What's your favorite German dessert?

Willkommen, Rosyred!

A local bakery makes the most delicious Kugelhopf. I’ve tried to replicate it with a couple of recipes (one I found online, another from Luisa Weiss’ Classic German Baking) and they were just not good. :frowning: If anybody has a recipe or tips/tricks, I’m all ears!

Was it a yeasted or baking powder kugelhopf?

I like this blog, but haven’t made this kugelhopf.

So many versions.

https://www.marionkane.com/recipes/kugelhopf/

I’ve only made the yeasted Alsatian type with raisins, but I haven’t made it in 30 years.

The two I’ve made were both yeasted. I wonder if the bakery does not use yeast - the ones I made had a slightly yeasty flavor. The bakery one is a super-yummy almond scented cake studded with some dried fruit and is similar in texture to baking-powder raised bundt cakes.

Thanks for the link - I will give that first recipe with baking powder a try, hopefully by next week, and report back.

While there are regional Kugelhopfs that are famous and distinct, like the yeasted raisin and almond one in Alsace, the term kugelhopf itself refers to the shape of the cake, and the type of pan used, so the batters vary a lot, just like the batters used in Bundt cakes!

Here is a yeasted version from Dorie https://jewishviennesefood.com/gugelhupf-bundt-cakes-viennas-classic-coffeehouse-pleasures-according-to-dorie-greenspan-the-jewish-connection-קוגלהוף-kugelhopf-kuglof-yomkippur/

The Austrian marble Gugelhupf calls for baking powder

1 Like

The kugelhopf from Glenn Mitchell in Maggie Glezer’s Artisan Baking is absolutely incredible.

Another great one from one of my favorite baking blogs:

https://www.hefe-und-mehr.de/en/2014/07/elssser-gugelhupf/?noredirect=en_GB

Aside from the link above, Stephanie has a few different types— poppy seed, chocolate, and a couple of others.

1 Like

I have this book. Do you think you absolutely need a kugelhopf pan, or could make it in a traditional 10 cup bundt pan.

Ha, the question I’ve been pondering since my kugelhopf pan’s coating peeled off. It’s smaller than a bundt pan, so I’ve thought of using the Heritage one which is a bit smaller, but I haven’t tried it out yet.

1 Like

Got it - thanks! Will research, and post if I have any good ideas.

1 Like

I have that book, as well. There have been some great loaves made from it, but I’ve never made the kugelhopf. Time to change that.

I also have a favour to ask. My copy of the book is a misprint and I am missing pages 149 to 163, but have a double insert of 181 to 194.

Apart from Sullivan Street doughs and pizzas (I have Jim Lahey’s other books, so I basically have these) am I missing anything vital? If either of you are able to let me know, I’d really appreciate it.

1 Like

P. 149: last page of instructions for Finnish Rye Bread.
PP. 150-151: general info about pizza
PP. 152-155: Gemelli Pizza Margherita (beginner)
PP. 156-159: Sullivan Street Potato Pizza (intermediate)
PP. 160-162: general info about pandoro

If you want photos of any of those pages, I can DM them to you.

2 Likes

The last page of the Finnish Rye Bread would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Just messaged you with same. Happy Baking!

I’m afraid my awareness of German desserts is slim.
I’ve been craving a trip to Lübeck to visit the Niederegger factory (marzipan) … and because it was a seat of power of the Hanseatic League (the -hansa in Lufthansa).

I was addicted to buying Ritter Sport Marzipan at airport duty free shops, but that was again for the marzipan.

Are there better chocolates? Of course. But I still dig the marzipan.

For pastries/cakes, I’ve had more baumkuchen in Japan, but it’s too dry.

Does anyone have recommendations for things with plums/berries?
This one sounds good: germknödel.

2 Likes

Cheaper than a trip to Germany; why not just buy this:

They just got a shipment, but only a small quantity. I bought some.

1 Like

Never turn down rhe opportunity to travel.

I agree completely, but if you’re craving marzipan, this is a way to get it now instead of waiting till you travel. I always carry a “comestible bag” when I travel.

1 Like

Lol.

I have had to turn down the opportunity to travel for the past 3 years and 5 months.

I had to cancel my in-the-same- province summer travel plans yesterday thanks to the the wildfires in Canada.

Thank God for imports. Every time I see another friend post about their trip to Japan, I end up craving Japanese food, and either I go out for Japanese food or I attempt to make it at home.

I have no idea when I will be able to travel beyond a few hours from my home again.

Baumkuchen is always dry. A lot of German, Austrian and Swiss cakes are on the dry side.

There are tons of recipes involving plums or berries.

For berries, rotegruetze, which is mentioned earlier, which is a summer pudding of mixed berries. Many different kuchens involving various berries.

Donauwelle Is a marble cake with a cherry layer, buttercream and ganache.

Plums- kuchen, dumplings, plum compote filled krapfen.

I like this Swiss Blog https://www.helvetickitchen.com/recipes/2015/9/16/zwetschgenwahe?format=amp

The WSJ had an article years ago about how much food goes around the world in peoples luggage.

Food ties us to each other, to our travels, to our culture, and to our history.

2 Likes