What's your favorite German dessert?

Most Canadian versions used a moister cake. I’m okay with that! I custom ordered a Black Forest Cake for my birthday in 2021. I also like Black Forest Crêpes and Black Forest Trifle.

2 Likes

Yes, chocolate and cherries is a classic combination, love it!

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me why Spaghetti Ice Cream is (1) German and (2) popular in German?

I suppose the article below touches on both points, but anyone have additional context?

Thanks.

https://spaghettieis.co/

Franzbroetchen
Rote Gruetze
Donauwellen
Berliner
Schmalzkuchen
Bienenstich
Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte
Butterkuchen
Rumkugeln
Quarkbaellchen
Frankfurter Kranz
Baumkuchen
Windbeutel
Lebkuchen
Klassischer Apfelkuchen
Rosinenschnecken
Erdbeer-Sahne Schnitte

Spaghetti-Eis became actually popular around 1960 at a time when more and more Germans after WW2 benefited from a rapidly growing economy and started to travel through the world (there are some statistics that on average that Germans are in the top 3 countries who like to travel abroad). One very popular country at that time was Italy. At the same time the German had so many open positions through all parts of industry that they started to attract very large numbers of immigrants from mainly southern Europe (Italy, Turkey, Greece, former Yugoslavia). Especially Italians started many. restaurants and gelato shops all over Germany. And since everything Italian was very trendy at that time spaghetti-eis (but also pizza-eis) was the perfect combination to attract many people to order something bigger (and more expensive) than just one or two scoops of gelato at the ice cream shop. And today this tradition still exists and you hardly find any gelato shop without it (unfortunately very few do it here in California - but at least one in SF (and they do it the right way)

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

My favorite ice cafe in my hometown made “green lasagna:” pistachio ice cream atop whipped cream with blueberry sauce & shaved white chocolate.

3 Likes

Want to mention both pfeffernusse and springerle cookies. The pfeffernusse are mellow but spicy and contain black pepper, and the springerle are slightly anise flavored and ivory colored.
Both are Christmas Christmas Christmas to me.

Also, I used to be known as “blue room” over at Chowhound, but I was not able to log in that way here (tried several ways for several days.) So changed email and user name – now I am “rosyred” here @ Hungry Onion. Hello to everyone!

9 Likes

Welcome!

I had a great Salzburger Nockerln (sp?) in Munich. Need to find a recipe.

This?

I love a good souffle

3 Likes

Then you would love this, a chocolate/gianduja soufflé I made a few months ago. It’s not very clear in the picture, but the inside is still (French style) a bit liquid under the top crust.

7 Likes

Can’t remember what it looked like as it was many moons ago.

Excuse me, I need a moment alone.

tenor-27526376

2 Likes

My favorite German dessert is Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, also known as Black Forest Cake. It is a rich chocolate cake filled with cherries and cream, topped with chocolate shavings and a cherry.

Hungry Onion’s own @sfcarole makes an incredible plfaumenkuhen. Deceivingly rich but perfectly balanced with controlled sweetness. She serves it in reasonable, i.e., small, portions that leave you licking your fork.

3 Likes

Interesting! Pflaumenkuchen may be one of my least favorite German cakes… always too tart, too crumbly.

What makes @sfcarole’s so rich?

Butter? @sfcarole ?

1 Like

This cake may have originally been an apple cake, but in any case there is a cup of flour (4.5 oz) and 2 ounces of butter, a cup of sugar (6 oz) and a large egg, plus some baking powder and vanilla. Sliced plums go on top. After baking for 45 minutes, a mixture of butter, sugar and egg gets poured over the cake and baked another 25 minutes. Not crumbly at all.

3 Likes