Where do you like to vacation?

I hear you! I’m quite content being alone! (Plus everyone hates me and it’s mutual. Lol)

4 Likes

Not me. A couple of times, my companion in life has gone away with other family members (primarily as a carer), and I’ve gone away for a few days on my own. I wouldnt say I prefer that to the both of us going away together but I’m happy to do it and have enjoyed myself both times.

3 Likes

I was a people person until people ruined it. Several years I came home from beach and told people I learned three things. One I didn’t like goat cheese. Two I didn’t like capers and three there are bigger a holes out there than the one I am married to. Lol

5 Likes

I don’t have enough self-control to stay home and not do all the stuff around the house that I see that needs doing. Maybe for a day, but not for a vacation-length period.

5 Likes

I am fortunate to live on the coast of South Carolina in a vacation destination. So when we travel we go on road trips or to the mountains to visit our families. Occasionally city trips.

7 Likes

I also live in somewhat of a vacation destination - in NJ believe it or not. I remember having a conversation with a work colleague who asked what I doing for my week off in August. I told him I was staying home. He laughed. I asked him what he was doing and it turned out he was renting a beach house 3 blocks from where i lived all year long. I laughed.

7 Likes

Great. It reminds me – someone asked Paul Newman if he ever cheated on his wife and he said, “why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?”

2 Likes

The last vacation the husband took where he didn’t stay on the farm and work was in 2009. Before that it was in 1994. He is perfectly content to take his vacations to plant corn, make hay, cut silage or just build fence. This is a man that only goes to work, to Southern States to get mineral and feed, and to get fuel. He does not deal with “the public”. So several years ago he had to have new glasses and the lady at the glasses place apologized to him about the lenses going to take so long to come in. He said “Ma’am that’s OK. I am going to have some time to get my nerve up to come back in here.” :rofl: Oh and last year when we got our COVID shots, we went to grocery store pharmacy. He was shocked at the people walking around in pajamas and talking to themselves. I laughed at him. I said “Hell this a GOOD DAY. You ought to see it at the first of the month.”

9 Likes

My favorite place to vacation is Cozumel, Mexico. Got married there on the beach at sunset in 2008 and have now been there 11 times.

We go to various restaurants when we are there–authentic Mexican, authentic Italian (chef is from Rome), an upscale classic restaurant (think lobster mac and cheese, octopus, lobster tacos, high end steak and fish, etc), a kind of American-ized place on the water (perfect for sunset!), etc. The only thing I don’t like is my family always wants to go to a chain Italian/pizza place called Rolandi’s. I’m from Jersey. We have amazing pizza here. I don’t go to Mexico for pizza.

10 Likes

This is how I feel when I visit friends and cousins in California. I live in Toronto. We have at least half a million Italians living in the Greater Toronto Area. I have half a dozen friends who are Italian, and several cousins who are half Italian. When I go to California, I want to eat Mexican food, Crab and Artichokes, visit Japantown, go for things I can’t find in Canada like the Chinese Chicken Salad in Sunnyvale.

I don’t want to go out for Italian.

I want to go out for Huevos, Tamales, Chile Rellenos, Fish Tacos, Mission Burritos and Chilaquiles.

On one trip, we had Italian with a friend in Stockton, the next day, my elderly aunt insisted on Olive Garden, then that night my cousin tried to push a fancy Cal Ital dinner, and I put my foot down. We went for Thai. Her teenage kids were brats and wouldn’t eat anything.

The next visit, a year later, same cousin pushes for an Italian dinner again, and I push for Mexican. Dozens of emails going around in circles among 2 cousins, my uncle and me. We went for Mexican at an upscale spot in Healdsburg. A year later, on my 3rd visit, same cousin says how embarrassing it was for her that our last meal together had been so mediocre. I was, like, I CHOSE that meal and I loved it.
Lol.

The next visit, a couple years later, we ate at a really mediocre Italian meal near my aunt’s care facility.

I don’t and won’t bother standing my ground anymore. I’ll eat where the relatives want to take me, then fit my Mexican meals in when I’m on my own. :rofl:

5 Likes

Kinda like the people who go to Long John Silver’s at the beach.

3 Likes

It’s the opposite to how I host guests from out-of-town. I ask them where they would like to eat in Toronto.

I don’t push where I want to eat, when someone has flown across the country to visit.

In fact, after 19 years of posting about food online, I let my friends and family choose the restaurant unless they ask me to choose and mean it. I can find something to eat, and I find it really annoying to have someone whine about not liking the restaurant I chose.

1 Like

You still have Long John Silvers?
I’m envious :smirk:

3 Likes

I never even thought of that. What a great idea!

We do usually make suggestions when guests visit, but I hope I’d be open to suggestions. My sister in NC knows places I would like but otherwise I just have to be patient. Often that has meant very bad “Chinese” because it’s acceptable to the group.

1 Like

I used to hate family gatherings at restaurants. There’s the folk who won’t eat this and the folk who won’t eat that. So, you end up with lowest common denominator crap because no-one can think of an objection (other than its crap).

3 Likes

No but we have Captain D’s!

2 Likes

Golden Corral buffet- husband’s uncle always wants to eat there. No thank you. Husband calls it “Cull Cow Palace” cause he has seen what they buy at markets. I know a guy who went to New Orleans and ate at Wendy’s. :thinking:

I spend a lot of time figuring out where my cousins would like to eat, then narrow it down, to give them choices. When they came to Canada for a road trip from Toronto to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, I took them for pizza, Greek, Dim Sum, Polish, Lebanese, Montreal bagels, etc, . I used to start threads for visiting friends, narrowing down the best places to get their favourite foods. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, Chinese is good. Everyone can order something they can stand.

1 Like

Actually, Chinese would not have been good. Too “foreign” for the late father-in-law. Same problem with Indian and Italian. He once came to dinner at our house and said - “you’re not cooking anything fancy are you. like green beans”

Then we have the gluten free family member. And the doesnt eat meat family member. Means the easiest choice was the local dining pub where everyone who has “issues” will find something basic to eat.

5 Likes