What's For Lunch Houston?

Fountain View Fish Market today. We had 16 oysters, 3 catfish pieces, two jumbo shrimp, plus two side order eggrolls for leftovers all for the princely sum of 23 buckos.

It was perfectly fried and so good we got two more fish and four oysters.

Call us pigs.

2 Likes

See this, this week?

Lopez Ice Cream Truck

2 Likes

Oh, Senor Oysters. We have patronized so many of the same places over the years we must have run into each other sometime! I used to go to Fountainview in the late 70s, early 80s, when I worked on San Felipe. I was there in the last year or so, for old timeā€™s sake. The place was still just as crazy busy as ever. It has endured for so many years with no publicity but word of mouth.

These days I mostly go to Lotus on S. Braeswood, just a few blocks from my home, or J & J on Woodvalley, just inside 610 off Stella Link. Theyā€™re both crazy busy most of the time, too. We do like our U-Buy-We-Fry places.

1 Like

So I read on Houston Food Finder recently about the popular Piggy Po-boy at Antoneā€™sā€¦ WOT? Iā€™ve been going to Antoneā€™s since the 70s (at the original location on Taft) and I have NEVER had a Piggy.

Well, after some reflection I have to concede that I MAY have heard of the Piggy or noticed it on the menu sometime, but I have almost exclusively since the first time, gone for the Original or the Super. Oh, I have tried the Tuna and the Turkey, but always immediately switched back.

So, I had to try this. Fortunately, the Antoneā€™s nearest me (3823 Bellaire, near Weslayan) is one of the oneā€™s still owned by the family, not by the Legacy Restaurants group which also operates the original Ninfaā€™s. The oneā€™s with ā€˜Originalā€™ in the name instead of ā€˜Famousā€™ have never taken the Piggy off the menu.

A counterperson carefully crafted my sandwich for me (:grimacing:) just before closing time. This is minced ham and salami with maybe some mayonnaise for binder and on the bread and some Pickapepper sauce for spice. Phaedra Cookā€™s article for HFF listed both provolone and jalapeno cheeses on hers from one of the Legacy locations but the label on my sandwich only listed jalapeno cheese.

Interesting sandwich. Reminiscent, in a good way, of the deviled ham sandwiches (Underwood brand) I loved as a kid. Donā€™t think Iā€™ll be passing up an Original or a Super often for this, but I may have one from time to time.

I also picked up a jar of the chow-chow, which is not made by Antoneā€™s. I always thought it was and Iā€™ve had a jar before that I donā€™t remember the Antoneā€™s label being pasted on over another label. The original label is for Euro-Mid, Inc. located north of Hempstead Rd., West of TC Jester, inside 610, a food importer.

I saw a sign a we walked in about Churros, but didnā€™t read it through. Iā€™m always so stuffed after lunch, dessert isnā€™t even considered. Damn that salsa and the chips that are required to get it in my face!

Well brucesw, maybe we crossed paths at J&J as Iā€™ve been there a few times.

Iā€™d never heard of Lotus until now, thank-you. Those boiled shrimp in garlic butter, fried shrimp and oysters really look good as do the prices. Weā€™ll have to check out the Kirkwood location.

http://www.lotus-seafood.com/

I meant to say catfish instead of shrimp, but have you tried the shrimp and what do you like there?

Well, I have to admit Iā€™ve never had anything but the fried stuff there. I guess I should try something different, eh??? Last time I went, about 4 mos ago, I got a ā€˜plateā€™ with fish, shrimp and oysters. Wouldnā€™t do it again. But understand I almost never get fried oysters - give 'em to me raw to eat off the half shell or put in a stew and Iā€™m in heaven. Fried - Iā€™d druther not. Shrimp has too heavy a coating for me - I like the fried shrimp at Bennyā€™s or BBQ Inn and Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve had fried shrimp elsewhere that I liked, though itā€™s not coming to me now. Favorite prep for shrimp is cold boiled. Catfish is very good.

Hereā€™s a rave review by Katherine Shilcutt a couple of years ago. As if the place wasnā€™t already busy. I hadnā€™t been in a couple of years. When I first tried it, it was very lackluster. Mustā€™ve had a change of ownership. Looks like there are three locations now?

