What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

BLT and freezer fries.

20 Likes

Dinner last night was kohlrabi, a tomato and a corn on the cob. It was accompanied by a blanc de blanc.

17 Likes

Those look positively amazeballz :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Beautiful! And I want to dive into that spinach :drooling_face:

1 Like

Good friends who are heading back to the city next week for the fall & winter had us over for a seasonal meal and a fire.

They’d roasted some “not shishito” peppers they got from a family member to a wonderful char. Only problem was they were HOT AF, i.e. practically inedible… certainly not an app or snack unless you wanted to punish your tongue for no damn good reason. I actually spat out the piece I’d bitten off, and it took a good 5 minutes for things/tongues/pain levels to return to normal.

Thusly, the caprese app lost most of its cheese pretty quickly bc the mozza slices made for a comforting, milky blanket to soothe our abused mouths :rofl:

We sat down to a warming, spiced winter squash soup with yogurt, and the main event was a hearty beef stew served over egg noodz with a lovely salad on the side.

Time at the fire was lovely, even though clouds prevented us from adoring the stars outside of our light-polluted town.

23 Likes

Frozen burger and fries, double cheese, lettuce, tomato ,fried onions, mayo on a potato bun and catsup for dippin’

20 Likes

Last BLT of the year with my homegrown heirlooms :sob:

28 Likes

A good buddy of ours who moved away a couple of years ago is visiting from NoVA with 100 oysters in tow. And so, we are hosting the weekly poker game in his honor, and will be slurping bivalves for the early part of the evening :yum: :oyster: :oyster: :oyster:

24 Likes

100 oysters? That’s a party!

2 Likes

Had received my Rancho Gordo order awhile back and knew I need to start using some of the packages of Royal Corona beans.

Came up with this dinner that turned out VERY well. It needs a crusty bread to sop up the sauce/juices, which I’ll remember next time. Because there will be a next time!

Makes enough for 3 servings, the way I made it/wrote it up.

Royal Corona Bean, Sausage & Broccoli-Tomato Bake

1 cup dried Royal Corona beans (or any extra large white beans, but Corona beans are amazingly meaty and perfect for this recipe)
1/2 cup finely diced onions
1/4 cup finely diced carrots
1/4 cup finely diced celery
2 medium garlic cloves, minced

2 cups broccoli florets
2 strips thick bacon, cut into large dice
1 large sweet Italian sausage
1 15-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, more to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated Parm-Reg

In the morning, soak beans in water for 7-8 hours (water should cover beans by 2"). Drain beans.

Sauté diced onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil in same bean soaking pot until vegetables are soft, adding garlic in last 30 seconds. Add drained Corona beans and cover with water (2" water above the beans). Bring to a full boil for 10-15 minutes, then turn down to a low simmer for 1-2 hours until beans are just barely tender (it should have more bite than tenderness.) Add more water if needed after first hour. (Time is dependent on size and age of beans, so check regularly.) Scoop 3/4 cup to 1 cup of bean water out to set aside, then drain beans.

Roast broccoli florets in olive oil and s/p until just starting to brown. Set aside.

Sauté bacon until semi-crispy and remove to paper towel to drain. In bacon fat, brown the sausage on all sides, about 5 minutes. (It doesn’t need to cook all the way through as it’ll finish cooking in the oven). Remove from the fat to rest for 15 minutes, then slice into 1" thick slices.

Put the beans, roasted broccoli, and sliced sausage in a casserole dish. In the pot you cooked the beans in, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bean water, and fresh thyme, and stir to blend, heat and thicken a bit. Add LOTS of freshly ground pepper at this point. Also, I added a pinch of salt, to taste.

Pour tomato mixture over beans and sausage in casserole dish, adding bacon on top, then stirring gently to cover everything. Sprinkle with Parm-Reg and bake in a 350° oven for 45-60 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes, then serve from a large ladle in a shallow bowl, sprinkled with more Parm-Reg if you like.

Definitely needs crusty buttered bread or rolls to sop up the tomato sauce.

Pre-cheese…

Post-cheese, pre-bake…

Post-bake…

32 Likes

Air fried Costco shrimp, leftover rice reheated with edamame, soy sauce, and butter. Peas with tarragon and some salted chiles on my plate.

22 Likes

That looks good, could you send the name or a pic of the shrimp? So I can look for it at my Costco?
Thank you!

Thanks for sharing your recipe Linda, sounds so delish!!! :yum:

2 Likes

Beef and potato at a conference :joy:

Also, squash soup topped with diced apple and pepitas.

Not sure why the waiter didn’t provide me with a roll or a dessert.

I’ve got 2 apples and some candy corn in my hotel room to supplement this meal.

14 Likes

10 Likes

That is a looker!

2 Likes

Polenta with manchego cheese, chorizo and shrimp, mixed greens salad, radish, orange mini bell, avocado, green onion. sherry vinegar & oo dressing. Manhattan and sangria.

26 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro, in Keyport, NJ, including duck and butternut squash tart; excellent fig, gorgonzola, and Benton bacon toast; blackened pork chop with spicy pulled pork jambalaya; crab meat stuffed swordfish; crispy boudin spring rolls; voodoo shrimp; Excellent German chocolate cake bread pudding to go. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

17 Likes

A nice, oil-roasted BC king salmon with a Meyer lemon sauce. Spinach and shallot gratin, and also a simple potato gratin.

Gratin, BTW, is the currant Dish of the Quarter here on Hungry Onion.

26 Likes

I’ve bought these before. Sometimes they’re a hit, sometimes a miss. I recommend preparing them any way other than baking in the oven. They’re habit forming, too.

2 Likes