What's your favorite pasta shape..and why?

They would be great with a chunky mushroom sauce.

1 Like

Yup, there’s one that caught my eye using porcini, with speck and pistachios. I’ve got SO MUCH dried pasta in my house. I seriously need to stop shopping.

1 Like

I know, right? I like rigatoni too, so it’s not about disliking ridged pasta. Don’t think H understands it, but he avoids it too now.

It’s Greek North American innovation, like the Hawaiian pizza. It’s brilliant.

@DaBadger @bbqboy @greygarious @Phoenikia et al – might be time for a chili thread now that football season is comin…hold the pasta with mine

my “secrets” are vindaloo paste and anchovies. hotdog rings = flavor crystals

2 Likes

A start…

Cinnamon is a must in Greek and Turkish spaghetti with tomato-meat sauce, Makaronia me Kima, as well as in Pastitsio.

2 Likes

I was gonna say…

I once made up this fantasy about the inventors of Cincinnati Chili: they had some chili that happened to have some cinnamon, and Spiro says, “Hey Petros! Makaronada!”, Petros replies, “Makaronada, Spiro!” And they dance around the room as they plan for their big break.

In my family, it’s the merest hint of cinnamon in tomato sauce. My brother-in-law can’t stand cinnamon, but happily eats my moms Greek dishes. When we told him they had cinnamon, he didn’t believe it, and still probably doesn.t

3 Likes

It’s def one of those spices that need to be used sparingly (like cumin), but it adds a nice je ne sais quoi to meat sauces.

2 Likes

In the rest of the known world, that’s called Johnny Marzetti.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think cinnamon or cumin need to be used sparingly, but YMMV.

I use around 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp dried
oregano and 1 tsp ground cumin when I make a sauce with 28 ounces of canned tomatoes.

This recipe calls for 2 tsp cinnamon : 28 ounces of canned tomatoes/ 2 lb fresh tomatoes . I’d probably use 1 tsp of ground cinnamon for 2 lbs of fresh tomatoes.

Always depends on the dish & personal preferences, natch. I’m not big on either seasoning. They have their place, but I’d rather they don’t take center stage.

1 Like

I understand that.

I feel the same way about dried basil.

1 Like

I’ve never had any use for either dried basil or dried parsley. The basil always tastes off, and the dried parsley… well, might as well add confetti to a dish. Zero flavor.

1 Like

Amen and hallelujah! I do not even know why they make dried parsley. Obviously it has no flavor, but it doesn’t even look nice. I love flat leaf parsley, but I am also that odd duck who actually likes the brightness of curly parsley, especially on steamed and buttered new potatoes, BB, and CAV.

2 Likes

Good for you- stay strong, girl!

I like them both, preferably fresh. I guess I could say I appreciate the color when the dry is added to a dish but you’re right, it doesn’t add anything else to the dish. There’s a dirty joke about parsley that I will not share so i don’t get (rightfully) kicked off the site.
I thank Harters (I think) for telling me that parsley likes England’s cold wet weather. I always bought plants as a summer herb. I let a parsley plant go to seed this summer, I hope I get some seedlings out of it

2 Likes

Parsley is a perennial here in southern Ontario.

1 Like

I’ve honestly never had it. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: Just didn’t think it was the worst idea. I like cornbread with my chili much better than I picture myself with noodles in there. Cone bread!

I love the curly, too. I like to have curly, flat and cilantro on hand. Curly can’t be killed in my climate. Just keeps producing.

1 Like