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve mentioned it here.

FWIW - the combo plate:

ETA: Yeah. Just looking at the pics on the website - I gotta try some of the non-fried stuff.

1 Like

I love fried oysters and anyway and every way except chopped. How can anyone chop an innocent oyster?

1 Like

Some people are just evil.

1 Like

I didnā€™t realize the family still owns any. A daughter is on another forum Iā€™m in and she says her father is divested of all of it, but maybe a relative purchased this one? Iā€™d love to have a real Antoneā€™s again.

I got that from the John Nova Lomax article in Houstonia linked to in the Houston Food Finder article above. Maybe I misinterpreted???

Interesting history of the po-boy in Houston, though.

Hurricane comfort food at El Tiempo Montrose (aka 1308). Oh the things Iā€™ve seen.

First time Iā€™ve had these stuffed shrimp (fresh jalapeƱo and cream cheese) - awesome and after one for each of us, not too hungry anymore. That didnā€™t stop me from what I came for, the crab quesadillas have been on my mind for days.

This location is close to the Allen Parkway/Memorial flooding, but they didnā€™t get water. Had to drive in a puzzle to get here.

3 Likes

Ah yes. Comfort food. Good old Tex-Mex, just like they made it in the good old days :grin:.

I went to Candelariā€™s on Holcombe with a friend for the pizza buffet. Iā€™d been to the one on Washington a few years back (now closed) and thought it was pretty good but there was never much on the buffet to choose from. Not much choice here, either, and really skimpy toppings on the pizza, IMO. The fruit salad bin was practically empty and never replenished the whole time I was there. Best thing was the sausage; Candelariā€™s was a sausage company before getting into the restaurant business. Buffalo Chicken pizza was good - actually first time Iā€™ve ever tried that anywhere. $11.99 plus beverage, tax and tip. Not sure Iā€™d go back but my friend, whoā€™s of Italian extraction and eats pizza with a slice in each hand, was pleased.

We were there about 1 pm; next time Iā€™d insist on getting there right after it opens at 11 am.

2 Likes

You canā€™t go wrong with anything crab at El Tiempo. Iā€™ve had the quesadillas and agree they are exceptional. We switched to crab nachos with the excellent refried beans on the side. The Wifeacita loves those beans, go figure.

Lately itā€™s been the decadent crab enchiladas in a marisco cream sauce. They remind me of the off menu special at the real, not faux Ninfaā€™s on Navigation in the mid 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s when the Laurenzoā€™s owned it.

The enchiladas were part of my rotation of alambres, skewers of beef and ham with veggies, carne asada, and tacos al carbon. I know they were credited with popularizing fajitas but they werenā€™t on the original menu and I think it was at least several years before they appeared.

Lambsy I didnā€™t see the shrimp on the menu but it is huge so I may have missed them. Do you know what they are called?

1 Like

I didnā€™t realize Candelariā€™s on Washington closed! Drive by there several times a week!

I love Candelaris Sausage and theyā€™re still a sausage company. The restaurants will sell you the sausage if you ask nicely!

Shrimp Ratones, also available in chicken. They are under the first section on the menu with the quesos and guacamole. I was looking for something I hadnā€™t tried for a quick appetizer because we were all hungry. Really glad I ordered them and will do it again.

The waiters talked with us for a long while about the storm. They are all good and relieved to be so but everyone seems to need to talk. Fine with me, we are all in this together. Few people were lunching there today, Fridays are usually big. A couple of single people looking storm weary were dining and the waiters spent lots of time with them too and gave extra special service.

I have had the enchilada but not the nachos. Iā€™m partial to the quesadillas because bacon. Iā€™m also a fan of the refrieds! Bacon again I think.

1 Like

I donā€™t think it closed. According to Yelp itā€™s still open and a Yelper posted as recently as Tuesday.

I went there a couple of times and though famous for their sausage I didnā€™t like the flavor nor the pizza. Iā€™m very picky about my pizza and never went back having driven by many times on my way to Romanoā€™s on West Gray.

Thanks for the info. We know a couple of waiters and bartenders there and hope they are well, along with the rest of the staff.