What's For Lunch Houston?

RIIIGHTT??

Haha

1 Like

Well it shur looks fancy and purty and all. I wonder if they could be persuaded to bring you a bowl on the side to empty it into so you could eat it?

Exactly! Was that the place that had the charcuterie presentation with a clothesline and the pieces hanging from clothespins?

But now, about that spicy Italian pizza…

It was ok. The caramelized onions the best part…
Made with Calabrese salami.

1 Like

I’d try a slice.

Yes! That’s the place, they gave me a free soup too like Brucesw mentioned. I was replying to him when something went wrong. I would go to Don’s on Bellaire for my banh mi fix so when I found this place I was happy. As for the construction it’s much better but still there. There name did change a couple of times, I think they will stick with Rooster.

1 Like

Not sure, but they do have a butcher shop also with a separate entrance. For a while Bob the bagel guy was set up in the butcher shop.

B&B Butcher

Don is excellent although I haven’t been in several years. I like to stand at the counter and watch the assembly line. Banh mi and cafe sua da - that’s all I’ve ever had and always to go because there’s never any place to sit!

I need to get over there sometime. The place looks very good, the bone-in chopped steak notwithstanding.

They have the best French coffee. I saw a couple that ordered a whole chicken it was flat on the plate, when they went to cut into it I heard it crack. Yum crispy chicken.

1 Like

“My neighbor ordered what was called a “bone in chopped steak.” Chopped steak molded around a tomahawk bone. :joy::joy:”

I hate hate hate that whole concept. Chopped steak? No problem.

Wrapped around an old rib bone? C’mon…

1 Like

That sounds borderline disgusting, and on second thought it is disgusting.

I don’t get the whole tomahawk ribeye thing. Bone in yes, but what are you going to do with the long bone, grasp in your hand and gnaw on the meat in a nice restaurant?

Carrabba’s Kirby does a Tomahawk for two Tuesday, a thirty ounce cut. I keep threatening the Wifeacita that I’m going to order it for me and she can have a bite or two at most.

I’ve seen it and wonder how much of that thirty ounces is bone as I know I can easily dispatch it. It seems like you’re paying extra for that bone.

Agree with you and Senior Oyster, it was laughable and so I laughed. The actual repurposed bone was burnt to a crisp somehow as well as you can see. You know, neighbor liked the chopped steak part. For my part, I haven’t had much here that I found worth the hype. The pizza is nothing special, service is slow, prices are premium. View on upstairs patio is great on nice days. Probably been here 5-7 X since it opened.

1 Like

This week has been an embarrassment of riches at lunchtime. If you can’t get away for a vacation, just act like you’re on vacation.

This was the whole catfish at Mandola’s. Really excellent.

Later, I split an order of spaghetti carbonara with pork belly at Liberty Kitchen and Oysterette. They so kindly split it into two different bowls with an egg on each of them. I love this dish.

1 Like

Oh Good Heavens, Lambowner! You SHOULD be embarrassed. Tsk, tsk,tsk :smile:.

I went to Shanghai River on Westheimer in River Oaks recently with some friends. Lambowner has mentioned it a few times. I got the Szechuan Spicy Dumplings as recommended but missed the suggestion to ask for extra spice. They were good but not very spicy by my standards. They drew a lot of attention from my tablemates, one of whom tried to plant some Orange Chicken on my plate and then help himself to a dumpling. Hah! I foiled that with a loud cry. :angry:.

I also had the Singapore Rice Noodles, the dish I ordered at Mein that was such a disappointment. SR’s version was better though still not as good as Kim Son on Jefferson, the place I first tried it.

Yay! Love those dumplings or rather the peanut sauce! Seriously though, the dumplings themselves are silky and tender.

I love the retro decor, pics of Marvin Zindler and the endless looping of show tunes overhead!

1 Like

That’s a little odd…

Yeah me too. The momster and I had lunch there a couple of weeks ago after a doctor appointment. I just had the twice cooked pork lunch special. Was really good though.

Today we had a lunch celebration at Lopez. I had carnitas. Yum.

1 Like