What's The West Coast Dungeness Season Looking Like?

Understood.

99 Ranch is on Florin road just west of, uh, 99. :slight_smile:

I know about the butter not always being safe, but as far as I know, you’d have to eat quite a bit of it, or eat it quite often, for even the ‘unsafe’ years to make an otherwise healthy adult sick. But I’m only vaguely recalling info I ‘heard somewhere once’, so I’m happy to be pointed to better info.

And yeah, using the shells for stock is the move I WANT to make, but freezing the shells never crossed my mind! Do you just rinse off whatever gets left in the shell bowl, put it in a couple of layers of ziplock and chuck it into the deep freeze?

I might have to do that so I can have crab stock next time I want garlicy shrimp pasta…

You are absolutely right! Growing up in Culver City, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica, and Carlsbad, as a certified diver since the age of 13, fresh abalone, clams, mussels, lobster, urchins, and a bunch of other stuff was a given. But for crab (my all time fav Alaskan King), I just went out and ordered it at dozens of places in the 'hood that did it up big time for what was then a reasonable price.

That crab, clams, and the abalone are the things I miss most in modern times. Now-a-days I have come to the realization that everything will be frozen. But if you live in a place where you have the opportunity to buy fresh, ya gotta do it!

2 Likes

Yes, although I smash up the backs a bit ( which I understand don’t add much flavor) so I can fit more, and smash sharp edges so they don’t poke holes in the bag. I think the fiddly claws and picked body pieces make the most difference, and as the season goes on, I pick the crab less and less meticulously.

Melanie Wong on Chowhound had a great thread, about streaming them, among other things.

I remember a recipe where the tomalley is finishd with butter in the backs. Not sure, but there’s this.

Welp. That settles it. I’ve been boiling with a bay leaf or two for I don’t know how long. Never tried steaming because I kept looking at steamer baskets thinking “no way could I make it sit in there still kicking.”

But… duh. It’s it’s own basket.

Steaming next time FOR SURE.

1 Like

I’m not going to lie; they do put up a fuss, and I do them one at a time. :grimacing:

I will spend hours, really!, taking the meat from the Dungeness I buy, but only after gorging on at least a whole crab. The Dungeness comes to my grocery store pre-cooked and when I have bought it in the past I demand to give it the sniff test before asking the clerk to package it up. I freeze the picked over meat in 1-2 cup portions in vacu type seal bags and then those go into a zipper lock bag. I never can get enough to last through the year. I will save and freeze the butter and I use all the body and leg parts except for the end ‘nail’ and the gills for stock. It takes a long time, but for me it is worth it. I eat Dungeness three ways: cracked with lemon and maybe some homemade mayo, in a hot crab open faced sandwich or in a crab quiche. I once had a wonderful curried whole crab at a Chinese restaurant in Oakland and it was divine but a little messy. When I was a kid and when my mother, the cook in the family, would go through all this work she’d have to put the cats outside because they would cry and cry for crab. Our cats now have no idea how great Dungeness crab is.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Oregon:

"Crabs
The ocean is now closed to crabbing through Nov. 30. Crabbing in bays and estuaries remains open.

Bay crab limits are coming out of Garibaldi. Bay crabbing in Newport remains hit and miss. Crabs have hardened and are full of meat.

In addition to Dungeness crab, another Oregon native present in some of Oregon’s estuaries is the red rock crab. Look for them in larger bays with jetties and other rocky habitats. Crabbers can retain 24 red rock crabs of any sex or size. There have also been higher numbers of Pacific rock crab in Yaquina Bay. This crab counts as your “Other” shellfish, which has a daily bag limit of 10 in aggregate with other species that fall in this category (see page 82 of the fishing synopsis for more details). While they look very similar to red rock crab, their long antennae and large claws distinguish them; they sometimes have spots on their abdomen.

Some crabbers in estuaries may also encounter non-native European green crab in their catch this year. While they look similar to Oregon’s native shore crabs, identify them by the three prominent bumps between the eyes and 5 spines down each side of their body (carapace). They are not always green and color is not a good identifying feature. The daily catch limit for European green crab has been increased to 35 per person per day. European green crab can be any size or sex. Learn more about this species."

3 Likes

Who knows. The crab fisherman work their ass off . With fuel prices higher then ever . I pray for them . It’s become a tough start year after year now . Whales , fish and game . Let’s hope everything goes well.

2 Likes

Scott Simon (NPR Weekend Edition Saturday) spoke to a Snow crabber in Kodiak, AK and yesterday’s boadcast was just heartbreaking to listen to.

1 Like

Well today was my lucky day. I found fresh, not previously frozen, Dungeness crab today and bought 3 which came in just under 6 pounds total. Oh joy! Now the work begins…

5 Likes

Score!

1 Like

It’s official

2 Likes

I read that. What about the Northern coasts into Oregon and Washington, do you have information on that?

Of course. Year after year . The whales will eat . While the crab fisherman will wait to put food on their table.
I can see the future of no dungeness. No crab for you .
The fisherman will look for other work.
I’m sure they are sick of the BS .

I do not.

The links here, taken from above, might have something, but they might also focus on California.

I just checked on Washington, but it’s not clear to me yet. There is a commercial season that opened in the Puget Sound on Oct 28, and in other fishing zones here, yet the dates may vary due to the geography of the respective areas & crab populations. I didn’t investigate all of them. I haven’t yet seen store ads advertising fresh dungies, but that could change soon. Recreational crabbing has been open for awhile - in fact DD1 went to the coast in earlier Oct to pull crab pots with her BF, and friend. There crab pots were full and we were gifted about 10. We had quite a feast!

We ate crab till we were stuffed - heaven! Crab served over a bed of buttered orzo. Delicious with additional butter and lemon.

6 Likes