When Something "New" Isn't

Try this on for size. What’s new?

1 Like

My experience with the double cast iron griddles is that the heat is uneven and makes something hard that should be easy.

1 Like

This is clad. I don’t see a bonded bottom , either. Apparently what makes it hybrid is just the matrix lining.

1 Like

I have a cast iron griddle and even though my stove has an oblong burner designed for griddles, I rarely (never?) use it on the stove. More likely to use on the grill outside.

3 Likes

I was reading with rapt attention until I came across the words “nonstick coating.” They did not seem willing to get into details about it. Did I overlook something?

1 Like

Is Hexclad actually worth the hype? It seems to be the new hotness being pushed by YouTubers as sponcon.

I don’t know, but America’s Test Kitchen didn’t seem to like it.
21:03 in this video Hexclad America’s Test Kitchen Review

3 Likes

IMO, no it’s not worth it.

Its sole advantage is that its partially nonstick lining is (allegedly) more durable. That’s it. Other than that, it’s mediocre cookware favored by fad.

Consumers should understand that this claim about durability is based on the hills-and-valleys topography of the lining. The nonstick material is only in the valleys. The hills are SS. The idea is that utensils will never get into the valleys, thereby protecting the soft nonstick from wear.

It’s a sound concept (one pioneered in Frieling’s Black Cube line). But having literally thousands of discrete little nonstick atolls doesn’t help at all with durability from heat degradation. If heat and oil gradually destroy unitary nonstick linings, there’s no reason to believe they won’t degrade an archipelago of nonstick dots. Likewise, the abrasives in scouring powder and DW detergent definitely WILL get into the valleys. Finally, if adhesion and layer strength count for anything, dots are probably more likely to flake off over time than will a continuous surface.

Frieling never got traction with Black Cube, but it didn’t soak millions into ads, paid reviews, and influencers, either. IMO, Hexclad’s most vociferous fans are generally new to cookware and cooking, making them appealingly gullible.

The pattern in the lining looks tech-y and cool. Maybe that’s enough? I suppose I could argue for Hexclad on the basis that metal turners won’t hurt it much, but that’s pretty thin gruel given the rest of its design.

4 Likes

Sounds like it is absolutely a pass then! Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you!
Found that out with the Circulon brand 30+ years ago.:confused:

1 Like

Nice one!

Oof. I had a Circulon frypan way back when. And that’s what I thought of. Didn’t work then, fool me twice …

1 Like

Absolutely! I’m still trying to figure out how to get rid of the collection I have.:upside_down_face:

I think mine got donated decades ago!

I thought it was just an upgrade from Circulon. I didn’t know it is from a different company.

The majority of cookware marketing is for schnooks and other fools…

The sad fact is that this principle has put SO many reputable brands OOB that it is tragicomical. We’re at a point where even “venerable” brands and lines succeeded based on fraud.

(post deleted by author)

I have seen commercials for Anolon X with “SearTech” technology. Nonstick , of course. Looks like their riff on hexclad. My money is safe in my wallet. :identification_card:

2 Likes

And venerable brands are trying to market themselves by making changes to venerable designs. Take Mauviel copper, for instance. A saucepan of today will like be 1.5 mm (lighter and, therefore, easier to lift), have a stainless steel lining (tougher and easier to maintain than tin), a stainless steel handle (cooler than brass to the touch and doesn’t need any care as cast iron does (although in reality, cast iron needs no special care), and a lid with a loop handle and a “drop in” seal. Heavy tinned copper with a flat pigtail lid and cast iron handles worked just fine, other than the horror of the cash register. Even something as timeless and basic as a carbon steel pan has undergone marketing change that really has not changed its performance, carbon steel being carbon steel, you know.

1 Like