What's for low carb breakfast, lunch or dinner?

So glad you found the right way to eat for your needs. When I was young, I ate more than my father and brother and was too skinny, drank shakes to try and gain!

At 30, insulin sensitivity starts to decline in earnest, and at 40 kind of precipitously, so you were right on schedule! It comes back, though, with the right diet.

The sauce I used recently was Capo di Roma; plum maters, no junk oils, etc.

I tend not to eat breakfast, but when I do it’s most often dinner leftovers; can just eat so many eggs, even with great bacon. When I eat eggs, I’ll often make an omelet filled with roasted ratatouille and cheese, or mushrooms, onion, cheese. Once histamine became an issue, my standard breakfast that I haven’t fallen out of love with became fresh mozarella, with yellow or green tomato slices, heaps of fresh basil leaves, evoo, s and fgbp. Looks beautiful on a white plate, too.

Gotta think outside the breakfast box for sure, or you’ll die of boredom. Also, for dinner, I will serve a baked shrimp/feta/tomato dish over sauteed spinach from a giant clamshell box for just the two of us. I have a great winter salad of pork tenderloin, fresh spinach, nuts red onion with a warm dressing from the tenderloin pain poured over it. Julienned zucchini noodles make a great base for meaty sauces; I first used them for a shrimp/chorizo dish base. Gratins can be very fast and easy (cauli, cream, shredded gruyere, garlic s and fgbp) or mandoline sliced rutabaga or turnip for a slightly more laborious version with tons of fresh herbs I love to make.

Over time, you can build a repertoire, look at recipes and figure out how to make them reduced or very low carb with adjustments.

1 Like

Breakfast is trying. Little bowl of strawberry’s & blueberry’s is refreshing. Small sliver of melon also breaks things up. Also been cooking large batches or bacon & sausage links which can be nuked to re-heat. Switched to the jumbo 2 oz links as its easier to brown the outside and retain juices inside. Been adding hot peppers & onions to eggs. I also keep some hard boiled eggs on hand.

Dinner is much easier. Last night it was shrimp scampi, tonight its grilled hot Italian sausage, sliced with melted prov cheese & fresh marinara sauce on top.

Just finished making a batch of Jicama chips to scoop up some homemade guacamole.

1 Like

Another quick grab and go breakfast is egg bake in a muffin tin or square pan to cut into single servings. Just mix up a mess of eggs with ham or pancetta, cheese, onions, peppers, whatever you like, including baby maters, mozzarella and sausge, and bake til firm, but not dry, still moist. You can freeze them in single servings and nuke and go. You can line the muffin tin with ham slices to form a cup for it before baking, too.

That sounds great & very convenient. Is the ham “cup” made out of deli thin slice? Oven temp 350 ?

Low card crab cakes or crab balls

This one is pretty simple. Take what ever recipe is your favorite and sub light mayo for regular mayo & sub Red Mill fine ground almond meal for the bread crumbs/binder

I use super lump blue crab (1 lb) , less shells than regular lump. I cut back to 1/4 cup of light mayo and added lemon juice to add moisture in place of additional mayo. For the binder, I use 1/4 cup of the Almond meal which is just enough to hold things together. Balls are easier than cakes because you don’t have to flip, just roll them around. Outside gets nice and crispy without a crumb coating. Little less yield than standard cakes/balls with bread crumbs on the inside & outside but just as good & I think better as the crab flavor comes through better.

As always, let mixture sit in fridge for at least 1/2 hr prior to forming into cakes/balls and once formed let sit another 1/2 hr before cooking.

1 Like

Here’s one recipe for reference: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/baked-eggs-and-mushrooms-in-ham-crisps-106150

These are great for company brunch, too.

ETA: You can easily just use the ham cup for a mixed omelet/frittata mixture and bake til just done, but still moist.

2 Likes

I always use full fat may, organic canola, organic from Trader Joe’s or regular Sir Kensington. Don’t they add modified food starch to lite mayo?

Sounds like a good crab dish! Phillips crab cakes used to be lowish carb, like 12 grams, I think, but almond meal is a much better deal, and they are so easy to make.

That looks yummy. Printed and in the brides bin. Thanks! That recipe should arouse old JR.

2 Likes

Does look good thanks for sharing!

1 Like

If you guys liked that, you’ll love this; it is the most wonderful dish as written but no good for me/us. It’s still wonderful with other stuff, but between celery root, white turnips, and rutabaga, the latter wins for sweetness. I use all the fat, no skimping, and the herbal garlic smell while it bakes is to die for. I’ll be making it for the Irish contingent with real spuds for Thanksgiving, when all I eat is turkey, green veggie, and my home made low carb savory cranberry sauce:

I always have fresh herbs growing outside or in the fridge and make a half recipe of this for just the two of us often in winter.

Potatoes!?!?! Are you trying to kill me(us)???

My wife is in the middle ground between cutting fat/calories and cutting carbs. Hellman’s regular is 1 gram of carbs p/tablespoon & the light is also 1 gram p/tablespoon but 1/2 the calories.

1/4 cup Almond meal = 6 grams carbs.
1/4 cup Hellmans mayo = 2.25 grams of carbs.
seasoning & 1 lb of crab adds say 4 carbs

Total is about 12 grams of carbs divided by say 12 nice size balls is 1 gram of carbs per ball.

I have been working with crab for years and the almond meal is every bit as good as bread crumbs and maybe even better. Key is let mixture sit & don’t compress when forming.

1 Like

Nope, but I give the people what they want at Thanksgiving. I stay on the straight and narrow, and have a small bit of dessert after two the three days of prep, cooking and working my ass off on Tday.

They’re Irish; enough butter, salt and sugar and they’re easy to please. :wink:

“Breakfast” at 3:15 was Benton’s double smoked & two scrambled eggs seasoned with ichimi togarashi.

1 Like

I’ve been doing everything but cooking lately, but for today… breakfast of fresh mozzarella with basil leaves, sliced yellow mater and evoo, s and fgbp.

Dinner out; I had a house ground grass fed burger with bacon, avocado and cheddar, cooked med.

And my second glass of red wine in over a year, no major histamine reaction (yay me!).

2 Likes

I generally try to avoid carbs but lately I’ve been eating a lot more rice/bread/pasta.

I had a relvelatory breakfast the other day though - I’m sure we’ve all had steak & eggs before (aka the greatest breakfast egg combo of all time) but a local market had veal strips on sale…so I made strip steak and veal strip and eggs (yes, that’s a regular steak AND a veal steak). Oh. my.

1 Like

Wow…nice.

While I-Hop is most known for their pancakes, believe it or not, they have a very good steak tips and eggs breakfast which has become my go to dish there. Give it a try sometime.

Just made some BLT&C lettuce wraps. Not really reinventing the wheel here but took some iceberg leaves stuffed with bacon, tomato, shark cheddar topped with some mayo. Nice breakfast “alternative”.

Mmmmmshark cheddar. With or without fin? '-D