Where do you like to vacation?

Orlando Florida? My son lived there and we visited a few times. Heading there in July and sort of dreading it. I won’t have much free time, but what do you recommend?

Someone from Florida would be better able to answer that as we were there pre Pandemic and I’m not sure what is open and closed because of that.

We went as a family so we did a lot of touristy stuff.
Wonder Works,
Supper and magic show,
All the Disney theme parks including the place that I call Lego Land.
Glow in the dark mini put,
We saw a movie in the theatres.

There is also Gatorland, Universal Studios and Kennedy Space Center (which we did not do yet would like to).

There are Outlet stores that we shopped at.
Those you have to be careful and really look the merchandise over because most are seconds.
We stayed at a timeshare so lounged around the pool
We came home rested.

I’m a planner so things went smoothly.
When we go away, my husband sits back and lets me do my thing so I work and he gets the holiday. :joy:

2 Likes

Winter Park is a lovely area. There’s a vibrant Vietnamese area. It’s a city approaching 3 million in the metro area with all the things cities have

4 Likes

Have you been to the Botanical Gardens?

Food plays an important role, to be sure. Even if it’s just to stop at the airport for some food shopping (that’s where many European hubs are good, since they have supermarkets), I deliberately try to fly through places such as SAW and VIE to grab a bite, and things for family and friends.

More and more, I’m drawn to naturally beautiful views; Ohrid in North Macedonia not only has good Balkan/Ottoman eats, but take a constitutional by the Church of St. John at Kaneo on Lake Ohrid to seal the deal.

2 Likes

You’re married to a farmer. I totally get that. We have a local farmer who, every 2 years sells all his cows but the heifers, and takes his family to Jamaica, Ireland, wherever he wants to go. Then, he gats back and, essentially, starts over.

My latest quest is Utah. My mom lives in Phoenix, so I fly there, and my mom, wife, kids and I have been to Zion, Capitol Reef, Bryce and Grand Staircase. Next time, Canyonlands and/or Arches, depending on time. Utah is just our latest, we’ve hit tons in AZ, NM and CA, too. Sequoya may have been my favorite national park. But, the more we go to Utah, the more endless it seems. So much to see there. Just driving Hwy 12, Just gorgeous.

I also have taken groups of kids all round Latin America. Costa Rica as a hit, as were the many Mayan ruins in the Yucatan. Merida is a fascinating city, but not a great food destination. I’ve debating taking a group to Ecuador and hit Cuyabeno (Amazon headwaters), but I’m a wuss thinking about if something goes wrong. I live the rainforest; but I don’t fear many animals. Tarantulas all over the ceiling of the elevated hut you sleep in. My guide and I tried to catch an anaconda, but he slipped into the water before we could get hold. I was in the water, though, and felt him pass my leg as he swum by. There’s nothing like bathing among piranhas.

Nothing nicer than a housing keeping cottage in N WI on a beautiful lake in summer.

I lived 4 years in Scottsdale.
A lifetime.
We craved green landscapes and rain after a while, being Midwesterners at heart.
The shades of brown drove us crazy eventually.
So we ended up in another tourist location, Oregon :relieved:

1 Like

Anywhere with a beach. Lisbon was pretty swell this summer.

4 Likes

Yes, but don’t forget, Oregon is a separate country. :grin:

2 Likes

Rome
Thessaloniki
Cape Breton

I haven’t been more than 200 miles from home in 2 1/2 years.

1 Like

It’s so interesting when you get used to a thing. Then you fly somewhere else and realize what you thought was green isn’t, at least by most standards.

2 Likes

Have you done Lake Powell yet? Best hurry while there is still water. We did it many years ago before it was full.

1 Like

I’ve driven past it every year for the last 10 years. Been a sad decade for that puddle. Drive over the Glen Canyon dam and just weep.

I’ve never gone to the lake, but have stayed in Page to visit the Antelope canyons. Those are amazing places. I’ve seen a lot of slot canyons; but the Antelopes are miraculous.

1 Like

Not my vacation, but an interesting one…