When your friend is a lousy cook

Welcome TastyMeltyCheese! I hope you find more topics of interest and post away!

1 Like

Wait, what? Your pasta water doesn’t taste like the sea?

Don’t make me come over there. Next person who wants their pasta water to taste like the sea gets a mouthful of sea. And that person will not be happy about it.

3 Likes

Fine, but pasta will cook in reasonably salted water, maybe naf is thinking of beans.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a possibility. I have a thing against advocating that things - fish, pasta water - should taste “like the sea.” The sea does not taste good. Saltwater tastes pretty good, but saltwater is not the same as the sea.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard anyone say fish should taste like the sea, a snapper should taste like a snapper and a speckled trout even better.

When buying fish at a market it should smell like the sea and not fishy.

1 Like

You’re part of the problem. Fish should smell like fish. I will copy/paste here something I posted on Chowhound 9ish years ago, which I still think is true.

The word “fishy” has acquired negative connotations, so now people insist that fish that smells “fishy” is bad. Fish that smells spoiled is bad, just like butter that smells spoiled is bad. But you don’t hear anyone telling you not to eat butter that smells buttery.

1 Like

Thanks for the ringing endorsement.

I stand by my statement as I’ve caught literally thousands of saltwater fish and when I bring them home and pop open the ice chest for cleaning on the kitchen counter they smell like the sea.

I don’t know what else to say.

I haven’t had an any food fights since Chowhound and I’m not getting in any now.

Goodbye.

One last thing since this thread is about lousy cooks I am a master fryer.

5 Likes

Sorry I reread my post again, I didn’t write it correctly, hence misunderstanding. What I meant was some friends cooked pasta in unsalted water and I tried to correct them if they were close.

I use very salty water. Something like 10g of salt to 1L water for 100g pasta.

5 Likes

After reading this thread I’m willing to find a way to adjust the meal prep vs being a rude guest. It not worth ruining a friendship.

2 Likes

I wonder in the eyes of people who placed less importance on food, we might be easily perceived as snobs.

3 Likes

Not snobs, particular. Nothing wrong there in my eyes if you stay classy.

I remember once husband was talking to his cousin, about good food in restaurants, the cousin’s reply, oh you mean those fancy restaurants that served tiny portions that I left hungry.

2 Likes

Lol naf, there’s nothing wrong with having an opinion. Differing opinions dont have to be confrontational. Life would be damn boring if it was all head bobs and grins. But kindness is free.

3 Likes

No problem. We went out with some friends with quite different opinion about food. But with certain preconceived ideas or preferences too different. It was quite difficult. In the end, those friends that we appreciate, will be more invited at home. LOL.

Makes sense. Food can be as political as any topic. Thankfully the choices are wide.

1 Like

Let’s keep in mind, smell like taste can be a very subjective thing. What smells like sea to you can smell quite differently to me.

Funny story back when I was in my making home made mozzarella days I decided maybe using sea water vs warm salted water would make it more authentic. Well let’s just say that experiment failed rather badly. Perhaps that’s the difference between the Mediterranean Sea vs the Jersey Shore. Lol

9 Likes

But there are those who place great importance on food but just do it badly. And then they expect compliments. As @Rooster said, it’s not worth ruining a friendship, so we tell them how good it was.

3 Likes

I have a friend for more than 50 years and when we are invited over for a meal, it has come to the point of no expectations for the food served. After all we have shared all of our life experiences together both individually and as families.

When they have a barbecue I know the grilled hamburgers will be first cooked well, seasoned and re-seasoned, then taken of the grill and warmed up in the microwave on the bun. I am never disappointed.
We always bring desert and that opens up the door for us to bring two or three items, from fruit to pie, to cake, cookies etc. and at least the finish will be good.
The best part when we visit for a meal, is saying our goodbyes with kisses and hugs and saying …“see you soon, thanks for a great evening”…

11 Likes

I would liken this to Jonathan Gold’s gracious approach to restaurant reviewing. He had the ability to change a small mom pop restaurant into a popular destination with one review and when he had a less than stellar meal, he wrote nada recognizing they should be given an opp to improve.

Class act.

11 Likes