When your friend is a lousy cook

Oddly enough my friends son in law is named .Jonathan Gold… but he is a PGA professional.

I bet you would’ve had pretty bad results with Mediterranean seawater too. For starters, it’s not up to you how salty it is. And although I’ve never made mozzarella, that’s probably something you’d want to control.

LOL! Literally.

1 Like

I’ve done this. More than once. Knowing that the food wouldn’t be that good, I’ve brought several things. Even the excuse “oh I was just experimenting…” LOL

Ditto with wines.

Favorites:

• Caprese using part skim low fat mozz and out of season tomatoes and dry basil. No olive oil and no balsamic.
  • Rancid butter on toast at a brunch/breakfast.
  • Big Red cake (http://www.grouprecipes.com/130777/big-red-cake.html)
  • Pretty much anything with Cool Whip
4 Likes

Cool Whip Nation is not happy :unamused:
I’m amused however.:cowboy_hat_face:
Their containers are top rate for leftovers at least.
:smiley:

2 Likes

They also make good containers for seedlings. Okay, I haven’t tried one, but I think it would be good.

I was out of half n half this weekend for coffee & didn’t feel like going to the store in my pajamas lol; a friend I was texting helpfully suggested I could stir some cool whip into my coffee -huh?? Never buy the stuff. Mysteriously I do have some old cool whip containers hanging around though…

2 Likes

Life is not perfect , friendship is . Bring something to their table . Enjoy . It’s not going to kill you . Invite them over and cook a meal . It’s a win , win .

7 Likes

I made a serious strategic mistake by posting about my dear friend/lousy cook on this thread. She was going to help me with a few tech issues regarding this web site, but I can’t ask her now because I don’t want her to know where I post lest she get curious and read about the horrendous casserole. I feel so disloyal! And also bad about the run on sentence :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

You might want to try asking on site talk board. Maybe someone knows how to solve your technical problems.

Welcome back, malarkey! My friend likes to make appetizers way ahead. Shrimp on lettuce leaves - they are very, very wilted!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say, that, yes, I love these friends and I recognize that their friendship is worth more than one lousy meal. But the meals are just awful, and that is what I was posting about, not the state of friendships. @emglow101 - I only quoted you to use it as the vehicle for stating that. It was not directed at you at all!

1 Like

True emglow! We will always be friends; just don’t want her to know I’ve been trash talking her kind offering.

Thanks, maybe I’ll do that; need an IPad upgrade, our desktop has been shut down (purposely) for awhile. Hope to be posting pics soon.

I have never heard of Big Red Cake or the soda for that matter. I’m assuming it is artificial cherry flavor??

1 Like

Try hamburger helper this way, no meat, a toasted bun and real tomato ketchup, nothing but the best.

1 Like

You mean other people have cool whip containers that have cool whip in them

4 Likes

I started to write about the travesty of overcooking meats on backyard grills, but realized that many of the incidents we describe as bad cooking are really differences in taste. It’s hard to qualify them as bad cooking if that is the way that one wants one’s food. The flip would be how unhappy that person would be at my house to be served what they perceive as “raw meat”.

Same applies to how people prefer their vegetables cooked.

Taste is a function of one’s experience, and all of ours is necessarily different. Can there be an absolute right or wrong when it comes to individual preferences in food?

4 Likes

The thought of not being comfortable enough to be honest with “long term, close friends” is just a weird concept for me to grasp. I suppose there are some who think I’m a shit because I stated upthread that I would not eat food that I do not like, friend or no friend.
I feel the need to clarify that response. If someone of little means invites me to share a meal in their home and there is no way to bow out, I will accept, eat as little as possible to not be noticed and that is that.
As far as friends, if they are in fact really good friends I would be much more comfortable being honest than pretending … also it goes both ways. Not every one of my friends necessarily appreciates or likes what I consider to be good food. Regarding family, say a family function … if the food sucked I would still attend, I just would abstain from eating, in addition we always bring something.
EDIT: When bringing something, there is never a presumption on our part that it will be served … that is up to the host/s to decide

6 Likes
5 Likes