and Italy in no particular order.