Where are my NJ Peep's???????

Helloooo kitty!! Hey I’m by no way trying to force loyalty to here vs. there, as you well know I myself still “swing both ways” (I have a feeling I’m going to live to regret using that phrase).

I just wanted to give you a heads up where a lot of the participants from there found a new home. Take a look around, I look forward to your contributions wherever they may be.

Thanks for coming!

Notice anything new, Dr No(t) ?

Imitation is the sincerest for of flattery

Is it imitation if it’s the original?

Well I gotta say the moderators on chow hound are just bizarre. They deleted a picture of a cake with an offer to share the recipe from a thread over there.

Anybody have any thoughts as to why they would do that?

There’s a few “Chow” threads that might get your question more attention rather than this thread on the NJ board.

In response to your question; I have no idea what they do there anymore.

Me either. Weird.

Well I think we have officially reached “the tipping point”. Both on our local board and Hungry Onion as a whole, there certainly seems to be more activity here, than over “there”. The latest batch of NJ defectors really seems to have put us over the top, I have checked over there the past few days and there aren’t any new threads, or any old activity bumping old threads up.

I do not check any of the non-regional boards, but nothing outside the NJ board has any new activity either.
Good job my local peeps, let’s keep the recruiting efforts up and continue to expand our new home. With numbers comes new perspectives and interests!

1 Like

I find that Chowhound, even on the NYC board, has become positively dreary. Endless threads about did I tip too much, did I get bad service, should I have yelled at the counterperson, how do I get the impossible reservation, etc.

Or, I’m a newbie from Texas coming to town and looking for an amazing michelin experience for under $ 25, y’all.

Also, people from Manhattan never go to Brooklyn, even though all the most interesting new places to eat are in Brooklyn. It’s just silly.

There is no content worth reading, and it’s a self absorbed community of navel gazers and lurkers to boot.

The NJ Chowhound board is moreover just deceased, dead, gone Polly, not pining for the fjords, Norwegian Blue. It smells worse than a three day old lobster in the sun.

So let’s hear it for the HOs.

1 Like

HO’s, G spots, Tater Tits…I think I know why there’s so much more “action” on this board…

In all honesty …it;s nice to see some activity again, with more reality based moderation…

Not to pile on but CH site redo was awful, and when I had a thread deleted for simply pointing out that the thread complimenting some new “great” place was started by a poster who had admitted in a separate thread that they were friends of that place’s owner’s, I nearly bailed for good…glad I stuck around long enough to hear about this place…

1 Like

That was an interesting policy of Chow’s. You weren’t allowed to post about your relationship with ownership or management of different restaurants to avoid shills. I was warned early on against that by the mods’ and I had one of my original posts removed for stating my relationship with the owner of a restaurant. I always found it odd, I would prefer to disclose my relationship then let the reader judge the veracity of my post for themselves.

Having grown up in the industry and remaining “involved” in it through my adult life, 50% or more of the places I visit I have some kind of relationship with, even if it’s a friendship established through being a customer. It’s a small industry and once you disclose your history in it, 75% of the time you are going to have common affiliations with an owner or manager.

Oh, it gets worse than that.

Somebody posted a thread on the NYC board last week asking where they could get a cake without frosting.

My response: Bake one?

This was accompanied by an offer of a delicious recipe and photos of an UNFROSTED noisette cake my wife was baking at that moment.

My response was deleted, as it was considered beyond the bounds of propriety. Apparently people do not have ovens in Manhattan.

But then the CH Mods continued to allow people to post to my post about being elderly, infirm, paralyzed, and with shingles such that the injuries would not allow them to bake.

I further got into trouble when I then responded that unless you had a c5 injury or had broken both arms I didn’t see how you couldn’t bake a cake. I didn’t even stoop to bring Gramma into it.

And then I was further curious as to the shingles, that is if one had shingles so bad that one couldn’t hold the mixing spoon, how would you be able to hold the spoon to eat the cake?

The whole thread was eventually deleted, but I found it hilarious while it lasted.

2 Likes

yeah- i don’t mind at all people in the industry or people who know a chef mentioning the place at all…in fact sometimes it’s the best place to get info…
In this case I objected to the fact that the guy mentioned he was friends with chef/or owner on one thread and was acting as a disinterested party trying to counteract bad reviews on another…If you’re friend, be open about it at least…
me pointing this small discrepancy out got my post deleted and a warning from the mods…

Hey Lambshanks, like my new avatar?

lol I think I’ve created an Monst-avater.

By the way, you did get that the post was about a Nut cake?

I just came back from that “other” NJ board, there hasn’t been activity there for a couple of days so I poked it with a stick a few times. Nothing…I think it’s dead. :skull_crossbones:

FYI where has @Chemicalkinetics been? I haven’t seen him post in awhile? Did someone leave the barn door open again?

Yep.

Yeah but you didn’t poke it with a stick, did ya?

2 Likes

He was glued to his perch:

1 Like