what's your snack?

It’s actually quite easy and fast, given that duck breast is so small, relative to other cuts of meat that are usually cured (months and months for a pig’s leg, for example).

Just take a duck breast, press whatever aromatics you’d like to add, and bury it in salt. My first go was just salt, though for subsequent ones I’ve added black pepper and mace (duck #2), and black pepper, mace, and sesame seed (duck #3, which is drying right now).

You can cure it in salt for anywhere between 12-24 hours, depending on whether you want the texture to be softer and less salty (less time), or firmer and saltier (more time - I’ve read of people curing even longer than 24 hours, but I worry that it’d end up being a salt lick). I think so far I like it to be cured for around 24 hours - it gives a more typical charcuterie texture. And it forces you to eat less and have your tasty product last longer.

After curing, I rinse with water and give it a quick rinse with some leftover wine I’ve had sitting around - the acidity in the wine will help with killing bacteria on the surface. You can press more aromatics onto the duck at this point.

Wrap in a couple layers of cheesecloth, take note of its weight, then find a spot in your fridge to dry it. I’ve actually been drying it on a rack over a tray of salt that I’ve dampened with water with a plastic lid over the contraption, to no ill effect - the purpose of the setup is to keep the humidity high enough so the meat doesn’t dry too quickly (case hardening, as it’s called). Flip it every so often so there’s some semblance of even drying.

The breast should lose close to 30% of its weight post-cure, though with the layer of fat being as thick as it can be, and since fat doesn’t hold water, I’d say something around 25% would be more appropriate. In the end, use your judgment, and don’t be afraid to get handsy with it to see how soft it is. Generally the 2 week mark has been working for me.

I’m not sure I’d be one to start a thread on it as I’m just learning, but there are many great resources across the web.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m booking marking this to try. :smile:

1 Like

Lately I’ve been unable to resist dried mangoes.

Lingua, I haven’t tried this recipe yet but a favorite steakhouse of mine serves popcorn at the bar as a snack. I’ve never had such deep, rich flavored popcorn in my life, it’s friggin delicious! I finally had to ask for the recipe:

Plain unflavored popcorn
Bacon Grease
Truffle Oil
Coarse Salt
Parsley

Toss all together. You WILL thank me!!
(Thanks to my diabetes corn has been removed from my diet but I’m dying to make this at home. If you do please report back)

2 Likes

Since my discovering my potential type 2 diabetes snacking has become almost non-existent habit. One thing I have discovered and fallen in LOVE with is Almond Butter.

Take half a baby carrot drop it in, spoon it out, delicious and healthy and filling.

3 Likes

I’m loving the pretzel goldfish i nabbed on impulse the other day…the originals were like a food group for me as a kid!

1 Like

I have a lot of days where i eat snacks vs a proper lunch so i keep a lot of them on hand. This time of year i have one big honeycrisp apple a day, and i will until the season is over.
I make a mix of dry roasted edamame (like from seapoint farms) with pretzel sticks or the sesame pretzel nuggets from trader joe’s, and whatever nuts i have on hand- usually cashews or almonds.
Sugar snap peas with hummus

1 Like

Carrots and celery. I know, disgustingly healthful. If it helps - I like them well-laden with blue cheese dressing.

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. I’m a terrible cook so my mother makes a huge batch for me which I freeze. She does that with other Sri Lankan foods as well because I’m a shameful daughter. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

This looks very delicious, have you tried other products(like hazelnut one) from the same maker?

I haven’t, but would imagine it’s of the same quality and deliciousness–and would be a serious step up from Nutella! :wink:

Bread and olive oil or dried/fresh fruit is what’s quickly on hand at any time. My perfect home would have an olive grove and fig trees. Guess that’s not happening here. Snow tonight. Sigh.

@thechez5 - Your mother is amazing! She wouldn’t want to share recipes, by any chance, would she? I’ve been trying to learn how to make a few Sri Lankan dishes and would love an authentic source (cutlets, patties, love cake, or whatever she’d be willing to share!) :slight_smile: