What's The West Coast Dungeness Season Looking Like?

Totally jealous!!!

2 Likes

Well you’ll just have to stop and pick up @shrinkwrap, and come on up here for a crab crack.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Like Roseanne Roseannadana said, “… It’s always something!”.

2 Likes

“I got a letter here from Mr. Richard Feder from Fort Lee, New Jersey…”

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

the latest from H&H:

“The Dungness Crab season has been pushed back. The soonest it could open is currently December 17th. There is a fly-over happening on December 7th. If the Department of Fish & Wildlife doesn’t see any whales in the area, we should get the green light to open on the 17th.”

4 Likes

Newport Oregon via Out West photography

5 Likes
1 Like

I saw ‘Oregon’ Dungeness frozen whole crabs at one grocery yesterday for $26.99/lb. They were $12.98/lb at Safeway, but they didn’t look all that big. Ay yi yi!

More delays: Locally caught Dungeness crab off the menu until 2023 (koin.com)

Looks like sometime in January, if we are lucky.

1 Like

Crossing fingers and toes!

A compromise may permit local fisherman in zone 4 to fish crab as early Jan 1st:

(paraphrasing) At a recent meeting (Dec 19th) in Santa Cruz, the most important action item was a vote on whether to accept a lifeline given by the CDFW: the fishermen would be allowed to fish with half of their permitted gear beginning Jan. 1. Less gear in the water would, officials hope, mean a lower chance of whale entanglement while still giving crab fishermen some income. It’s far from a perfect solution, but it’s something, and the 12 permit-holders present at the meeting voted unanimously to accept the offer. The decision comes with a risk: If a whale becomes entangled in the lines, it could endanger the rest of the season not just locally but for the entire California coast. [Its hoped] it also gives fishermen an opportunity to show that they can fish safely alongside the whales, which could be crucial to opening the season earlier in the future while whales are still present.

I’m glad they are trying to find long term solutions. It seems delaying every season due to whale migratioons is a rather blunt instrument (they are thankfully here to stay). This approach may strike a middle ground.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yay!

Although I don’t eat Dungeness crab with butter. Is that a thing?

Another story.

1 Like

Lobster with butter. Dungeness with BF mayo and fresh lemon!

2 Likes

I know…it’s paywalled.

Hopefully a free share.

Basically some of the boats may not risk the weather.

Has anyone had them shipped to the east coast with good results?
Should one order them cooked or live? Thanks.

I haven’t heard of live Dungeness crab shipped coast to coast, if that’s what you mean. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them shipped cooked, but I can’t say it’s worth it. I’m more of a “love the one your with” type ( when it comes to food :face_with_hand_over_mouth:).

Sometimes I long for live lobster locally, but I never seem to see it.

1 Like

I sort of thought it wouldn’t be great but husband is from west coast and misses them. I know live lobsters ship ok from Maine to west coast, crab is probably more delicate.