What's your favorite German dessert?

The first time I had Kalter Hund I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. While also a type of cake, I could see having a slice of that for dessert. I just generally don’t think of cake as a dessert food. Looks like it’s a ‘me’ thing.

That’s because it’s for kaffee und kuchen. Desserts are another thing altogether.

…and people think the English definition of pudding is confusing…

1 Like

As well as “biscuits” or “chips”

Thank you. I thought my family was an outlier, but I also don’t recall being served cake for dessert at other people’s places :woman_shrugging:t3:

While I realize it’s coffee and cake around 4 pm in many parts of Germany and Central Europe, the German immigrants and their descendants often serve the German / Central Euro cakes as dessert here in Canada and the States. Maybe because the coffee and cake at 4 pm doesn’t happen for many people who immigrated.

Black Forest Torte was a very popular dessert in Canada in the 70s & 80s. I have definitely had cake for dessert after evening meals in Tyrol . Might be aimed at British and North American tourists. That’s where I first had Malakofftorte, in 2006.
Whereas, Donauwelle, I tried at 4 pm, with coffee, in Mecklenburg.
The schnecken, I eat before noon.

I took German dessert to mean any sweet pudding, sweet pancake, sweet fritter, sweet steamed fruit dumplings or sweet baked goods, regardless of what time of day I eat it.

1 Like

#1 rehrucken
#2 strudel

Without getting too much into semantics, I think of a “dessert” as part of a meal - proceeded by other courses, i.e. I don’t randomly have dessert (foods) during the day.

I suppose if ipse had written "favorite German sweet treat / pastry / cake / tart / etc. " (admittedly not as snappy a title), I would’ve been less confused.

I do enjoy Kaffee & Kuchen when in Germany, and the selection of cakes, pies, and tarts at this place is amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had to look up the first one. Apparently another Austrian infiltrator dish :smiley:

So good that I’ve somehow accumulated 3 rehrucken tins. Tho the ridges don’t show very well in the pic. Grated chocolate, almond flour and spices. Make great gifts as it keeps well in the fridge.

4 Likes

It sounds very good!

So, would you say on an average day, dies Lindys sell more strudel? Or more cheesecake?

1 Like

Probably cheesecake- didn’t know they had strudel.

Nice $$$$ tortes & strudel with a view at Café Sabarsky in the Neue Galerie.

(Two Little Red Hens is reopening in 2023- that’s my favourite NYC cheesecake)

Interesting how different things are. The German/Austrian immigrants I knew had coffee and cake at about 2:00 pm and on weekends only. Dessert was something served every now and then, certainly not every day. If you wanted something sweet after dinner, there would sometimes be cookies available or you could have as much fruit as you liked. It kept sweet things special. Christmas, of course, was an overload of treats which we eagerly looked forward to.

1 Like

I think of “dessert” as a desert with an extra "s"

3 Likes

I’m sure it varies a lot. My grandparents, who immigrated from Central Europe to Saskatchewan, did not have coffee and cake every day. Probably mostly on Saturday and Sunday, when people would visit.

My retired cousins I visit north of Berlin seemed to have coffee and cake at 4 daily, but maybe that was because I was visiting. When we would take a road trip, we would stop for cake at 4, too. When they visited Canada, they wanted apple pie at 4 pm daily.

2 Likes

Its a line from Guys & Dolls. According to the play Lindys sold more str,udel.

1 Like

Oops. Lol

Mindy’s in Guys & Dolls :female_detective:

http://www.cswap.com/1955/Guys_and_Dolls/cap/en/2_Parts/a/00_23

And fate’s vengeance is not “just desserts”. Pronounced that way, but it’s “just deserts”, derived from French, with the first word referring to justice, the second to what the miscreant deserves.

1 Like

I haven’t been to Germany, but based on what I know and have tried, it’s Black Forest Cake. I have a recipe from an old Bon Appetit from an inn/resto in the Black Forest. It’s really good, supposedly the real deal, but I wouldn’t know. Ground almonds and grated chocolate in the batter. It’s been a special occasion cake in our family for years. Ya, used the kirsch too, and Morello cherries.

2 Likes