What's for low carb breakfast, lunch or dinner?

“Breakfast” (at 3 PM) was two eggs scrambled with grated mozzarella, ichimi togarashi & torn basil.

Delish.

3pm breakfast…??? You must be living the dream !!!

1 Like

A rockstar’s life. Sans the fame or the cash :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh. Not a helluva lot of action here.

My lunch today: avocado tuna salad. Hit the spot.

4 Likes

Hello LCers! Nice to find you here again - StoneSoup (mcf) mentioned this site in a CH post but I forgot the name and when I went back to find the post, it was mysteriously missing. Anyway, looks like there’s some lovely low-carb cooking going on here!

Tonight is low-carb leftovers chez moi - there’s some qeema I made earlier in the week that is terrific in lettuce wraps, and some spicy beef stir fry with peanuts. We’ll see which one the man wants, I’ll eat the other. We’re having guests for dinner tomorrow, so they’re getting a flank steak roulade and tofu mac and cheese, with a loaf of sourdough in case anyone can’t live without carbs. I’m thinking of StoneSoup’s Boule de Neige for dessert…

1 Like

Lunch today: leftover pork tenderloin with mushroom sauce and half an avocado with salt & lemon.

1 Like

Where have the low-carbers gone, long time passing?

Anywhos. My low-carb brunch today consisted of 3 turkey livers and one heart, lightly dusted with seasoned flour, then briefly sautéed in chicken fat & butter & deglazed with maple balsamic.

More pepper to finish. Heaven on a plate – which is why I am very much looking forward to even more post-Thxgiving turkey bits that’ll show up in stores for dirt cheap.

1 Like

I could never develop a taste for chicken hearts, taste isn’t the problem just so chewy.

I had a chef salad Russian dressing on side.

Well, turkey hearts are a whole different story… no, not really.

If they’re chewy, you overcooked them. They have a bit of a spring, like good sausage, but otherwise are tender and delicious.

2 Likes

I guess I’ve only had them overlooked! I’ve never made them have only tried them at rodizio restaurants and they are chewy!

Going to cheat tonight, med rare 8 oz diner burger and jumbo onion rings. Back to it tomorrow with smoked beef ribs & broccoli. Going to in-laws for Thanksgiving. Only thing that might tempt me is fresh pecan pie if its there.

Going to cook off the free turkey Monday. Will get some good low carb meals out of that. Got back from Jamaica a few weeks back. Going to get a few small chickens, 1/2 them, Jerk season them and grill them. Have palm trees & lots of booze in the Florida room. Little Marley through the speakers and I am there. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m going to cheat big time tonight, as we’re invited to a “pasta parade” a friend is hosting. Oy. And this after an entire weekend of good eats in SF.

Well, back on the wagon tomorrow :slight_smile:

Speaking of cheating I recently returned from a week in Aruba in which I ate and drank as my heart desired. I didn’t sit there and have pints of ice cream and chocolate cake out of a box, I did have some sweets. I drank alcohol for the first time in 5 mos, and I just “lived”.

Know what? Now that I’m home I could care less about any processed food, cookies, chips or any of that garbage. Drinking? Nah…I’m pretty content leaving that in Aruba as well. Even Thanksgiving I’m going to pass on the stuffing and potatoes, some turkey and veggies and I am good.

I’m very surprised at my complete lack of desire for any of the above mentioned. Oh, I even dropped coffee from my daily routine. I better take my disguise off, I’m really starting not to recognize myself! Lol

2 Likes

I am a firm believer in cheating (with food) once and a while. Its just too damn good!

I have tons of leaves to rake tomorrow so I figure I will work it off.

On the whole though, I think a reasonable low carb diet is doable in the long run & the benefits are very apparent.

2 Likes

Jamaica was an all inclusive and between the booze & food a conservative estimate would probably be in the 10,000 plus calories per day.

Agree with the lack of craving processed foods & general junk foods. At this point all they offer is convenience.

Not giving up bourbon & scotch but with the exception of an occasional low carb Michelob Ultra I pretty much cut out beer. Still enjoy a glass of wine with dinner from time to time but pretty much reserved for very special meals.

Visiting the parentals this week and trying to rein in my mother’s desire to cook everything we ever liked as kids. I’ve been having coffee and bacon for breakfast, which is a nice change from my usual coffee and eggs! Last night we made Italian meatloaf, which is a mixture of beef and hot Italian sausage, mixed with crushed tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, pine nuts and spices, then stuffed with a ricotta and parmesan filling. Delicious and low carb if you use pork rinds instead of breadcrumbs in the meat!

3 Likes

That sounds very good!

Must try this! A bit more deets, please?

I’m sorry, but quinoa and beans are definitely not low carb.

Here’s the recipe - it’s really delicious!

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. hot Italian sausage
1 small onion, minced
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 c. crushed tomatoes
2 T. parsley (fresh or dried)
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
3 eggs
½ c. toasted pine nuts
2 c. grated mozzarella
1 ½ c. bread crumbs (pork rinds)
1 ½ c. ricotta
Dried or fresh herbs (oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, whatever you like) to taste

Mix the ricotta with half the parmesan, half the mozzarella, one egg and some parsley; set aside. Combine all remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and shape into a loaf. Make a well in the meat and seal the ricotta mixture inside, leaving a small steam vent on top. Bake for 1 ¼ hrs. at 350° (cover with foil if it becomes too brown). Allow to rest a few minutes before cutting/serving. Serve with tomato sauce on the side.

5 Likes