What's for low carb breakfast, lunch or dinner?

I’d love to learn more about shirataki noodles. It sounds like a mushroom. I take it that it’s a low carb alternative to pasta. What does it taste like? Where does it work well and where does it work less well when used to sub as pasta. Are there good brands and ones to stay away from? I’d like to give it a shot.

1 Like

It does, but it’s actually made from the insoluable fiber of the konjac root, aka glucomannan powder. Americans mostly know it as a low-carb substitute for wheat pasta, but it has been eaten in Japan for centuries as a delicious food in its own right. IMO, it doesn’t have much flavor at all of its own, but it is a good carrier of flavor. The texture is closest to rice noodles, but a bit springier and more toothsome. The thicker the noodles, the more the texture becomes almost squid-like.

I’ve tried a few shelf-stable brands from Amazon as well as some fresh ones from Hmart, and in my experience, the shape/size of the noodle plays a bigger role in overall impression than the brand. I liked this brand of rice-shaped shirataki, but husband thought the texture was weird due to the shape/size: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SH73NVV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 However, he loves these flat fettucine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LP76SZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, as well as the fettucine I make myself using glucomannan, pickling lime and a pasta press.

The shelf stable brands are convenient but extremely expensive in comparison to the fresh brands I buy at Hmart. These J Basket brand noodles (long and thin spaghetti, basically) were $2.99 for 14 oz at Hmart last week, compared with $8-9 for 14 oz of shelf stable brands (they usually come in 7 oz pouches and cost $4+ per pouch) https://yummybazaar.com/products/jfc-shirataki-noodles-white-yam-14-oz-397-g?variant=38135746887859&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_bieBhDSARIsADU4zLcGwgyav7EKNsSchhx1SaWitKldlbYM-PLJAywz7gNWj8u9tawBQUUaAtHpEALw_wcB

IMO 14 oz is a good amount for two servings of a side dish or underlayer. The noodles are 97% water, so they are not filling at all unless you sauce them with something rich/bulky. IME they are much better as a sub for rice or rice noodles in Asian dishes than as a sub for wheat pasta - they get lost in thick tomato or cream sauces and since they don’t exude any starch, butter/oil sauces just slide right off them. I like them as a base for mapo tofu, stir fries of all types, Thai curries, or as a ramen noodle sub in a rich broth. The rice shape makes really good fried rice (IMO, DH disagrees). Lots of traditional Japanese preparations out there as well.

One more important detail - glucomannan is also used as a fiber supplement to combat constipation. Eating shirataki noodles in large quantities, especially if your system is not accustomed to them, could have unexpected effects. Proceed with caution! :wink:

3 Likes

I made a few containers of Julia Turshen’s Green Eggs with Ham last night for this week’s breakfasts. Easy and delish.

Thank you! So informative. I will proceed with caution! Our Asian mart in town is quite small and I haven’t seen them carry any fresh noodles. But when we next go to the big city, I’ll see if I can twist the arms of my companions to hit up Uwajimaya and try to find these noodles fresh.

You’re welcome! I actually searched Amazon just after I posted to see if there are any new shelf-stable brands available and found these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DMBJTVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much more reasonable price than other brands so I ordered a box - will report back!

1 Like

Scrambled eggs, leftover beef brisket and pickled radishes.

6 Likes

Salmon rillettes.

1 Like

Chinese “gai lan” with oyster sauce, sashimi and pickled ginger.

9 Likes

From Eatally in Vegas.

It was okay, but they said there would be mortadella. There was no mortadella. :rage:

4 Likes

What I received tonight (it isn’t low carb, but could be worse )

What I had ordered tonight

Missing the egg, garlic tomatoes, olives and pickles. I was okay with no olives or pickles, I but was looking forward to the garlic tomatoes, and I like the hard boiled egg as part of the plate! I’m waiting for the email that asks me what I thought of the meal :joy:. Almost sent a message to the owner, but decided to wait for that email.

4 Likes

Charcuterie and fromage platter with red wine. No pics, because you all know what that looks like! :wine_glass:

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I apologize for not remembering where you live. I’m in NJ and my local grocery store, Shoprite, has a few varieties of shirataki noodles. They are in a refrigerator near the produce section along with other vegetarian products such as tofu. You may find it somewhere more mundane than the Asian grocery. Though if you are like me you’ll use any excuse to go to the big Asian store.

1 Like

Healthbots :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Thanks all, the bot has been deleted! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

PNW- WA, and I will check the regular grocery produce area. I love the big Asian store, but it’s 90 minutes away, so unless it’s on route, it’s not a destination by itself.

1 Like

Chinese sausages and BBQ pork belly

2 Likes

We have a really tiny combo Asian and Mexican market about 10 minutes from home. The supermarket sized store is about 30 minutes. A market 90 minutes could be a a destination ride for me but not that often.

1 Like