What's your favorite homemade dip recipe?

I’ve been making this dip for every gathering since April last year, and my friends still request it.

I’ve made it with the suggested gorgonzola, with cambozola, with creamy feta, with a Danish blue; I’ve added fresh thyme to it, and freshly ground pepper; I’ve served it with snap peas, crackers, and with french baguette. All iterations were winners. (Although my favorite is the cambozola and pepper.) Just don’t be afraid to add as much heavy cream as you need, and a good drizzle of good evoo.

here’s one I made a few weeks ago, with gorgonzola:

gorgonzola%20cream%20dip%20(2)

(ok, maybe that’s more than a drizzle, but the bowl was licked clean.)

8 Likes

Do you mash with a spoon or do you use a food processor?

Sorry, @bmorecupcake - just saw this. Mash with a fork.

2 Likes

A few of our faves include:

Black Olive Tapenade … With focaccia ( flat bread, no sponge, from Liguria )

Cabrales Asturian Blue Cheese Dip … on canapés

Prawn or Lobster Salad served with Chapata, the Spanish versión of Cibatta …

Grissini breadsticks served with any of the above …

Babaghanuj - Aubergine Mezze with hot Pita …

3 Likes

Ina Garten’s Sun Dried Tomato dip. Make it a day ahead for the flavors to blend.

2 Likes

Not technically a “dip” but I’m wondering if anyone has a smoked whitefish or trout or similar pate/salad recipe they like?

So far I’ve found Tasting Table (Smitten also posted it) and April Bloomfield’s - bit the cottage cheese makes me wonder.

This link lists the ingredients my wife uses. She tweaks the amts by taste.

Thanks! What fish does she use? Aside from salmon I’m still a newbie to buying smoked fish at the store…

Smoked white fish because it’s the easiest to find and the most pleasing to our family/company. Look for bone in pieces still covered in golden skin. Peel against the bone and finger check for the tiny bones. Food processor after that.

1 Like

Thank you! I do love being completely new to something… so much to learn. (Wonder if the counter folks at Zabar’s will be amused or annoyed :rofl:)

Me too! Happy shopping.

Adding this brandade from buvette - I like brandade warm, but they served it cold and that was good too.

1 Like

This sounds delicious as well. Never had a cod-potato dip combo.

These fish-based dips look like close cousins to me. Bluefish pate is another riff. Mentioning this because if the flavor of the dip is robust enough, scooping the dip onto toasted pumpernickel bread is tasty.

This topic is making me hungry.

4 Likes

I first had it at a spanish restaurant - similar name, brandada, but it was hot and broiled for a crust. Served with toasts.

1 Like

We were taught brandade by a friend with a French grandmother, Gascony area. Raw egg and shredded (soaked and cooked) salt cod, beat into hot crushed potatoes, along with lots of garlic and fruity olive oil… NO CREAM. Served warm as a main dish or cold later. Also fried up in cakes.

4 Likes

I finally tried (a slightly tweaked version of) @Rooster’s recommended tuna mousse and it was a Big Hit! Served with grissini, which were perfect given the texture.

Going into the permanent recipe bank.

Michael Chiarello has the same recipe on Food Network as well but with slightly different proportions of the ingredients.

Reminded me of this salmon mousse from Martha Stewart which I tried a few years ago - sounded weird because of the gelatin, but was also a Big Hit that needs to be revisited.

And the brandade too!

4 Likes

I love a simple salsa for tortilla chips. Chopped tomatoes, garlic, lime, cilantro is all it takes. The trick is to use freshly, made tortilla chips, hot-o’t-da-fryer.

Or I make a warm cheese dip.

|½ pound|Fresh Cheddar Cheese (shredded, smoked, sharp or American cheddar)|
|1 tablespoon|Butter|
|¾ cup|Green Onions (finely chopped)|
|2 large cloves|Garlic (minced)|
|3 ½ ounces|Tomatoes (diced, Roma, grape or cherry tomatoes)|
|½ teaspoon each|Ground Cumin And Onion Powder|
|½ teaspoon|Cayenne Pepper (add more to taste if desired)|
|1 tablespoon|Cornstarch
|13 ounces|Evaporated Milk (full fat)|
|4 ounces|Fire Roasted Green Chiles (or jalapenos)|
|¼ cup|Fresh Cilantro (finely chopped)|

I copied this one because it’s what I do. I use Hatch chiles for this one as my fire roasted green chiles. I’ll also roast a tomatillo or two and add that jelly to it, and reduce the tomato a bit.

I’ve tried others that don’t have flour/corn starch, but I like the bechamel love for consistency.

4 Likes

I like smoked trout dip https://ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/8042-smoked-trout-and-dill-dip

3 Likes

I believe it’s WI farmer’s cheese that they use in Chicago for upside down pizza. I think it’s The Grinder that uses farmer’s cheese exclusively. Famer’s cheese is amazing in a bechamel. Slight little funk to it I love.