What's for Lunch 2019

Pistachio sauce (finely ground pistachio, olive oil, salt, pepper etc)

Home-cured salmon. (I used ground juniper berries and scotch. Simple.)

Make this often in the winter.

A dozen is reduced to this much, without the shells.

4 Likes

Looks Delicious!!
I had a piece of salmon and cured as well with sugar, salt, pepper corns, fresh dill and a splash of vodka! (a picture in a day or two when it is ready to emerge…)
Now for the bagels?..

2 Likes

Tyrolean Speck, blood sausage (from Düsseldorf) and foie.

A typical north German light meal called “Kutterbrot” (pronounced “kootter-broat”).

Last week was carnival and I made a couple of things typically eaten during the silly partying carousing days in Köln, Germany, but then my versions are a bit different.

Purple sweet potato “Rösti” with apple mush. In Germany you get potato fritters, also with apple mush.

Tempeh tomato paste on bread. In Germany it’s raw pork or beef mince on half a roll.

Herring with quark and beetroot

I don’t know the name, maybe @linguafood knows. Dough has flour, ground almond, booze, eggs etc.

Berliner is a must during carnival. These are store-bought.

5 Likes

Schupfnudeln?

I meant name in English. In German it’s Mutzenmandeln (mandeln = almond, hence the shape).

Ah! I’m not sure there is an equivalent English name! We don’t have anything similar in the US.

“Doughnut” is about as close as it gets…

https://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idforum=1&idThread=831027&lp=ende

My grandparents from “of the pale settlement”…today the Ukraine…called it “Mandel Brot”…

1 Like

Thanks, both.

Avocado and burrata “frittatas”.

Same as above but with corn, cheese and sweet onion.

Beetroot Rösti with Speck (half yellow and half Chioggia). Apple mush, cured salmon, quark and honeys alongside.

7 Likes

Homemade Spanish chorizo patties, sautéed asparagus, and an egg. Meant to make romesco but…

4 Likes

Now, that’s a lunch worth savoring!

Tamari marinated trout roe. (Soba noodles not shown)

Smoked eel is so rich and expensive it’s only a treat once in a while.

Corn, sweet onion and cheese “frittata”.

Burrata and avocada baked in bun tray.

5 Likes

Fried rice with some leftover seafood.

SV duck leg, shredded, flavoured with Turkish hot pepper paste.

Lidl has Nürnberg(-style) sausages and other German foodstuffs when they have German themed week.

7 Likes

My, O My!

Lemon scones for lunch. Not just one but two! Made with light buttermilk, cream butter and the dry mix from JoC. Lots of lemon juice and zest. The dark fleck is basil.

7 Likes

Your photos make me hungry!

Thank you!

Recent lunches: Swedish-style herring. Basically with boiled eggs and cream.

Typical seafood from my part of the world.

5 Likes

Those crab claws :heart_eyes:

Apologies for the messy plating but keeping it real!
Cod in miso butter with carm. onions.

9 Likes

Looks fantastic!

That miso butter is so good. I believe I learned about that reading WFD.

2 Likes