What's your favorite pasta shape..and why?

My girlfriend always asked for Farfalle, so I purchased & kept a good supply in stock.
Then I tried my hand at making homemade spinach pasta, now she doesn’t want to go back to the store bought Farfalle.
I may donate it to the local food bank, I’m sure they can do something with it.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Cincinnati Chili is a meat chili served over spaghetti, with the option of toppings including canned kidney beans and oyster crackers.
Here’s a link to this abomination, with photo. I can happily report I have never eaten it! https://www.allrecipes.com

1 Like

Aw, Cincinnati chili is some great stuff. One just can’t dive in with Texas misconceptions. It is a unique entity.

3 Likes

Actually, my chili taste isn’t genuine either. I wouldn’t eat Texas anything. My German mother’s attempt at chili contained ground chuck, canned kidney beans, onions, bell peppers, and tomato paste, over rice. That’s IT. Mine differs only in the addition of chili powder and garlic. Spaghetti? Cinnamon?..shudder! À chacon son goût.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m cool with Cinci chili. Little more stick-to-your-ribs. I love well wilted celery in mine. Can of crushed tomatoes, cumin, salt, garlic, onions, little cut up jalapeno, wilted celery and I’m home. I like to wilt the onions, celery and garlic in beer first.

3 Likes

I am not great fan of pasta salads, but radiatore works with very finely minced onion and bell pepper, julienned sun-dried tomatoes, quartered Kalamata olives, olive oil, red wine vinegar (very little), and Romano.

1 Like

I love wide, home made pappardelle for Bolognese and orecchiette for mac and cheese.

2 Likes

To me, pappardelle (apart from the utter delight of just saying the word) are the epitome of pasta.

3 Likes

LOVE the pappardelle for many things, very likely my favorite, but naming just one is like choosing a favorite kid or cat! Cavatappi is right up there, along with orzo, and linguine or spaghetti. Little ears are good for collecting sauce. Penne is at the very bottom of the list, don’t enjoy it much.

4 Likes

Penne are my least favorite pasta as well. I don’t know what it is about them, compared to rigatoni.

3 Likes

Whereas I like the bias cut, so I always get penne. :smiley: I’m glad there are so many pasta shapes out there to satisfy us all!

And while at Home Goods a couple of days ago, I picked up a bag of paccheri, and went searching for various recipes in which to use it.

3 Likes

Paccheri are great, too.

I was looking for some non-bolognesey recipes (although that’s still definitely on my list!) and found a couple that interested me enough to bookmark.

They would be great with a chunky mushroom sauce.

1 Like

Yup, there’s one that caught my eye using porcini, with speck and pistachios. I’ve got SO MUCH dried pasta in my house. I seriously need to stop shopping.

1 Like

I know, right? I like rigatoni too, so it’s not about disliking ridged pasta. Don’t think H understands it, but he avoids it too now.

It’s Greek North American innovation, like the Hawaiian pizza. It’s brilliant.

@DaBadger @bbqboy @greygarious @Phoenikia et al – might be time for a chili thread now that football season is comin…hold the pasta with mine

my “secrets” are vindaloo paste and anchovies. hotdog rings = flavor crystals

2 Likes

A start…