Where are my NJ Peep's???????

Consider me to be the latest transfer. I let something like 3 weeks lapse before I checked in to CH… and there were STILL only a few posts.

Hail, hail, the gang’s all here! It’s just like old times!

3 Likes

MMMM!!! (MarlboroManMyMan!!!) Welcome!!! Dam glad to see you!! If you don’t mind me asking how did you find us? I tried to contact as many people as I could, but I only had a certain amount of emails etc. Please if you have contact with any other old friends please spread the word.

The local NJ board here is still a work in progress, you will see many familiar names, please feel free to share as much as you can, it’s with an effort by all of us we will keep gaining traction. The general boards here have as much, if not more activity as Chow does these days.

Welcome again, I’m very happy to see you found us!! We also have private messaging here so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I recall seeing Curlz post about it on Chow a few days ago. Good job Curlz!!

I’m sorry I haven’t been posting much. I’ve been eating at home way too much and haven’t really had anything new and exciting to report on. :frowning:

1 Like

HI everyone…nothing big to report at the moment…went to Tommys in Sea Bright again, enjoyable but noticing lack of depth in the menu…

Just so glad to know where everyone went…

Yes!!! Welcome!!! What happened did you see Curlz latest post? Good to have you over here! Please spread the word if you know any other peeps who should join us!

Hey Not JR-
yup- saw the post and the light bulb went off…looking forward to the new site- looks pretty good and def more active…

@CurlzNJ Nice Job Kiddo !!! (Did you get any warning from them? I haven’t been brazen enough to post like you have, honestly I haven’t wanted to get suspended over there because I felt being able to stay active was more a benefit to possibly cross-recruitment then going out in a flaming ball of glory like so many others)

Nice…it sincerely is good to see you. While this site is obviously still young, with the continued growth of quality people, such as yourself, we should have a nice long life ahead of us.

Haven’t heard from anyone at CH but if they’re stupid enough to berate one of the few consistent posters they have left on that board, they’ll lose me too. It’s a shame when this stuff happens; I remember when eGullet was THE place to be, and look at how that imploded! I think there’s a place for more than one food board in the world, but what do I know…? :yum:

I agree completely but early on I had made mention about something to do with Hungry Onion and I received a “warning” email from them so I decided to back off. I see your post is still up two day’s later so perhaps it’s just flown under radar. Good work again, you’ve brought some solid players over.

Thanks! Trying… :slight_smile:

Curious to see Curlz post on CH. what is it called?

I’m going to private message you, if it is flying under radar I don’t want to point it out.

2 Likes

What happened to them?

I don’t recall what the post was but I saw Curlz mention this site and came over

eG was one of (if not THE) the first community food sites, and it was the only place for truly reliable info about food, cooking, restaurants, etc. (on an international level, no less) for many years. Overzealous moderating killed off what was once a really FUN place to be, then the co-founders had a falling out, and just like Chowhound, the local boards started to die off. I assume the site is still up and that the historical threads are there, but I haven’t been on it for years.
All that said, I met my first “foodie” friends on eG and there are a handful I remain close with to this day! The comaraderie that builds on a site like HO that allows for fun also encourages in-person gatherings and (IMO) keeps people reading and posting!

1 Like

@CurlzNJ,

Actually, CH was the first major community food site and was a giant even after eGullet was started by people who were originally CHers. eG’s decline began when a huge contingent of people left after a serious fight which included, iirc, allegations of anti-Semitism re: one member. That led to Steve Plotniki starting Opinionated About which began as a private food forum and eventually went public. Many of the former eGers joined Plotniki. However, some of them had issues with the way he was running OA, so they left and started the Mouthfulsfood forum where I’m a valued member. I was a member of OA for a brief time. It went out of existence several years back.

Thanks for doing what you can to bring people over here so that we can grow the NJ board! Obviously, it’s working since we’re now seeing some new members.

My Blog
My Flickr

3 Likes

Wow! Didn’t know eG came after CH! I discovered CH while on eG (2003ish) and eG was far more appealing. I lurked for a while, got to know the personalities of folks like tommyeats, FatGut (RIP), and the Perlows, and finally jumped in.

Just exchanged emails with Viking…hopefully we will start seeing him here as well!

Looks like you got the NJ board moving!! Wish NY/CT would start talking again!

So Dr No(t) what’s with that Avatar?

And if you had checked there was like maybe a post or two, including an original, not posted st else wear, review already on the ho.

I may, however, swing both ways for a while.