What's for Lunch 2018

I vote Korea!

I’m not a big fan of the typical mayo tuna salad but we needed lunch and there was a can of tuna so I added a bunch of stuff for a Mediterranean style salad; tuna, pickled jalapeño, capers, sun dried tomatoes, parsley, basil, mint, a dab of mayo, olive oil, and lemon juice. Served on toasted rosemary sourdough.

4 Likes

A couple of things I brought back from Chisinau.

2 euros for a kilo of smoked sprats! Here you get a tin for the same amount of money.

Forgot to make a photo of the roe in cream! Basically it’s just roe and cream mixed together, then spread on bread.

2 Likes

Was the cabbage fresh or pickled?

Lunch yesterday at the casual cafe restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America. Fully staffed by students from the hostess to the cooks and dishwashers. Our server was definitely a bit green but really sweet and got our orders right (everyone even training to be a cook also works a while as a server).
Dad promised to eat the salmon off the poke bowl for me so that’s what i ordered , delicious mix of lightly pickled cucumber, edamame with sesame oil, shredded daikon, and underneath was a quinoa pilaf that was surprisingly good and included some chewy grains (farro?)

Mom and dad shared the chicken salad sandwich that came on a big croissant roll with housemade potato chips in the bag on the plate since they both wanted to get a bakery treat afterwards (which I apparently didn’t take photos of) .

We loved the meal, highly recommended if you’re in the area

5 Likes

I have one down the street from my work, I have to go now.

A culinary institute…? If so then totally check out their cafe! They get graded on the size of the cuts and there’s a teacher tasting everything before it is ok to use for the dining room

https://www.opentable.com/opus-too?page=1

Not exactly Culinary Institute but a culinary-school-run restaurant.

Oh fantastic! I would totally go check it out…

This light meal is called “Kutterbrot” in Germany’s north.

Basically, it’s scrambled eggs and herring on a slice of bread.

Shrimps are full of roe. This is half the reason why I buy them with shell on. The shelled version costs between 40-50 euros per kilo. They ship them to Morocco to be peeled then ship back here. The shell is soft enough to eat. In Belgium you can get them like this to snack with your beer.

I eat so many cherries these days. Buy 4kg a week. Potted a few, with scotch.

Love them with Austrian pancakes.

4 Likes

Shin Ramyun instant ramen with an egg mixed in, a slice of the finest Kraft American cheese on top, and some frozen spinach.

5 Likes

Clean out the frig rice salad. Brown, white, wild rice, tomatoes, parsley, mint, Korean spicy cucumbers and their juice, sesame seeds and oil, and lemon juice. Nice refreshing lunch.

6 Likes

From last weekend.

Taking herring to another level. SV rhubarb, confit yolk, horseradish-quark.

Simplest is still best. In the small dish is quark and SV rhubarb for the potatoes.

SV duck leg, shredded and “potted”. Melted duck fat in a saucepan with juniper berries the poured over and let sit in the fridge to set.

2 Likes

Great for a quick meal. Is instant ramen = instant noodle?

Yep, its a Korean instant noodle that is pretty easy to find here:

http://www.nongshimusa.com/homev2/our-products/shin-brand/shin-ramyun/

OH this one, I have bought that, quite spicy, no? Love instant noodle!

1 Like

From the weekend:

Herring with beetroot and cream.

First time trying this tofu skin. It has a texture. The tofu taste is almost undetectable. I prefer a somewhat strong tofu taste so not buying this thing again.

I shall eat shells today.

Melons with Tyrolean Speck in top left corner.

Anchovies, garlic, parsley, lime juice, olive oil pounded in a mortar for the razors.

5 Likes

Food always looks amazing Presunto. Those razor clams are calling out to me.

Fresh tofu skin at a restaurant that makes tofu in-house can be incredible. The first time I tried it, I made an involuntary “ohhhh…” :blush:

You eat natto?

1 Like

Yes, I like natto. Though, never with rice unless when in Japan. Here at home I spread it on bread. A Japanese tourist on Namibia safari last year let me taste some of her dry natto, didn’t know this version existed. She eats it like peanuts/a snack.

Fresh tofu skin is a non-existent luxury in my food hell.

Thanks, @Scubadoo97! Sending the clams your way!